The Fishing Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Those pre-EFI series Mercury's will suck down gas like you wouldn't believe. Also in my experience when someone puts a non standard engine on a boat like the 135 or 175 it means they got the lowest power rating and then other things suffered money wise as well.

Borzak

Boats are a money pit no matter what IMO
Just pointing out that historically people that bought the downsize engine like a 135 when it was rated for 150 or a 175 when it was rated for 200 normally didn't put a lot into maintenance either. This comes from personal experience and from the owner of basscat boats in a conversation about such.

You never know tho. Lots of boats oddly enough are spur of the moment purchases, walked in and saw it or they had it at a boat show. Always blew my mind.

College room mate had a champion with a Black Max on it and we fished nearly every day. It sucked gas more than tuition. But they were a near bulletproof engine unlike the EFI that followed and the Optimax when it first came out.

Borzak

Is that evinrude a FICHT? I think it is. Look up on it. It's the engine that bankrupted Evinrude. Definetly look into it. If that is what it is, worst engine made in the last 50 years if not more. literally bankrupted Evinrude and the name only survives today because Bombardier bought the name several years later.

From wiki.

Evinrude outboards produce two-stroke direct-injected engines ranging from 25 hp (19 kW) to a 3.4L V6 300 hp. They used carburetors until the late 1990s, when EPA Clean air regulations mandated new technologies. OMC partnered with FICHT, of Germany to introduce Direct Injection. Unsurpassed durability testing took place, and production started prior to another round of EPA Regulations. Modifications were made at that point to bring the motors up to standards. these modifications were not carefully engineered and designed and caused powerhead failure and even a recall on the motors. The losses on these motors, the loss of reputation and the surge of competition from Japan and Mercury, pushed the company into Bankruptcy in 2000.

In 2001 Bombardier acquired the Evinrude and Johnson Outboards brands; the FICHT technology was reengineered into E-TEC direct injection. This improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, oil usage, noise levels, and maintenance needs. This is due in part by a pin point oiling system which only applies oil to the necessary components, unlike the original two stroke motors. Evinrude E-TEC was the first outboard engine technology to win the American Environmental Protection Agency 2004 Clean Air Excellence Award, which recognizes low emission levels.[1]
I never owned one but they had MASSIVE warranty issues so bad they coudn't cover them. I still see people ask about them every so often and most are suprised it's not in pieces. They grenaded powerheads left and right.

Not sure if that's one, it just says fuel injected and it's the right time frame. I believe it was evenrudes only injection model at that time, till the E-Tec came out.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I should also point out I don't even have a truck to pull my fishing dreams.
smile.png

My buddy is also looking to replace his old crestliner with a Merc 402. We've sank that boat a couple times over the years.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_135812.jpg

2.2KG sweetlips. Not a bad size for the waters we were fishing. The summer pelagics have not yet arrived; still too early in the season.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Fishing trip in less than two weeks. Most likely headed to eitherTemagamiorLady Evelyn-Smoothwater

We've had better Walleye fishign in Lady Evelyn, but Temagami has better access and we have a sexy campsite there.

In reality we just go where it's not going to rain that week.

Borzak

Is that why you bought the tent? Should have bought a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent. Very good reputation in the outdoor world for people who use a tent for weeks at a time and not backpacking with it. They're on sale for 1/2 off right now.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Is that why you bought the tent? Should have bought a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent. Very good reputation in the outdoor world for people who use a tent for weeks at a time and not backpacking with it. They're on sale for 1/2 off right now.
Naw, that big tent was for taking the kids to a park close by.

The up north trip is just with some fishing buddies. I bring my little tent for that one.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Offshore South China Sea. Mostly chicken grunts, but some emperors, queenfish, the odd mangrove jack, pompano and tuna. Perfect conditions for fishing.

rrr_img_135947.jpg
rrr_img_135948.jpg
rrr_img_135949.jpg
rrr_img_135950.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just got back from my northern Ontario trip. Had a nice little haul: lots of walleye, some perch, smallmouth, and a whitefish (which I've never caught before the trip). The weather was beautiful and it only rained for about half a day. Only crappy part is we blew a tire on the boat trailer on the way up and had to get a new set.

Caught most of them just anchoring and dropping a jighead with worm to the bottom. Maximum laziness.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Sounds awesome, man. Did you pan fry some for breakfast? Tell me you did. That's the best part of fishing weekends.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
We're always looking for ways to pack less gear, but one thing that is never taken off the gear list is the outdoor fryer. We usually toss em in some fish crisp and deep fry that shiz. If we want to get fancy we cook them over the fire wrapped in tinfoil with onions and lemon.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
whitefish is the stuff they sell as imitation crab meat, isn't it?

Dad and I used to go on week long fishing trips where we'd pack food for about half the week expecting to catch dinner most of the time. We were always surprised to learnw e were terrible fishermen and had to eat hamburgers from the bait shop. That's when we coined the phrase "If we were any good, it would be called catching" Good times.

But for real, fishing is fun even if you're not catching anything, but actually getting on fish is hard to beat. It has been too long since I've been fishing.