The Fishing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Just do a Google search for a fishing forum in your state. Google maps is good too, just look for public parks with a pond. Or go to your city's website and go to the park section. Or go to your state's Fish and Game website which will have lots of info on where to go and will probably have lots of "teach kids to fish" events.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My second youngest has expressed strong interest in fly fishing. We're going to try it next weekend.

• 2Solidarity

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
My second youngest has expressed strong interest in fly fishing. We're going to try it next weekend.
I spent 3 summers working in some of the best fly fishing streams in Idaho and Montana and I still just used spinners/roe/worms. Wish I had a do over on that one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I spent 3 summers working in some of the best fly fishing streams in Idaho and Montana and I still just used spinners/roe/worms. Wish I had a do over on that one.

I don't think fly fishing will replace spinners, but he wants to try it, and the two of us hanging out at the river for a couple hours trying something new sounds pretty good to me.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I don't think fly fishing will replace spinners, but he wants to try it, and the two of us hanging out at the river for a couple hours trying something new sounds pretty good to me.

Wouldn’t hurt to see if there’s an Orvis store near you and sign up for one of their Fly Fishing 101 classes they run on Saturdays. They’ll cover rod setup, flys and their uses, casting basics, and you get some pretty hefty coupons on purchasing an outfit at the end. Your experience will vary based on the staff, but Orvis really tries hard to keep a decent level of quality / service with their fly folks. Usually will have a certified instructor available or tied to the store.

If you go to purchase anything, their redesigned (all new tapers) Clearwater series that came out this year are fantastic rods for the money, and Orvis has a great warranty program. They just released a new Clearwater cast aluminum cassette reel that’s getting fantastic reviews, and should be all you need for freshwater. They should be offering a big discount on that setup, and they’re typically the best sale you Orvis offers on their gear.

Another inexpensive rod option is a Fenwick Aetos in a 905. It’s a Greys rod, relabeled, and the blanks are rolled in the same factory Hardy produces their stuff. Top notch rod for the money, and will perform as well as many rods running over 500.

If your son likes it, the most important thing to do is buy a quality rod that meets whatever budget you can spend, try not to cheap out on a Cabelas or Bass Pro kit. The cheaper rods will make learning to cast more difficult, and you run the risk of it sitting in a closet, never getting used. There really is a difference when you pick up quality stick. Don’t blow your budget on a fancy reel, or super high end drag, the reel just holds line. A more expensive fly line will paired with a good rod will make things much easier, too. Rio is alright, but they don’t label their lines. Scientific Anglers is what I use most of the time, and they have welded loops on each end, and are labeled. Orvis lines are all made by Scientific Anglers now, so the quality is there, they just have some of their own tapers vs what SA makes.

I’ve learned a lot through mistakes and just lots of reading and research over the past few years after picking up the hobby, and those are some of the biggest take aways I can offer for getting started. It’s a hell of a lot of fun and opened up a different level of enjoyment of fishing for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Wouldn’t hurt to see if there’s an Orvis store near you and sign up for one of their Fly Fishing 101 classes they run on Saturdays. They’ll cover rod setup, flys and their uses, casting basics, and you get some pretty hefty coupons on purchasing an outfit at the end. Your experience will vary based on the staff, but Orvis really tries hard to keep a decent level of quality / service with their fly folks. Usually will have a certified instructor available or tied to the store.

If you go to purchase anything, their redesigned (all new tapers) Clearwater series that came out this year are fantastic rods for the money, and Orvis has a great warranty program. They just released a new Clearwater cast aluminum cassette reel that’s getting fantastic reviews, and should be all you need for freshwater. They should be offering a big discount on that setup, and they’re typically the best sale you Orvis offers on their gear.

Another inexpensive rod option is a Fenwick Aetos in a 905. It’s a Greys rod, relabeled, and the blanks are rolled in the same factory Hardy produces their stuff. Top notch rod for the money, and will perform as well as many rods running over 500.

If your son likes it, the most important thing to do is buy a quality rod that meets whatever budget you can spend, try not to cheap out on a Cabelas or Bass Pro kit. The cheaper rods will make learning to cast more difficult, and you run the risk of it sitting in a closet, never getting used. There really is a difference when you pick up quality stick. Don’t blow your budget on a fancy reel, or super high end drag, the reel just holds line. A more expensive fly line will paired with a good rod will make things much easier, too. Rio is alright, but they don’t label their lines. Scientific Anglers is what I use most of the time, and they have welded loops on each end, and are labeled. Orvis lines are all made by Scientific Anglers now, so the quality is there, they just have some of their own tapers vs what SA makes.

I’ve learned a lot through mistakes and just lots of reading and research over the past few years after picking up the hobby, and those are some of the biggest take aways I can offer for getting started. It’s a hell of a lot of fun and opened up a different level of enjoyment of fishing for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks, man. I've done a lot of fly fishing myself, done it for years. I have a really good rod and reel setup, and I think he'll use mine Saturday. I have another that isn't great, but I'll use it for the day to see what he things of the good one.

• 1Solidarity

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've never tried fly fishing, might have to check out an Orvis class. They have 1-2 day classes at Beaver Creek, CO which looks to be an incredible awesome place.

• 1Like

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Catches from a recent trip to Okinawa

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

splorge

Landed a decent AJ on speed jig. very slow day so happy to get this fish.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

splorge

IMG_2506.JPG

narrow bar spanish mackerels about. a bit small now, but in a month these will be huge.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Second time taking the kayak out, first time fishing from it. Didn't catch anything but at least got some decent sunrise pics
IMG_20190824_071554.jpg
IMG_20190824_072827.jpg
IMG_20190824_072834.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah it was enjoyable. Forecast gave 80% chance of rain for the day so I went anyways and it stayed partly cloudy with slight breeze while I was out. Found out from another kayaker that he got dumped on about 30 mins after I left so I guess I knew when to call it quits hah