The Flash (2023)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
if Mel Gibson had another idea for a religious film(christian), i would give him a 70-100 million dollar budget and tell him to make it so." The Passion" has snowballed into one of the most revered christian films of all time. it will stay that way too.
Yeah, it was a huge winner.

"Mel's 'Passion of the Christ' made $612 million globally at the box office on it is $30 million budget, making it the highest grossing R-rated film in US cinemas."

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So why is it that no one is making money off of streaming?
There are a lot of reasons. One is that the streaming services are all competing for the same user base, so there's a race to the bottom on price. For instance. I have HBO Max, and Paramount +, and pay for neither because they were free with other things I was getting. These subscriptions aren't going to generate much revenue. When it was "You need one, maybe two streaming services and you can ditch cable/satellite" that was a compelling fiscal argument for consumers. Now, if you're going to get all the content you want you will probably need 4/5/6 streaming services, each with it's own monthly fee, and it's suddenly just as expensive (or more so) than Cable/Satellite.

The streaming services all thought it they just had a couple really "must have" bits of content (like Paramount+ having the Star Trek IP) people would pay for an independent streaming service for it. They seem to be really wrong on this one. This is why they all took their content off Hulu and Netflix and insisted on starting their own services. They're learning now that was a greedy and bad move. The closest to pulling this off was Disney just because of the sheer volume of kids-centric content (Plus Marvel, and Star Wars...) they own and even they're struggling mightily.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
There are a lot of reasons. One is that the streaming services are all competing for the same user base, so there's a race to the bottom on price. For instance. I have HBO Max, and Paramount +, and pay for neither because they were free with other things I was getting. These subscriptions aren't going to generate much revenue. When it was "You need one, maybe two streaming services and you can ditch cable/satellite" that was a compelling fiscal argument for consumers. Now, if you're going to get all the content you want you will probably need 4/5/6 streaming services, each with it's own monthly fee, and it's suddenly just as expensive (or more so) than Cable/Satellite.

The streaming services all thought it they just had a couple really "must have" bits of content (like Paramount+ having the Star Trek IP) people would pay for an independent streaming service for it. They seem to be really wrong on this one. This is why they all took their content off Hulu and Netflix and insisted on starting their own services. They're learning now that was a greedy and bad move. The closest to pulling this off was Disney just because of the sheer volume of kids-centric content (Plus Marvel, and Star Wars...) they own and even they're struggling mightily.
It was a rhetorical question...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The studios who run streaming services are not making money on streaming for the reasons haus lays out.

The studios who license their content to one or more of the streaming services are still getting paid for streaming, as are all the rental vod services.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
A lot of people think it was a campy little movie that flopped. To the Christian community it's part of the Easter season the same way ten commandments used to be. Been that way for the better part of 20 years.
I don't know anyone that watches Passion every year. I am from a Catholic family and they all saw it when Passion came out and they liked it, but they don't rewatch it like they do 10 Commandments.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gibson paid for the movie out of pocket because no one would fund it. It cost $45 million total, including marketing. Some would say this had a decent ROI.

And that's where his problems began. Not a single one of them got paid. The blacklist attempts after Passion went big caused most of what the media called a breakdown.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
And that's where his problems began. Not a single one of them got paid. The blacklist attempts after Passion went big caused most of what the media called a breakdown.
I mean Mel got paid. He made like 400 million.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Mel is all kinds of awesome. if the noses hate him, it means he did something right.

• 1Picard

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
A lot of people think it was a campy little movie that flopped. To the Christian community it's part of the Easter season the same way ten commandments used to be. Been that way for the better part of 20 years.
No one thought it flopped.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Don't care about superhero movies, will never watch this dreck, just wanted to say the degenerate who plays the Flash has one of the all-time most punchable faces.

1688940103061.png

Seriously, just look at the dumb fucking mug on that mook. Every time I've seen this image across the Internet I'm gripped by a nearly uncontrollable urge to slap the shit out of him, and anyone not compelled to do the same deserves a similar beating.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Knowing he calls himself Magic Wizard Goose or something doesn't help either.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users