The Fishing Thread

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
IMG_0421.JPG
Trip last weekend out of Fourchon, LA in our hydrasport. 9 cobia 6 blackfin, not bad for a bunch of weekend warriors.

My Georgian friend on the left grew up fishing the Black Sea and absolutely loves fishing the GoM. He's a former pro basketball player and brings all these 6'10 Georgians with us throughout the year, pretty cool to see how much fishing is an appreciated worldwide bond among bros.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
LOL that bigeye snapper looks like a goldffish. Needs a banana for scale or something.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
LOL that bigeye snapper looks like a goldffish. Needs a banana for scale or something.

I think the largest ive ever seen is 30cm? they dont get very big. They are the vermillion snapper of the south pacific

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Fuck you and your commie measurements. 30 cm is almost 12 inches. So how big was that one? In the picture it looks like it's no more than half a hand long. (See, I can use stupid measurements too)

splorge

Fuck you and your commie measurements. 30 cm is almost 12 inches. So how big was that one? In the picture it looks like it's no more than half a hand long. (See, I can use stupid measurements too)

bout half a cubit.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I didn't go fishing once this year :(

First time in probably 15 or more years I didn't bother getting a fishing license.

Shame

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I haven't been fishing in a while, but I still get fishing licenses. Hunting / fishing licenses are one of the few taxes (hell maybe the only one) I gladly pay. They go directly towards conservation efforts.

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I didn't go fishing once this year :(

First time in probably 15 or more years I didn't bother getting a fishing license.

Shame
You have three months! Mine is actually good through next Feb for Mo; I will have to check the Illinois license but I think it is until the end of Dec. That's right fellas - I have in state AND an out of state fishing licenses. It was a good summer.

splorge

Amberjacks are here in numbers now. Barracuda also bit through the assist hook on my kevlar cord....

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8202.JPG

IMG_8204.JPG

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I spent a summer working at Shelter lodge in Alaska a few years ago, which is the first time I've enjoyed fishing other than spearfishing in years.

The halibut got boring quick, black cod is always boring, but the salmon and rockfish were a blast. Their chefs are also two young Filipino guys from some culinary school on big island, and they put out world class meals 2 times a day.

I'd still rather go crabbing than fishing any day of the week, but a few months on Shelter Island was a blast.

I won the smallest halibut contest, apparently. 0.3lbs inside of the slot that year.

541050_10151461514294566_514106702_n.jpg

425097_10151006978404566_115644115_n.jpg

534957_3211121528791_760133676_n.jpg

374478_10151241887089566_431566425_n.jpg

410993_10150882667264566_1797694917_o.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I have been fishing so much this spring. Steady loves it and we go all the time, camping and fishing. I out fished him last weekend for the first time. It was awesome. We are going again tomorrow. It is supposed to be near 100 degrees F this weekend so it is going to have to be golden hour, dark of the night or early ass morning fishing for me this time.

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
So this might sound a little silly, but here goes.

When my wife and I go camping sometimes we fish a stream or river just to use up time. We would release anything we caught. I say would because we've never caught anything. We are incompetent noobs.

We have a collapsible rod. It needs to be small for transport. I tie a snap swivel at the end of a line. Then I tie a hook to about 18" of line and connect that to the swivel. I put a small bobber up from the swivel about 12". I bait the hook with pink powerbait or real salmon eggs. Sometimes I use a flashy metal lure that came with our pole. We cast it out, let the current take it down stream a bit and then reel it back. Over and over.

We've been out about 3 times not counting the 4 or 5 times we've tried in the stream behind my house in ID. Haven't caught a thing. It's fun, but eventually I'd like to reel something in. A trout, hopefully.

Any pointers?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What you're doing could definitely work. If you're not having luck with the bait, maybe try a Mepps spinner or a very small spoon.

MEPPS-AGLIA.gif

Are there other people fishing where you are? If not it might just not be a good area. If there are, just ask them how the fishing is and if they seem friendly, ask them what they are doing. Most people don't mind helping out, especially if you tell them you're a beginner.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Up to northern Ontario in a couple weeks for camping and fishing. Targetting walleye, but we usually bring in some perch, bass, and whitefish as well.

DEEP
FRY
EVERYTHING

I'm going to bring a canoe up there too, just for kicks.

• 1Solidarity

lurker

Vyemm Raider
What you're doing could definitely work. If you're not having luck with the bait, maybe try a Mepps spinner or a very small spoon.

MEPPS-AGLIA.gif

Are there other people fishing where you are? If not it might just not be a good area. If there are, just ask them how the fishing is and if they seem friendly, ask them what they are doing. Most people don't mind helping out, especially if you tell them you're a beginner.

Would you put bait on those? Also, I've been smashing the barbs down with pliers just in case.