The Fishing Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Cheap and effective. I had one for a while for my girlfriend since it comes with a female adapter. She no longer fishes. I could never hold it that long. In the past I did a lot of tournament fishing that was all day type stuff. Now that they make bass boats with flipping decks, little deals made onto the transom to step on while taking a leak it's not much of an issue.

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Litt...apter/4754.uts

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, the 3rd one (smallest) was a pain in the ass because he struck right at the dock and wrapped up in a bunch of lilly pads, I thought I was going to have to cut my line.

Two out of the three bass I got were caught on my 8ft ultra light that I was using to try to stock up on some blugill or crappy. They both hit on wax worms. I'm not huge on bass but my buddy is so I kept them and cleaned them for him.

rrr_img_110235.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Any recommendations on camping stoves for car camping. I want powerful as f.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
My nephew just bought a Camp Chef Everest (I have no idea how much that cost) to replace an old Coleman he was given; I have no idea if that is good or not but he's a discerning camper/outdoorsman so it is probably good. I am just sharing info I have no first hand knowledge. Sorry.

In other news, I hadn't cried today until I got to this thread...and then I cried a lot. I have fished most of my life; starting with a cane pole, got my first rod and reel for a birthday when I was 5 or 6...mostly family farm ponds, streams and lakes; but G taught me to fly fish. We had themostfun together doing this. He bought me my first good rod and a case for our 5th anniversary - I loved it. He got me some new line and tippet last year and he tied me some flies (for bass and pan fish) that we never got to use. I would be helping him plan his annual trip with his friends now...actually, the guys are still going to the place G had picked for them in Harmonie Ind. (They were supposed to go last year but G's health didn't allow).
Fishing won't ever be the same.

Oh - and Joeboo - flathead cats are delicious when properly filleted....had some last Friday at my sis's. Yum.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Any recommendations on camping stoves for car camping. I want powerful as f.
Just the straight up coleman propane 3 burner is what I've had for car camping for years. Works like a charm. I have the one that has one burner larger than the others, it boils water like a beast. Also large enough for two good size fry pans on it, and has a wind shield. Not terribly expensive.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Couldn't find any threads on this, and figured this might be the best place to ask.

Anyone here do any kayak fishing? Thinking of picking up one for the spring and summer. Done a load of research online, by it's always nice to get some opinions from the forum. Just curious if any of you guys own one, and what your experiences are with the model you have.

Thanks for any info...
smile.png

Borzak

I have a hobie pro angler. I used it a lot on fresh water reservoirs for all day bass fishing. Some guys use them to go offshore to the first set of rigs but I never have. I liked the amount of storage for an all day of fishing. Enough stability to stand up in, could fish with both hands and pedal with my feet and such. If you want something for more fast moving water probably not it. Could carry an ice chest with enough drinks for all day, 50 pounds of fishing gear, had a 6 rod holder horizontally instead of vertically which doesn't work well when you are under trees and such, and still have room left over. Had a fish finder on it to for finding the outside grass line of hydrilla.

I use a big/tall flag and a light when I'm night fishing to keep from getting run over by a bass boat going 70mph.

Not something you would want to carry far. I always just drove the truck right up to the water.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
We had a discussion about kayak fishing not too long ago. I thought it was in this thread, but I don't see it now.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Borzak, that's one of the kayaks I've been considering, but holy shit the price tag. I can swing it, but it's boarding on "why don't I just get a boat" for that kind of money. Was curious how it does offshore, and am glad to here folks use to hit the rigs. It's definitely something I'd want the ability to do, but most of my fishing will be Somerville, Conroe, Travis, and rivers / creeks.

Do you have the 12' or 14'? Also, do you know if it's more stable for standing then something like a Nucanoe Frontier 12, or a Jackson Big Rig? Just a couple of the others I've been looking at.

We had a discussion about kayak fishing not too long ago. I thought it was in this thread, but I don't see it now.
Hoss, I wonder if it's in the "Shit I Just Bought" thread? Don't ever read that one so I wouldn't know, but I'll try to do some digging.

Thanks guys...

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Dr, if you get one, let us know what you think....do it here though, I don't read the shit I just bought thread a whole lot either.

Borzak

Borzak, that's one of the kayaks I've been considering, but holy shit the price tag. I can swing it, but it's boarding on "why don't I just get a boat" for that kind of money. Was curious how it does offshore, and am glad to here folks use to hit the rigs. It's definitely something I'd want the ability to do, but most of my fishing will be Somerville, Conroe, Travis, and rivers / creeks.

Do you have the 12' or 14'? Also, do you know if it's more stable for standing then something like a Nucanoe Frontier 12, or a Jackson Big Rig? Just a couple of the others I've been looking at.

Hoss, I wonder if it's in the "Shit I Just Bought" thread? Don't ever read that one so I wouldn't know, but I'll try to do some digging.

Thanks guys...
I have the 14'. I got the first one available to the public when they first came out. Long story on that. I got it from Austin Canoe and Kayak. I would avoid them if you can. Hobie wound up buying it back from me and I wound up keeping it. Basically ACK wound up selling me a kayak that Hobie had already asked them to destroy when they assembled it (ACK puts the handles and such on when they get them) and then wouldn't stand behind it.

I've never compared it to other kayaks. Not sure it would be good in a creek as such. I used it on Rayburn, Toledo Bend, and the multitude of lakes in East Texas.

Just be aware it's not light. You have to get the wheels to go anywhere with it, even if you park 20' away from the water.

For that part of the world I would probably look for a more traditional kayak. When I moved between San Antonio and New Braunfels I didn't bring it and probably would have gotten another one eventually.

That time of the year that most of the places (even ACK) will have days where they haul out a ton of kayaks to a lake and you can try them all out.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I have a new place to go fishing that G would have absolutely enjoyed. It has a private access to the Big River (a smallmouth bass trophy area too). A friend of mine invited me to her home on Sat. I had NO idea she lived on this beautiful property...she/her husband owns three lots and several acres and the "stockholders" share 250 common acres, the large lake and the boat house at the river. (It is only 9 lots, 6 stockholders - the friend's husband has three lots so three stock shares).
It will be weird not fishing with my G. I need to practice casting because it has been over a year, maybe even two since I have been able to fish. I need new line and tippet too I think. Sheesh, G always managed that for me (I mean, I can do it but it was something he did for me out of love; I miss that.)
I am looking forward to the serenity of wading that stream.