The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
taken from the wiki:
squall confronts his personal anxieties fueled by ongoing developments,[22] such as Headmaster Cid appointing him as SeeD's new leader,[23] and his increasing attraction to Rinoa. Squall and his comrades learn that they, along with Seifer and Ellone, were all raised (except for Rinoa) in an orphanage run by Edea;[16] after eventual separation, they later developed amnesia due to their use of Guardian Forces.[24] Cid and Edea had established Garden and SeeD primarily to defeat corrupt sorceresses.[25] After these revelations, the forces of Balamb Garden defeat the Galbadian Army, led by Seifer, aboard Galbadia Garden. Edea is also defeated by SeeD; however, the party learns that Edea is merely an unwilling host for Ultimecia,[26] who planned to use Ellone to help achieve time compression.[27] Ultimecia transfers her powers to Rinoa; Edea survives, but Rinoa enters a coma. Squall travels to Esthar to find Ellone, as he believes that she can help save Rinoa.[28]

While Rinoa is being treated on Esthar's space station, Ultimecia uses her to free Adel from an orbital prison. Ultimecia then orders Seifer to activate the Lunatic Pandora facility, inciting a Lunar Cry that sends Adel's containment device to the planet.[29][30] Having selected Adel as her next host, Ultimecia abandons Rinoa in outer space. Squall rescues her, and they return to the planet on a derelict starship and share a romantic moment; Ellone is captured by Galbadia shortly thereafter. After landing, the party encounters Laguna, now President of Esthar;[31] he reveals Dr. Odine's plan to allow Ultimecia to cast time compression on their terms so that Ellone can send SeeD into Ultimecia's time period.[32] At Lunatic Pandora, Squall's team defeats Seifer, rescues Ellone, and kills Adel; Ultimecia possesses Rinoa and begins casting time compression.[33] Ellone sends Squall's team into Ultimecia's era, where she is defeated before time compression can be fully achieved.

An evil sorceress, amnesia, an Oliver Twist twist, 'time compression', and an outer space rescue. What an amazingly well written story.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
taken from the wiki:

An evil sorceress, amnesia, an Oliver Twist twist, 'time compression', and an outer space rescue. What an amazingly well written story.
Still better than chibi weeb 9

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
FF9 plot synopsis...

9189283.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
taken from the wiki:

It's a Final Fantasy game? What did you expect? That's why we love these crazy games.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Playing a ton of FFT on my phone (during flights), but feel like I'm missing out since I can't really look up secrets while flying. Any other mobile FF games I should check out?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Playing a ton of FFT on my phone (during flights), but feel like I'm missing out since I can't really look up secrets while flying. Any other mobile FF games I should check out?

My recommendation is always Final Fantasy 5 for anyone that hasn't played it

Final Fantasy Dimensions was surprisingly good too, for what it is. It's a new FF but old school style. The soundtrack is weak but the gameplay is great. It has a job system that's pretty similar to FF5 or FFT.

FFDimensions 2 should be avoided tho. Totally unrelated to the first one, it was originally a microtransaction style game that bombed so they reworked it as a $15 single player game with no microtransaction.

• 1Like

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
My only really vivid memory of FFIX is enter battle vs Beatrix, hearing that music and immediately realizing she was going to annihilate my party

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll be as clear as I can:

IIIIII > IIII > IIIIIIIIII > IIIIIIIIIIII > IIIIIIII > IIIIIII > IIIIIIIII > IIIIIIIIIIIII > IIIIIIIIIIIII-II > IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Never played IIIIIIIIIIIII-III, IIIII or III

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
What I think is interesting is as it gets older, people's preference for 7 is starting to go lower than what i remembered. I felt like for quite a few years/FF's it was always treated like the messiah of the final fantasy series.

On a diff note. I recently played through FF1 just because I never beat it on the NES, i got to the last place and kept getting DESTROYED by gas dragons and gave up when i was a kid. (though my mom managed to finish it) Wasn't so bad this time around. But it was also the kinda remastered or whatever version that has the bonus dungeons etc. So might have been tweaked.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What I think is interesting is as it gets older, people's preference for 7 is starting to go lower than what i remembered. I felt like for quite a few years/FF's it was always treated like the messiah of the final fantasy series.
Being able to replay remakes and remasters has a lot to do with modern opinion swaying. 7 hasn't gotten its redo yet but 8 won't get one ever since the clowns lost the source code and they didn't even have the HD backgrounds for 9.

Hell, there were people hoping the "full" version of Secret of Mana would be included in the rerelease but they only did a basic 3D update. Really wish they had made the CD version of that game.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

On a diff note. I recently played through FF1 just because I never beat it on the NES, i got to the last place and kept getting DESTROYED by gas dragons and gave up when i was a kid. (though my mom managed to finish it) Wasn't so bad this time around. But it was also the kinda remastered or whatever version that has the bonus dungeons etc. So might have been tweaked.

I think it's followed a pretty similar path to a lot of games that get wide acclaim

1. Game gets critical acclaim
2. The majority of people talk about how great it is
3. Latecomers play it and claim it's "overhyped" not understanding that a lot of the hype is generated from playing it early with a huge community buzz
4. Critics come and nitpick, using every little issue as a 'gotcha' for how the game is actually shit

I think the main games I've seen this with are FF7, OoT and more recently The Witcher 3.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

That remastered version of FF1 is WAY easier than the original.

Siliconemelons

If you didn't get ass raped by the mech in FF1 trying to get to Tiamat, you did not experience rage.

Then, if you do manage to not get a mech attack, or somehow survive it- just bane it bro (even the item-sword-whatever works for unlimited bane attempts) But I like to try and kill Tiamat normally, its more fun than "Poison gas, dies" victory dance

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
IV on PSP is probably the best remake/remaster out of all of them. I always liked 2 as well even though the stat system is broke as hell.

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
If you didn't get ass raped by the mech in FF1 trying to get to Tiamat, you did not experience rage.

Then, if you do manage to not get a mech attack, or somehow survive it- just bane it bro (even the item-sword-whatever works for unlimited bane attempts) But I like to try and kill Tiamat normally, its more fun than "Poison gas, dies" victory dance

Weirdly the mech didn't give me problems on the NES version. I remember reading about it in a nintendo power guide or something and ran into it and it was challenging but I won. I think between that and chaos's castle i didnt grind enough and just got wrecked.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone had any experience modding any FF titles? I've been looking into playing a difficulty mod with VI, and there's a few to choose from.