The Fishing Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I did some reading on the subject and I thought it would be better to use a soft net rather than my hands. I kept the little guy in the water and my wife was getting ready to retrieve the hook when it popped out of his mouth, so we never had to touch him at all. I know it won't always be that way but I can't imagine using my hands instead of a net to immobilize the fish.
It's a lot easier to use your hands than most people think.

Hook your thumb and pointer fingers into the fish's ears, and your pinky finger into the butthole up to the 2nd knuckle. They don't have any nerve endings in their ears, so you won't hurt them, but don't go in past a fingernail or so. You can damage their equilibrium and they'll immediately start swimming upside down when you release them.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
0B4B3794-6C1D-4C14-A1A7-E55DCCE3205A.jpeg

Yes this hurt like a MF’er. Worst part? I was fishing with my kids. They freaked out and I kept it cool. We were a 30 minute boat ride from our cabin. Then 30 miles to the closest ER.

A largemouth shook the hook.

• 1Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm up in the Michigan UP and went fishing yesterday in a little lake. Conditions were perfect! We collectively (4 of us fishing) pulled out 40 something small mouth bass, a bunch of various panfish, and three pike. We kept the largest small mouth bass and had a fricking delicious fish fry that evening. It was crazy. Within a minute of dropping a line it there was something on it. The kids loved it!

• 2Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
I'm up in the Michigan UP and went fishing yesterday in a little lake. Conditions were perfect! We collectively (4 of us fishing) pulled out 40 something small mouth bass, a bunch of various panfish, and three pike. We kept the largest small mouth bass and had a fricking delicious fish fry that evening. It was crazy. Within a minute of dropping a line it there was something on it. The kids loved it!

Smallmouth bass are the best fighting freshwater fish. Eating wise? They taste good too. Pike are fun too. Topwater pike can be a blast.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Smallmouth bass are the best fighting freshwater fish. Eating wise? They taste good too. Pike are fun too. Topwater pike can be a blast.

Pike are fun to pull in, but so many bloody bones, they're kinda crap eating. Unless they're monsters I typically don't keep them. The kids think anything bigger than a minnow is a trophy fish, though.

If any of you have kids, fishing with them is a fantastic way to spend time. Lots of conversations, or just sitting quietly, and pulling stuff in. Making dinner is a riot, too, when everyone has contributed to the catch. I love fishing with my kids, which is surprising to me. I thought I'd be easily frustrated with tangled lines and putting worms on hooks and the like. I'm not, I just really enjoy spending the time with them.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Went out for night jigging for tuna and amberjack, and this big ole bruiser crushed my knife jig. 25+ kg Giant Trevally, 20 minute fight. A quick photo and released him. Caught on ocea jigger quick jerk 5'10 and a stella 8k.

732e6d64-16fe-4a73-9109-d82bb0c70cc1.JPG

• 4Like

splorge

Mangrove Red snapper (lutjanus argentimaculatus)
e36ef4ca-bff0-46b8-9d2d-2ef00e8d4414.JPG

processing yellowfin tuna
IMG_9071.JPG

enjoying the fruits of the trip

IMG_9077.JPG

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Going fishing for the first time this weekend with a buddy that knows the area pretty well. He told me this

I was lucky enough to find a fly rod kit at Walmart for like $50 so that's what I've been learning on. You can get a decent standard spin caster combo for around the same amount. Just pick out some 9'6 or taller and 10-20lb max on the rod alone.

Any suggestions on what to get, please? Got a couple days so I could Amazon it, but probably gonna have to shop local to get it in time for this weekend.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Going fishing for the first time this weekend with a buddy that knows the area pretty well. He told me this

Any suggestions on what to get, please? Got a couple days so I could Amazon it, but probably gonna have to shop local to get it in time for this weekend.

I love Power Pro braided line. It casts easy and is super smooth. If you go spincaster go zebco. Those things are bullet proof and last a life time. My 9 year old has been using the same reel since he was 4. Just got him a longer rod as he got older.

• 2Like

Crone

I love Power Pro braided line. It casts easy and is super smooth. If you go spincaster go zebco. Those things are bullet proof and last a life time. My 9 year old has been using the same reel since he was 4. Just got him a longer rod as he got older.

Nice!! Gonna go out tomorrow or Friday to pick some stuff up. Will compare prices.

Crone

20180802_141818.jpg

9 foot, 8-17lb rod and reel combo for $80. Not sure the brand but got braided line on it for 0.11 cents a yard. Guy at Sportsmans Warehouse fished the area and recommended the spinners. A shiny black, pink, and orange he said were great for Steelhead which is what I'll be going for.

Going out this Saturday for the first time!

• 2Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
View attachment 172381

9 foot, 8-17lb rod and reel combo for $80. Not sure the brand but got braided line on it for 0.11 cents a yard. Guy at Sportsmans Warehouse fished the area and recommended the spinners. A shiny black, pink, and orange he said were great for Steelhead which is what I'll be going for.

Going out this Saturday for the first time!

Good luck! Have fun too! Don’t get discouraged with snags or casting into a shitty spot. Everyone has done that!

For me the best part of fishing is the quiet and being with family/friends. Catching fish is a blast but getting my friends or kids hooked into a good spot is more fun.

• 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I was up early at the gas station filling up the car, when an older guy pulled up to fill his boat. I asked him if he was heading out today.

He replied "Today? Every day!"

I noded.

Respek

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

splorge

Gunned it 70 miles offshore to prospect a spot we hadn't tried in a long while. To our surprise we boated 2 very decent pompano which is unusual for that water. Also caught amberjack, rainbow runner, queenfish (my first), tons of kawa kawa and barracuda.

7d8602a9-270f-4729-94ff-97b24f95901d.JPG

pompano.jpg

IMG_9409.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

splorge

final trip of 2018 - packs of GT roaming around smashing jigs, a giant school of mangrove red snappers, and yellowfin tuna. what a way to close out the season!

gt.jpg

mangrove snapper.jpg

yft.jpg

IMG_9532.JPG

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Crone

Good luck! Have fun too! Don’t get discouraged with snags or casting into a shitty spot. Everyone has done that!

For me the best part of fishing is the quiet and being with family/friends. Catching fish is a blast but getting my friends or kids hooked into a good spot is more fun.
Only was able to go out once, and wasn't a great spot, but was a damn good time getting out, exploring spots, and shooting the shit with friends. Life has taken over, and I haven't been able to go out again, but we'll see what happens. I do believe that it'll be an activity that I will continue to do. Goal is to go out at least 1 more time this season.

Animale

Trakanon Raider
Caught my first decent sized channel cat the other day. Pole is not what I caught it on, just there to size it (23-ish inches cat). Caught on cut bluegill that I did catch with my daughters little play rod. Was a PITA to get onto the dock since I didn't bring my net.
IMG_2754.jpg

• 4Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
So funny story about kids fishing poles and catching big fish....

My son was using his 4 foot Batman pole with 4lbs test on it. While reeling in a smallmouth he decided it was too much of a struggle and he gave it to me. As I reeled it in I though he was snagged. Nope. A 14 inch smallmouth was on the hook and a 15lbs pike had it in its mouth. Landed both on shore. That pole was never the same after that.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like