The Fishing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Animale

Trakanon Raider
So funny story about kids fishing poles and catching big fish....

My son was using his 4 foot Batman pole with 4lbs test on it. While reeling in a smallmouth he decided it was too much of a struggle and he gave it to me. As I reeled it in I though he was snagged. Nope. A 14 inch smallmouth was on the hook and a 15lbs pike had it in its mouth. Landed both on shore. That pole was never the same after that.

Hehe, I had a pretty big largemouth (5 lbs maybe) take a bluegill my daughter was landing about 2 feet from shore - broke the line in about 3 seconds. Had time to say "whoa!" and it was gone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
On the subject of catching things being eaten by other things.... When i was a kid I was cleaning a largemouth I had caught, probably around 2lb's, and found a live turtle in it's stomach, kept it as a pet for a year or so and let it go in a creek.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh also all those sushi pic's look delicious! Are you flash freezing it or anything (for some reason I seem to remember reading something about it being flash frozen to kill bacteria prior to consumption?) or just catching and enjoying?

Hosix

All labs matter!
On the subject of catching things being eaten by other things.... When i was a kid I was cleaning a largemouth I had caught, probably around 2lb's, and found a live turtle in it's stomach, kept it as a pet for a year or so and let it go in a creek.

While fishing a farm pond as a kid I had a fun one happen. I had caught 3 or 4 little largemouth and put them on a stringer to show my father. I was shore fishing. I noticed the fish on the stringer going crazy. I went to pull the stringer up and.... It looked massive to me...but a giant ass snapping turtle had bitten 2 of my catch completely in half and had the other in his mouth. I was like wtf!?!?!?

Eventually my old school uncle showed up and killed the turtle. Had turtle soup that evening. I don’t remember it tasting super good.

• 1Solidarity

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Oh also all those sushi pic's look delicious! Are you flash freezing it or anything (for some reason I seem to remember reading something about it being flash frozen to kill bacteria prior to consumption?) or just catching and enjoying?

If i intend to eat as sushi I catch fresh within a couple of days. Flash freezing requires commercial freezers that go to -70 or -80c. I bleed the fish for 10 minutes, then remove the guts and pack the fish in ice until i get home. I find if I freeze the fish even for 1 day with my home freezer, the texture degrades if used for sushi. I do intend to experiment with vacuum sealing to see if it makes any difference.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I partially paid my way thru college fishing bass tournaments. In East Texas it's a huge business and at the time I lived less than an hour or two from some of the best lakes in the country. I lived right on Sam Ruburn, a short time from Toledo, Fork, Murval (the previous TX record holder before Fork), Caddo etc...My roomate was more serious than i was and I eventually got burned out on it. 20 years later and he still fishes competitively. A few spring semesters I had class on Monday, Tuesday, and finished up at noon on Wed. so I had lots of time to pre-fish the tournaments. Over the 5 years I fished competively getting my BS and MS I cleared about $10k a year after exenses which wasn't bad considering the Sons of the Republic (of TX) paid my tuition and I lived rent free. My room mate taught me a lot about bass fishing and he loved it that I could use the company credit card to fill the boat and truck up each outing.

Now I mainly just fish saltwater here along the coast in Louisiana, much less competitive and more relaxing.

West towards Lake Charles? I leave New Orleans and head to Fourchon at the end of the Earth every other weekend.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Went down to Surfside, TX (just west of Galveston) last weekend and caught my first sharks. 5 or 6 blacktips off the jetty. They were all under 40" or so but holy hell they fight like demons.

20180915_145711.jpg

20180915_152218.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Animale

Trakanon Raider
Quick question - going saltwater fishing for the first time next week while on vacation. Just going to put some bait (clam/shrimp/cut bait) on the bottom into a saltwater inlet in Norfolk to see what we can get, nothing fancy. Wondering what pound test folks would recommend? Am going to get some cheap combos to use so not worried about the rod/reel, just wondering if 12 lb. test (which I have) is enough or do I need to go heavier? On the youtubes folks use 40-60 lb, but that seems like overkill to me.

Thanks for the input in advance!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I'm still a salt water noob myself, but I wouldn't go less than 20# with wire leaders, or at least salt water snelled hooks. Everything in the ocean seems to have sharp teeth!

splorge

Slow jigging for amberjacks. Largest was my PB at 14kg. caught with ocea jigger 2000, PE 2, 40# fluoro leader, seafloor control gawky 220 & shout strobe 250 mostly.

3.jpg

e9be8770-62ad-4831-a1d9-233f98a18344.JPG

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
West towards Lake Charles? I leave New Orleans and head to Fourchon at the end of the Earth every other weekend.

Never fished around Lake Charles. I have done some fishing around Fourchon and Grand Isle but not a lot. The state had to pass a law to put a max on how much Golden Meadow could take as a percentage of their budget from speed tickets lol.

I used to work with a Hardison whose uncle (Charlie Hardison) was the person who did offshore charters for years and years. Entire family, except him were in on it out of Fourchon.

splorge

some early november trout fishing on lake michigan, even landed a rat chinook. Charcoal grilled lake trout over cedar planks.

IMG_0133.JPG

late season trout.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

splorge

Son caught a nice bream, we baked it in foil with lemon and herbs.

red bream.jpg

IMG_0778.JPG

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I get so jealous of people who can fish this time of year not only in open water, but only wearing a light jacket.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've never seen a bream like that. I had to look it up. I guess you live in europe somewhere? For us, bream (pronounced brim, but I always see it written bream) is a common name for sunfish.

Do you pronounce it brim, or breem?

splorge

I've never seen a bream like that. I had to look it up. I guess you live in europe somewhere? For us, bream (pronounced brim, but I always see it written bream) is a common name for sunfish.

Do you pronounce it brim, or breem?

I live in Asia. We say it as [Breem]. Its a marine fish, we call members of the sparidae family breams. Even more confusing, in australia/NZ they have a well known fish "snapper" (pagrus auratus) which is actually a member of the bream family.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Big bass for the year are just now starting to run in TX. Friend went out to Fork over the weekend and him and his fishing partner both got double digit bass all ready to spawn.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Big bass for the year are just now starting to run in TX. Friend went out to Fork over the weekend and him and his fishing partner both got double digit bass all ready to spawn.
I'm gonna be out that way this weekend with a kayak. Any more details? Depth/structure/presentation?

• 1Like