The Fishing Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
How's Erie been? I went a month ago and for three days it was so choppy we gave up and went home.

I had some friends slay the Walleye on Huron last week.

I've been out twice and it's been fairly slow each time. One of those days the weatherman lied and we were hit with nasty waves. It's just not fun being out there in a little 40 hp Crestliner when the waves are over a foot.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I went up to alaska a week and a half a go and spent 3 days fishing. Went out on a boat for halibut and didn't catch any big ones but we limited out on little guys. After that we spent 2 days fishing for salmon in the Kenai river afterwards and although it was way too crowded I had never caught a salmon before and those things are a hell of a lot of fun to catch on a fly rod. My first time in AK but it won't be my last. It's kind of weird being up there in July when it doesn't get dark until after midnight. We fished until like 11:30 PM the last day and it certainly didn't feel that late.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Fairly shitty year up here for Sockeye and Coho also. Pinks the disgusting little bastards are huge this year and returned thick. Next time you make it up here give me PM and I will take you out.

I went up to alaska a week and a half a go and spent 3 days fishing. Went out on a boat for halibut and didn't catch any big ones but we limited out on little guys. After that we spent 2 days fishing for salmon in the Kenai river afterwards and although it was way too crowded I had never caught a salmon before and those things are a hell of a lot of fun to catch on a fly rod. My first time in AK but it won't be my last. It's kind of weird being up there in July when it doesn't get dark until after midnight. We fished until like 11:30 PM the last day and it certainly didn't feel that late.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What's everyone's thoughts on tent trailers? (popup trailers)

Had one for a while. It was "OK". If you live where it gets cold I would it would pretty much suck. Even in the south during hunting season it got really cold and would "flap" in the wind. Sold it when I built my first tear drop which was much warmer and quieter. I think if you look around you can get a pretty good deal on one tho. A lot of people buy them and get rid of them with almost no use on them.

Borzak

The Kenai is fun if the fish are running right. Stayed the summer in Soldatna once and fished it a lot, that and the Russian river. I got a kick out of watching the Asians fish. Apparently game and fish laws are a foreign concept to them. You would be fishing and a plain clothes game warden would get one at least once a day. Saw an Asian woman fishing with a spincaster reel and she had it turned upside down turning it backwards lol. Crazy stuff. Caught one halibut and I think it weighed 30 punds or something, but a guy my uncle knew took us out. Picked up crabs on a minus tide down around homer one day and dug clams another. Had a lot of fun. Watching other people was almost as fun as fishing there. See guys catch 3 or 6 fish whichever was the limit that day and then walk out to the truck and come back with a different color raincoat on an hour later.

We canned most of it and made squaw candy out of the rest. I took a case home in a suitcase and my uncle drove back with everything he had canned all summer.

I'll try to scan some pics.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Soldatna was where we fished the second day. I have to admit when we got there and I saw all the people I was like "I flew 2000 miles for this?" but after we were there for a while I really enjoyed it. We sort of made friends with the people around us including one old guy that lived in AK and it sounds like he fishes every day all summer long. He gave a lot of advice to my buddy's son and I listened in and tried to apply it myself.

Spanner - We heard that we didn't hit the runs very well but hell, bad fishing in Alaska still left me with a lot of fish to take home and it's not like I could have caught that much on a great day in Montana. We caught and released a couple pinks. I didn't know any better but the guys I was fishing with said that they were no good.

Here's what I brought home although I think I wound up with a bit more than my share.

1H1TCFe.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Yeah it's pretty crowded in places. Luckily a friend of my uncle worked for the AK Fish and Game and owned a pipe cub, so we flew out a few times and fished on the other side of the Cook inlet, nobody around.

spanner

I typically don't fish the Kenai Peninsula because of the crowds, though the fall brings some world class trout fishing on the Kenai river after the tourist leave and the trout is fat on Salmon eggs and flesh. My fresh water Salmon fishing is done in the Mat-Su valley near were I live.

splorge

fishing on lake michigan - lovely time, caught some decent fish. a 20 pound chinook was the largest, but we caught coho, lake trout and steelhead. my five year old had a blast landing 2 fish on his own. smoked a lake trout for 5 hours with brown sugar, turned out pretty nice.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spanner

I am going to try to get a few more Coho Salmon in the freezer before I stop fishing for the year tomorrow if I can keep the Pinks away.

spanner

fishing on lake michigan - lovely time, caught some decent fish. a 20 pound chinook was the largest, but we caught coho, lake trout and steelhead. my five year old had a blast landing 2 fish on his own. smoked a lake trout for 5 hours with brown sugar, turned out pretty nice.

[

Does the meat in those Great Lakes Pacific Salmon get as dark and oily as they do in their native range?

splorge

Does the meat in those Great Lakes Pacific Salmon get as dark and oily as they do in their native range?

The coho salmon are a deep orange color, but the chinook have a lighter orange similar to what you would find in supermarket. Both are much leaner meat than the farmed salmon, lacking those streaks of fat. Most would say the lake trout are the oilest of the bunch (i would agree), but they really arent that bad compared to other members of the salmon family.

spanner

I prefer Sockeye personally above all salmon, Coho are running right now, I need to go out and wade through the Pinks and put a few in freezer for winter.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Work is having a fishing day tomorrow. Harris Lake in NC.

We have a tropical storm / hurricane hitting in the morning.

Still going. Correct me if I'm wrong but fish don't bite in the rain.

Oh well probably won't see a response until I get back. We are wheels up at 0430 tomorrow. All the senior leadership has been "voluntold" to be there. I haven't fished since '98.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My experience is that they bite better in the rain. Especially right before the rain hits. Thing is, people get nervous about being on the water in the rain.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, you can definitely catch fish in the rain.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Used to fish all the time in the rain at land between the lakes Kentucky and Tennessee boarder