The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Just beat this last night. Thank you for putting up with my blog so far.

A little warning, I didn't do many side quests and did a pretty minimal amount of hunts. What this does is shows you a pretty massive world (at least, it appears that way) but you never really do much in it. You drive your car from point A to point B, hit some objectives and that's it. The island you go to around 8 is pathetically small and you can tell it was meant to be so much more. Going there in the state it was in felt like an insult. Same thing happens during the train segments. There's a world there that you can't explore. Chapter 14 should've been a sprawling city but you're left with a tiny on rails section capped off with a forgettable king behemoth fight.

The combat sucks in this game. There are good ideas here but they get lost in the confusing system. If you have wait mode turned off, like I did for the first half, the combat straight sucks and is just a blur. With wait mode at least you can plan stuff. The warp striking and weapon switching was a cool idea - but those weapons draining life was completely lame. If they wanted you to limit usage they should've just had charges. The magic system was insulting as well - for a series with such a classic magic system they really fucked it up here. Crafting spells would be ok.. but we get 3 elementals and some bonuses by adding an item. Not to mention the worst part, it hurts your teammates. I used magic in the beginning because that shit would one shot bosses but later stopped.

The story makes no sense. There are clear parts while you're playing where stuff was cut and you just wonder what's even going on. Characters disappearing for DLC start points was.lame except for promptos which actually fit in with what was going on. They had a chance to make the summon battles interesting, and they tried with Leviathan, but they fell very flat. For both Leviathan and ifrit there were points where I was continually beating on the boss for 5+ minutes waiting for the death shit to start. Feels like there's a disconnect there. On a positive.note, noctis looking grizzled by the end was good story telling, I actually started to care what was going to happen to him. The rest of his party were just noise.

I beat the game at level 42 and I think the game goes to 120. Last boss was ultra lame. Theres a lot of game I didn't do and it never felt worthwhile for me to do. If it wasn't all generic questing with crap.rewards maybe. Certainly not interested in post game.

I'd rank this my lowest final fantasy game, mayb a 3-4/10. Never going to replay it.

If royal edition fixes my gripes that's even more disappointing. All I can think is '10 years, REALLY?!!'

Sounds absolutely awful. You saved me many wasted hours. Not $$$ because I picked it up having not learned my FF lesson. But thanks for writing these up!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
playing through Final Fantasy 5 for the third time, making a point to get all the early / rare steals as i go through... i'm in Exdeath's castle, and I took the time to get three Reflect Rings, two Flame Rings, and a Beast Killer... the chance to get a rare steal off of any given enemy is 1/64, and if you get the common one you can't get the rare one off of that enemy after... (tho, the Reflect Mages ONLY have an item in their rare slot, so they're easier...)

anyway, took all the time to do that, a couple hours, and end up dying to a Red Dragon / Blue Dragon encounter right before a fucking save point.

fuck me.

Fadaar

That guy
I've been slowly playing through FF9 on my iPad whenever I'm out of town. Forgot how great the game is.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I really wish they would get away from all technology in the FF world. Maybe an airship and a mech here and there. I miss the days of FF1-6.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really wish they would get away from all technology in the FF world. Maybe an airship and a mech here and there. I miss the days of FF1-6.
yeah, if Squeenix knows what's good for them, the next main series FF game will be a total callback to the high fantasy days, like FF9 was. they alienated a lot of their longtime fans with FF13 and FF15, they need to go back to a more traditional JRPG style if they don't want to sour the franchise forever.

a splash of steampunk is okay, but straight up having gas stations and fucking Cup Noodle... what the fuck?

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
yeah, if Squeenix knows what's good for them, the next main series FF game will be a total callback to the high fantasy days, like FF9 was. they alienated a lot of their longtime fans with FF13 and FF15, they need to go back to a more traditional JRPG style if they don't want to sour the franchise forever.

a splash of steampunk is okay, but straight up having gas stations and fucking Cup Noodle... what the fuck?
I would be in heaven if that ever happened. I miss the days a black mage casting fire and ice, white mage healing my party and a summoner summoning espers. Go back to your roots!!!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
and hopefully it'll have a Final Fantasy 3 / 5 / Tactics like Job system :)

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
ehhh I wasn't too impressed by Kefka in XIV, its' cool seeing him in full 3D .. but the sprite work is the best part of the earlier games.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've been slowly playing through FF9 on my iPad whenever I'm out of town. Forgot how great the game is.
I find it so boring sorry.

There a large sections of the game where you slowly read "comedy" dialogue in town with events which have even more filler dialogue. Most of the action is walking between towns. Then there's literally no choice in building your characters so battles are low reward.

By contrast FFX has very tight dialogue with no waste or filler since its the first time they used voice actors. The battles reward you with fully customisable characters.

Siliconemelons

I mean to be honest, that scene had a reason... it was...just... the anime cliche of laugh at the heavens that 90% of the western audience didn't get + animation that did not convey laughter well.

• 1Like