The Fishing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When I first got my pro angler I ran into a guy fishing one day out of a kayak and he had a giant umbrella like made for the patio attached to the kayak behind hiim and he had lots of shade. Looked like a giant lightning rod to me. He was just drift fishing or something.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Damn fine day Salmon fishing. limited out, biggest fish were 8.5kg and 8.9kg.
king salmon.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

splorge

Bluefin Tuna - 213cm, 150-170KG. Fight took 40 minutes, catch and release.
IMG_3533.JPG

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I didn't know people caught and released bluefin tuna. I thought with fish who fought like that, releasing them was a death sentence. Also, aren't they too tasty?

Those are crazy markings, are those normal, or is that a reflection?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Crappie moving into the creeks here in north Texas. It's been a long time since I've had a good mess of crappie to clean and eat, definitely my favorite freshwater table fare.

IMG_20191110_163330680.jpg

IMG_20191110_144149629.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

splorge

I didn't know people caught and released bluefin tuna. I thought with fish who fought like that, releasing them was a death sentence. Also, aren't they too tasty?

Those are crazy markings, are those normal, or is that a reflection?

The quota has been filled for the year, so all fish above 73 inches need to be released. If you land it quickly and swim the fish for long enough it can recover and swim away. Those markings are from the leader rubbing against the fish. We swam it for 20 minutes and it powered away just fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So Makos are officially an endangered species now as opposed to vulnerable.

still legal to fish for them here in SoCal but would it be ethically right at this point?

always been a dream of mine to catch one of these, but seems really selfish. EVEN though my dads generation butchered the shit out of them leaving none for us lol

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
So first off, that doesn't sound right. I don't see how it can be legal to take an endangered species. You need to double check that before you do. Second, fuck saving sharks. That's as stupid as people wanting to save the red wolves. Fuck them, let them survive in captivity and keep people safe in the wild. Whatever effect their absence is having on the ecosystem has already happened and apparently it's doing just fine without them.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Been looking at that post trying to articulate how I feel about it and “gross” is the only thing that comes to mind.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So Makos are officially an endangered species now as opposed to vulnerable.

still legal to fish for them here in SoCal but would it be ethically right at this point?

always been a dream of mine to catch one of these, but seems really selfish. EVEN though my dads generation butchered the shit out of them leaving none for us lol
Go to the docks and probe around about how the old salts feel about it. There's a reason why keeping some fish is frowned upon. Keeping sails here is frowned upon here in Florida by fishermen. Not illegal but no one does it.

I did see a boat come in the inlet flying a sail flag upside. Thought that was pretty ballsy. Declaring they caught and kept it. Not the kinda name you wanna make for yourself

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
So first off, that doesn't sound right. I don't see how it can be legal to take an endangered species. You need to double check that before you do. Second, fuck saving sharks. That's as stupid as people wanting to save the red wolves. Fuck them, let them survive in captivity and keep people safe in the wild. Whatever effect their absence is having on the ecosystem has already happened and apparently it's doing just fine without them.
Are you really this stupid?

Catching an endangered species in the normal course of fishing is ok as long you let it go and were following the regs. Just don't keep it.

There are still plenty of sharks in the sea but ill effects have been observed in areas where they are overfished. These effects make their way down the food chain in what's called a trophic cascade. It can have a direct effect on the fish that are available for us to eat.

Same thing with wolves. In some areas where they have been eradicated ungulate populations have exploded and have led to many unintended consequences like Rocky Mountain Spotted fever becoming more prevalent. Chronic wasting disease is also a problem in overcrowded deer and elk populations. It finally made its way into Texas recently. It has the potential to decimate deer populations to the point that it would effect it's status as a game animal.

For the love of God please take your ignorance to a different thread.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Catching an endangered species in the normal course of fishing is ok as long you let it go and were following the regs. Just don't keep it.

