The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Siliconemelons

The DS remake is actually balls fucking hard though. I could probably beat the SNES version in my sleep.

Plus, seeing Palom and Porom actually twincast break on themselves was heartbreaking.

Yes it had "origonal" difficulty with "cheat baddies" reworked, so a "proper" mix of the "USA EZMODE" and "JPN HARRDDDMMOODDEE"

The cut scenes did benefit from the 3d, however I would have liked them to go...more toward the spirit of the og sprites rather than to the orig character art

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Too bad the guy has no say in the next game and his personal opinion holds about as much weight as yours or mine.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
After playing FF14, I think it's clear that Yoshi-P needs to take over the helm for SE. He's already proven that he can salvage a shitty situation and make a quality product true to FF in the process

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Too bad the guy has no say in the next game and his personal opinion holds about as much weight as yours or mine.

He's the guy that saved FF14 and turned it from a giant waste of money into a cash cow that's still kicking hard six years later. Pretty sure he has some say even if it's not directly his project.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Pretty sure he doesn't. We'll only see which one of us is right about 12 years from now though.

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Yes this is very good news. I'm glad he wants to go back to the roots. Maybe a world with FF3 or FF6 setting.

I mean... have you watched the intro to FF3/6 it's literally all about the mecha world and it's destruction of nature/natural magic/espers

But I think the spirit of what he is saying holds true. Old school FF needs to return in style, story, visuals AND gameplay.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
6 was heavy in tech but a lot of it was wrapped in some different styles. Outside of things like Edgar & the tunnelling castle, tech was constrained to the empire for the most part. Overall the setting felt more steampunkish to me than anything else with certain designs like how the ships (naval) had some weird mechanical aspects to them.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
He's the guy that saved FF14 and turned it from a giant waste of money into a cash cow that's still kicking hard six years later. Pretty sure he has some say even if it's not directly his project.

I think he does and he doesn't. He's got SE cred, but the Japanese are weird when it comes to that shit. They put 100% full faith and credit into their producers for their assigned projects. So while he's got SE cred, that most likely doesn't extend to FF titles that aren't his.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
Hell yeah go back to magicians and wooden air ships, none of this new age mecha final fantasy shit reeeeeee

Chris

Potato del Grande
Crazy mechs is a core part of FF, it's nothing do with with the fall on the series in any way and has been present somewhat in most of the games.

The only problem for me is FF14 and FF15 both rehashing the iconic FF6 magitech mechs rather than doing their own thing, FF13 having the cocoon mechs be boring metal coloured monsters and FF12 somehow managing to not have any despite trying to be fucking star wars.

Siliconemelons

I mean heck even FF1 had an airship and the technology stuff in the wind tower and "battlemech" etc. etc.

None of that is what anyone is "complaining about" - and I would say many people, like myself were happy to be rid of midgar in ff7 and get to the world and out of "technology" - ff6 is most likely the highest "mix" of mech/tech elements with traditional fantasy - imo.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
One of the major reasons why I never bothered to even try FF13 and its sequels was just how prevalent tech was in everything I saw of it. Same idea with 15 (though I did try it)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind an airship cause the early FF games had them. I'm talking about cars and futuristic type cities like in FFX, FF13, FF15 ect. Too much technology in those games if you ask me. They seemed to get away from the classical spell casting and summoning what I loved about the FF series.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
There is always Dragon Quest. DQ11 was easily the best jrpg in years. They should just give the next FF to the team that made it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I mean yeah there was a lot of technology in the old games, but i'm more talking about how silly it got with stupid shit like this:

Hell yeah, lets turn shiva into a lesbian scissoring motorbike!

1549580184215.png

• 2Like