The Fishing Thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm not much of a trout fisherman, but I've been told the key is to make your lure look like whatever insect they are currently eating. The real pros will check the banks and figure out what's in season.

The one time I went trout fishing, I'm pretty sure we used corn on a hook. The guide told us this was considered cheating, but we just wanted to catch some fish.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
uh no don't put bait on them.. those things are designed to look like food while you are pulling them through the water.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
if you want it to not function correctly then yes put bait on it. however if you would like to actually catch fish do not put bait on it

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Lol. I smash the barbs down because I want to release the fish with minimal damage.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You could certainly put some powerbait on there and try for the double whammy, but they will catch fish without bait as well. If you want to catch and release you're better off to not use bait because with a lure they will realize that the lure isn't food and not swallow it so you just hook them in the lip. With bait on there they are likely to swallow it which makes it hard to release them without killing them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
So this might sound a little silly, but here goes.

When my wife and I go camping sometimes we fish a stream or river just to use up time. We would release anything we caught. I say would because we've never caught anything. We are incompetent noobs.

We have a collapsible rod. It needs to be small for transport. I tie a snap swivel at the end of a line. Then I tie a hook to about 18" of line and connect that to the swivel. I put a small bobber up from the swivel about 12". I bait the hook with pink powerbait or real salmon eggs. Sometimes I use a flashy metal lure that came with our pole. We cast it out, let the current take it down stream a bit and then reel it back. Over and over.

We've been out about 3 times not counting the 4 or 5 times we've tried in the stream behind my house in ID. Haven't caught a thing. It's fun, but eventually I'd like to reel something in. A trout, hopefully.

Any pointers?
Where at in ID? I spent a year working for Idaho Fish and Game doing electroshock surveys and there's literally not a single stream in that state that doesn't have rainbows in it.

If you want to catch a fish start off in some high mountain lakes. Besides the incredible scenery you're guaranteed a few fish. Start off using live worms under a bobber. Most of those lakes are crystal clear and you can find the fish with your eyes. They will ALWAYS bite a live worm. Sometimes the bite will be slow and they just won't strike much despite putting it right in their face. Have patience, eventually the bite will turn on.

Once you've caught a few the easy way then try some of those Mepps spinners. So much fun and you can cover more ground.

Once you've caught some fish out of some lakes then go back and try the streams. Look for eddies behind big boulders, deep holes after a riffle/run, and sharp bends in the stream to float a nightcrawler over. Have fun, Idaho has some amazing fishing!

FB_IMG_1529374221697.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I moved to the Northwest 4 years ago, and recently had a buddy said he'd show me the ropes with fishing. I've never been river fishing, and the extent of my lake fishing is using a bobber with some bait someone else gave me, throwing it out, and see what happens. I'm a city boy through and through, but trying to change that!

Iv'e got a buddy that said he'd take me out to the rivers up here in WA and show me the ropes, but I have no gear. I'm sure he's got some extra gear, but if I wanted to get started with some river/lake fishing, catching Steelhead? or rainbow trout I guess? or other fish that's around here. Salmon? What kind of gear would you recommend? Forgive my noobness, but is there a decent fishing starter kit?

• 2Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'd say if your buddy has extra stuff I'd use his at least the first time to get an idea what you want. He can give you an idea what size stuff you want for the kind of fishing you're going to do. People that make fishing gear would like you to believe that it's super complicated, but it's really not and as a beginner you're not going to be able to tell the difference between a $40 rod and a $400 one. Maybe you can't even after you've been doing it a while. Cabela's store-brand stuff is really solid and reasonably priced and those $900 Sage fly rods are more for showing off how much money you have than actually catching more fish.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I moved to the Northwest 4 years ago, and recently had a buddy said he'd show me the ropes with fishing. I've never been river fishing, and the extent of my lake fishing is using a bobber with some bait someone else gave me, throwing it out, and see what happens. I'm a city boy through and through, but trying to change that!

Iv'e got a buddy that said he'd take me out to the rivers up here in WA and show me the ropes, but I have no gear. I'm sure he's got some extra gear, but if I wanted to get started with some river/lake fishing, catching Steelhead? or rainbow trout I guess? or other fish that's around here. Salmon? What kind of gear would you recommend? Forgive my noobness, but is there a decent fishing starter kit?
Steelhead are just rainbows that made it out to the ocean and are returning to spawn, the term is anadromous. Same with salmon. There are very specific seasons and regs when it comes to steelhead and salmon so make sure you familiarize yourself with them beforehand.

Best starter kit IMO is a spinning rod with 6-8# test, a few different spinners and spoons, an assortment of split shots, some snap swivels, a few bobbers, and a few different sizes of snelled hooks. Get some live bait: worms, crickets, salmon eggs, and/or meal worms and go explore different waters. You'll eventually start catching fish and there's no substitute for just going out and doing it. Start at the bottom of the food chain and work your way up, don't expect to catch a 20# steelhead starting out. Or shell out a couple hundred bucks and pay for a guide service.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My buddy bought a Lund with a 115 hp engine last night. We've been fishing with his little Crestliner with a 40 hp til now.

I'm fully erect.

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The trip up north didn't land much fish. Apparently the flies have been feeding them right proper, so they're not too interested in what we have to offer.

Lake Erie gave it up, tho. From last night out of Port Burwell:
IMG_20180710_233354.jpg

IMG_20180710_174509.jpg

IMG_20180710_205421.jpg

• 3Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Our first fish.

IMG_1139 a.jpg

My wife caught this guy/gal (?) in the Big Wood River near Ketchum, ID. It measured about 10.5". We took the photo and released it back into the river

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Do you know that you should wet your hand and net before you touch the fish if you're going to release it? Otherwise you can wipe off their protective slime and makes them susceptible to disease. Some people even say don't use a net at all if you don't have to if you're going to release the fish.

• 3Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Do you know that you should wet your hand and net before you touch the fish if you're going to release it? Otherwise you can wipe off their protective slime and makes them susceptible to disease. Some people even say don't use a net at all if you don't have to if you're going to release the fish.
I did some reading on the subject and I thought it would be better to use a soft net rather than my hands. I kept the little guy in the water and my wife was getting ready to retrieve the hook when it popped out of his mouth, so we never had to touch him at all. I know it won't always be that way but I can't imagine using my hands instead of a net to immobilize the fish.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's not as hard as you might imagine. They tend to stop fighting once you get your hands on them as long as you don't squeeze them. It sounds like what you did worked fine though.