He asked about fishing for them specifically. Not what if he accidentally catches one. I assumed he meant to keep and eat it and/or have it mounted, that's why I used the word 'take'. Why ask the question if you're just going to accidentally catch one then release it? What's to feel bad about?

How do you even catch and release a shark? Just cut the leader or is there a way to safely remove a hook. Do you even hook a shark in the mouth? The only shark fisherman I've ever talked to said they swallow the hook most of the time (I'm sure that varies by species though). A quick google search shows that there is some question about whether sharks can survive being released. So if that's what he's talking about, then fuck no. Either cut the line as soon as you realize it's a shark, or keep and eat the motherfucker.

Don't preach to me about the ecosystem. How about if humans just stop trying to play God and let the ecosystem take care of itself? You fucking people have no faith in Mother Earth. As humans, we need to stop wanton waste. I'm sure we agree on that much. But if a species like the mako or red wolf can't survive in the wild without heroic efforts on our part, then they need to die off.

• 2Picard

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
He asked about fishing for them specifically. Not what if he accidentally catches one. I assumed he meant to keep and eat it and/or have it mounted, that's why I used the word 'take'. Why ask the question if you're just going to accidentally catch one then release it? What's to feel bad about?

How do you even catch and release a shark? Just cut the leader or is there a way to safely remove a hook. Do you even hook a shark in the mouth? The only shark fisherman I've ever talked to said they swallow the hook most of the time (I'm sure that varies by species though). A quick google search shows that there is some question about whether sharks can survive being released. So if that's what he's talking about, then fuck no. Either cut the line as soon as you realize it's a shark, or keep and eat the motherfucker.

Don't preach to me about the ecosystem. How about if humans just stop trying to play God and let the ecosystem take care of itself? You fucking people have no faith in Mother Earth. As humans, we need to stop wanton waste. I'm sure we agree on that much. But if a species like the mako or red wolf can't survive in the wild without heroic efforts on our part, then they need to die off.
Oof. Red wolves and sharks are being decimated by human intervention, it's not nature running its course

People catch and release sharks all the time. I have some pics in this very thread of some black tips I caught last year. It's not that difficult. It's almost impossible to target one species of shark while excluding any others that are in the area. Don't know much about Makos but I do know when I go shark fishing down on Padre there's a chance I will catch a blacktip, bull, bonnethead, or hammerhead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Depends tbh. A bad day of bottom fishing would look like continuously pulling up little Sandy sharks (2-3ft). These guys would hook in the mouth due to size. You can eat them (bleh chewy) or throw them back.

Caught about a 6 ft shark a few years back. We had thought we had hooked into bottom... Nope. Buddy fought it for 40 minutes while I watched and continuously called him a giant pussy faggot and told him to cave and use the bitch belt.

He didn't cave. Got it up and the thing was so fucking tired we had it right next to the boat just floating.. crazy thing? No wire leader... Pulled him all the way up on mono leader with braid line lmao. My wiseass buddy then wants to grab it and try to boat it. I laugh at the idea because I know how that'll go and tell him go for it. He grabs it by the tail and it flips the fuck out cuts the leader and is gone.

Yeah usually they'll swallow I mean it depends on the size of the hook you know?

Also caught a huge ass nurse shark once. Cut the line once it got to the surface. Even if you could pull the hook you'd be dumb to try on a shark you can't one man bring onto the boat lol.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Oof. Red wolves and sharks are being decimated by human intervention, it's not nature running its course

People catch and release sharks all the time. I have some pics in this very thread of some black tips I caught last year. It's not that difficult. It's almost impossible to target one species of shark while excluding any others that are in the area. Don't know much about Makos but I do know when I go shark fishing down on Padre there's a chance I will catch a blacktip, bull, bonnethead, or hammerhead.
You fishing from a boat or shore? I've always wanted to do shore fishing for shark. I have the gear. Just need a huge ass tremble hook, a raw chicken and float that thing in cardbox box out past the breakers.