The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anime leanings aside, it's inexcusable to have voice acting that fucking terrible at this point. FFX was better. (Yes yes, link the laughing clip and get it out of the way)
LuLu and Auron have to pick up the English VA slack

but, i don't see that being an issue no more, all games seem to say "fuck it" to region exclusive voices and since games either come on hunker blurays or basically unlimited storage w/ always connected consoles, i don't remember jap games not including a Jap voice/English subtitle option since the PS3.

i remember having to order ffx-international from one of those anime importers, right stuff or get right, like 18 years ago.

Chris

Potato del Grande

This actually has me a bit hyped now. Looks really good.
Random SOLDIER side character, no.
Aerith is haunted, no.
Cloud has Sephrioth invisible friend, no.
Extra Bike/Parachute missions, not sure.

Extra Turk boss battles, hell yes!
Don Corneo, nailed it!

Summons in Midgar, erm OK?
Priesdent Shinra Hologram, OH GOD WHY.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The English VA's i'm pretty sure are the same guys from advent children and all associated spin offs.

They tried with the original VA's but ended up scrapping that whole idea, and went with all new VA's for the remake, probably too make them sound younger overall would be my guess, cause Advent Children is sometime after 7(like 10 years I think?).

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Aerith is haunted, no.

Don Corneo, nailed it!

All your no's should be hell yes. Give me more SOLDIER backstory with a new character. Build on the Aerith stuff (although I don't think she's "haunted"). Cloud being influenced/hallucinating interactions with Sephrioth? Yes...help explain Cloud's story more for the idiots who didn't get it in the original. Gotta hand feed them.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Aerith is haunted, no.

Don Corneo, nailed it!

Well they have to have all that. It's a full game in Midgar. The part that could be done in a few hours if you knew what you were doing and took around 6-8 the first time exploring every part for the first time is now a full length Final Fantasy game. So 40-80 hours? They have to pad the story and expand on it. Including back story and additional characters, probably both playable protagonists as well as new bosses. Probably also have more of an inpact when most of them die in the collapse since you've been around them more other than a few short sequences.

MaxmimillianDood explained that after talking with the devs. Their intention is basically to put everything you experienced in 7 into the game, only updated. Then add a whole lot of stuff on top of that.

I've been wondering about skills though. Summons in Midgar, I understand that. Summons were a huge part in 7. You can't have a full length game without them. However, with the "end" of the game, you leave Midgar to find the open world (if they do that). Does it start fresh? Or do you start at the level with the skills you got at the end of the first part? Just really curious how the flow of that will be. Will it be FF 7 part 2 or FF 7-2? If I am level 99 from grinding, do I start part 2 at level 99? Does it scale me back to 1 but with slightly more HP / magic damage than people who rushed the first part?

That said, the game looks fantastic. Can't wait.

Siliconemelons

So depressing being stuck in midgar for 40 hours.

I agree it "looks" amazing - I still don't like the battle "system" - but I am an admitting grumpy old man that wants his turn based games back!

Also they are the worst terrorists ever attacking their own home. I never got that.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So depressing being stuck in midgar for 40 hours.

I agree it "looks" amazing - I still don't like the battle "system" - but I am an admitting grumpy old man that wants his turn based games back!

Also they are the worst terrorists ever attacking their own home. I never got that.

Classical mode is for you .... heh very interesting seeing it in action with the recent video they released, basically auto-movement/basic attacks(it seems like), but you have that menu control..

I think the nice thing though, is now that the basic's are built for the overall game, basic combat/spells etc etc. The rest of the game will probably be released pretty fast, but like they said, they'll announce release dates when they are ready which is fine..

I think the Aerith being haunted has always been implied(same with Cloud really though)..

Siliconemelons

Yeah, the classic mode thing really is a change that I am glad to see and I will deff now be a buy from me vs a hard pass.

The haunting thing is dumb... but I guess it's everyone that can see them based on the new vid? It's most likely some dumb stuff based on the mad mojo in midgar from the energy stuff etc. Ahh whatever time will tell.

I am not overly excited to spend 40 hours in midgar - but I am excited to let cloud die in fights vs sepheroth as it should be :) hehe

Oh, yeah, golden saucer should be fun expanded

Merrith

I wasn't sold on the active combat until I saw the gameplay reveals at E3, but classic mode should pretty much appease any and all old school people. It's pretty incredible imo how they put the combat together as a whole. I can't find a real flaw with the options they're giving players on how they want it to go.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
after distant worlds wife is like sure, i'll play ffxv now.

10mins after the tutorial

holy shit, this loading is slow...

now my ps4 will have a faster bigger ssd than my computers, ha. (prime sunday)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
after distant worlds wife is like sure, i'll play ffxv now.

10mins after the tutorial

holy shit, this loading is slow...

now my ps4 will have a faster bigger ssd than my computers, ha. (prime sunday)

i'll be playing along with her. i just started playing it finally myself, now that all the DLC is out and was available at a sale price. i boycotted paying full price for any of it... whereas if it had been a complete game at release it likely would have been a day one purchase for me.

it's damn Final Fantasy, supposed to be a masterpiece of a gaming experience, breaking it down into little individually purchased chunks that weren't even all available at release just cheapens the whole thing so much.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

btw this is an awesome guide on the best way to consume all the FFXV related media out there (i.e. the prequel movie that you need to watch to understand the story, the anime, the prequel minigame, etc.) as well as being a mostly spoiler-free guide on how to catch all the story scenes in the game (including the random ones that require you to camp at a certain camp sites between certain story events and etc.)

in spoilers for length (autoembedded Reddit post)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

btw this is an awesome guide on the best way to consume all the FFXV related media out there (i.e. the prequel movie that you need to watch to understand the story, the anime, the prequel minigame, etc.) as well as being a mostly spoiler-free guide on how to catch all the story scenes in the game (including the random ones that require you to camp at a certain camp sites between certain story events and etc.)

in spoilers for length (autoembedded Reddit post)
wow jfc, installing a ssd for ffxv is like night and day, it's AT LEAST a 50% improvement, it felt like 2min loading times, w/ the ssd it was like 40s.

i was just gonna get a 500gb and be done w/ it but fucking ffxv takes up 80gb alone, heh, just get a 1tb i guess.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

wow jfc, installing a ssd for ffxv is like night and day, it's AT LEAST a 50% improvement, it felt like 2min loading times, w/ the ssd it was like 40s.

i was just gonna get a 500gb and be done w/ it but fucking ffxv takes up 80gb alone, heh, just get a 1tb i guess.
Another option is getting a hybrid ssd like the Firecuda. 2TB for $75 and the performance of the SSD cache is not too far behind past initial loads.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Another option is getting a hybrid ssd like the Firecuda. 2TB for $75 and the performance of the SSD cache is not too far behind past initial loads.
yea i was looking at that, but it tests were point to many reloads b4 you got SSD speeds, at 95$ for a adata su800 1tb, it's better to pony up the extra $25 and lose 1tb but gain forever speed. (in todays market, 2 years ago 1tb for 75$ bucks at SSHD speeds were amazing cost/performance)Heck the cheapest 1tb is 87$ an adata su635(there are actually cheaper but they have funky chinese names), doesn't seem to matter what ssd you get, heck ps4 isn't even sata3.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus fuck
my wife has been sad since she beat it this weekend, jesus, no one prepped me for that

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The Materia system is looking good.

48784831786-91928afb8a-h-1569339934843.jpg