The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I literally put down
Zelda
Mario
Ffxv
Neir

Wife went crazy with options, wanted ffxv, then she didn't feel like watching the prep vid and went for neir

Siliconemelons

all the sqeenix shit is on sale in steam

bought FF5 as I only have the psx CD version, and god knows where the CD is.

Is the "refreshed" 6 worth it for the smoothed out sprites? Also is ff4 the after years forth 8$ when all the others ate 8$ :)

- edit: never finished 5 or 3...

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Is the "refreshed" 6 worth it for the smoothed out sprites? Also is ff4 the after years forth 8$ when all the others ate 8$ :)

Thought I remember few people saying ff4 the after years wasn't that great, but I've never played it. Recall someone saying playing the later release of ff4 with the updated graphics was well worth it, but avoid the after years.

Siliconemelons

I did get the 3ds FF4 and played it, was great...dunno if I managed to finish it...like the 3 remake- the steam versions look like the 3ds ones, just smoothed out :)

I will stick with 5, the visuals are kinda...ehh...but whatever. Never did get past...some part with a bunch of airships? I had some jacked up jobs - I dont like exploring or grinding new jobs- I like to keep people in jobs I like...its also why I got stuck in FF3.... at the mana tree part? or was that ff5. also...I may have gotten stuck there on another attempted playthough lol

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

I haven't played The After Years myself, but I have literally never heard someone say they thought it was a good game. I'm sure I'll play it someday for completionist reasons, but eh.

I personally hate the refreshed sprites in FF6, and consider the GBAdvance version to be the best version of that one.

FF5 is my favorite now, but I see you don't like job systems so idk. At least it's not as bad as FF3 as far as the amount of situations where it forces you to use certain jobs... It's open enough that people are able to do single class challenges and whatnot.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I played through 4 like a couple weeks ago since it had been sitting in my backlog forever, didn't mind the graphics too much but the terrible UI port was quite frustrating, and some of the old school designs felt pretty bullshit(bosses spamming bad breath constantly hitting everyone with every status until you're lucky enough to resist confuse enough times or the boss decides that he has other options on his turn like attacking someone). The only 2 times I wiped were to that and another boss spamming his ultimate damaging move over and over too, but then restarting the bosses they didn't do this shit which was weird.

Gonna grab 5 eventually but not in a hurry to play an old FF again for a while.

Siliconemelons

I did play ff4 on the 3ds and it felt "easy" from the normal snes version - I did enjoy it-- but the UI was made for 2 screens and touch - so going to PC it could get jacked up I am sure.

I don't mind job Systems... I just hate when you are forced into min maxing and grinding to do so- or you get stuck with a use case scenario- or "you just got new job X!" So you swap someone to it then - boooom boss of death, and your nub person brings you destruction.

BraveDefault stepped on this line a lot for me, but I did enjoy it. So I'll give good ol FF5 a shot again- the new sprites are...i dunno...

I still get annoyed at the stark sprite v concept art differences - it's even more now that they added character portrait in all text and talking.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
BD had pretty fast grinding though. Not sure about FF5 but in BD I sat for a few hours grinding and maxed every job on every character just so I could do whatever. This wasn't even really needed and I could have sticked to just maxing certain jobs on certain chars and just make a team but eh it wasn't a big deal, the instant encounter mode thing and how fast the battles were made it alright.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Man FF15 looks freaking amazing on pc. First time playing it and I like it so far. It feels almost like a movie and I find myself just wandering around and just killing monsters.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I got to Chap 8 of FFXV before quitting last time and just the thought of playing the game makes me want to do anything else rather than finish the story. First FF main title I've not completed aside from FFXIII which I just didn't play at all maybe if/when it's the last game I have left in my 30+ game back log I'll revisit.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
still chipping away at my quest to play every mainline Final Fantasy game, after taking a break to beat World of Final Fantasy. decided to split my time between FF4 and FF7 for now.

i've been debating about what version of FF4 i want to play for like a year now -- the original SNES translation was quite a bit easier than the Japanese version, and subsequent re-releases like the GameBoy Advance version just made the game easier instead of restoring the original difficulty. the 3D remake is supposed to be significantly more difficult, but i'm doing this partially for retro gaming reasons and really wanted the original sprites.

well, it never occurred to me before to look for it, but when the idea popped in my head i knew it must exist -- i decided to seek out an English patch of the original Japanese Super Famicom release. and it exists! about to start FF4 in all its original difficult glory. an experience many English fans have never had. i'm stoked.

Siliconemelons

Re: FF4 versions

I do not know how to explain this... the orig snes or 16bit variant of FF4, it felt "big" it felt epic... the 3d version felt "small" - its hard to say...its literally a visual thing - the SNES version is "zoomed out" while the 3d is zoomed in more- even battles - when you see fucking giant ass golbez or the fire guy etc etc and your little tiny sprite...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Man, I am about 6 quests into FFXV and I can't get over how bad this combat is. Does it get better or do you just hold down a button for basically the entire game?

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Man, I am about 6 quests into FFXV and I can't get over how bad this combat is. Does it get better or do you just hold down a button for basically the entire game?

The combat is about the best thing in the game so if it's not something you enjoy I'd just shelve it now. There are some nuances once you upgrade some spots in the ascension skill tree or swap to other weapons, but it's pretty basic.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The combat is about the best thing in the game so if it's not something you enjoy I'd just shelve it now. There are some nuances once you upgrade some spots in the ascension skill tree or swap to other weapons, but it's pretty basic.

Gross. After playing MHW and all the Bloodsouls games it just feels stupid holding down a button and auto-comboing.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you don't space it out to block/dodge, you are gonna get raped by a few monsters. Even if you out level them, which was the biggest complaint I had.

A level 99 should not have to hack away at something in the 30's in any final fantasy ever

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Re: FF4 versions

I do not know how to explain this... the orig snes or 16bit variant of FF4, it felt "big" it felt epic... the 3d version felt "small" - its hard to say...its literally a visual thing - the SNES version is "zoomed out" while the 3d is zoomed in more- even battles - when you see fucking giant ass golbez or the fire guy etc etc and your little tiny sprite...

Yeah I kind of got that impression after playing the first hour or so of it. I do intend on playing the remake eventually, just not for my first full time through (started FF4 many times but never finished)

I kind of get the same impression from FF3... I'm like halfway done with the remake, but I think I'm going to restart on the NES version (fan translated/patched) and finish the remake someday after I beat all the original 1-15.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Yeah, and I fully admit it is just a visual thing. I forgot where I stopped ff3... I think it was around the place where there was one big kingdom and two small city's outside it and it all was surrounded by a big wall... I think there I just forgot what I was suppose to do.

The 3D remakes do look good, and look better on steam/pc as they don't have giant pixie syndrome like the 3ds versions do. It's just everything from the map to combat is...smaller...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think it was around the place where there was one big kingdom and two small city's outside it and it all was surrounded by a big wall... I think there I just forgot what I was suppose to do

Hah I think that's right were I stopped. After you beat Goldor? Supposed to fly the airship over Saronia, where you get shot down and spend awhile on the ground exploring that kingdom.