The Flash (2023)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gunn greenlighiting only his friends and buddies and girlfriend's projects isn't building any goodwill for Butt Beatles or whatever he's putting together.
this take is... really silly.

the flash failing had NOTHING to do with james gunn. if it was a good movie, it wouldn't have mattered what gunn and safran have said.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
this take is... really silly.

the flash failing had NOTHING to do with james gunn. if it was a good movie, it wouldn't have mattered what gunn and safran have said.

Hence why I mentioned upcoming projects-- not anything about Flash.

The name of Beatles was maligned because I'm aware that's not really a Gunn baby either necessarily. But rather it's something few people have heard of-- outside of hearing that it's being shoehorned into the Gunnverse for whatever reason. "Stuff Gunn is putting together" implies stuff way beyond Flash or Beatles.

1687761612462.png

j00t

Hence why I mentioned upcoming projects-- not anything about Flash.

The name of Beatles was maligned because I'm aware that's not really a Gunn baby either necessarily. But rather it's something few people have heard of-- outside of hearing that it's being shoehorned into the Gunnverse for whatever reason. "Stuff Gunn is putting together" implies stuff way beyond Flash or Beatles.

View attachment 479894

it wasn't so much directly what you said, just the communal take that the reason why the flash is failing is because gunn said the DCEU is ending. there's this weird viewpoint that the reason why people see superhero movies is because they are all connected to a larger story. granted, that was a part of the recipe for the MCU but the whole reason why they were able to do that in the first place was the movies individually were good. you WANTED to see more of those characters. does anyone want to see more ezra's flash? even before this movie came out, who was asking for this? people are more excited about joker 2 and matt reeves batman 2 because those movies, while far from perfect, were enjoyable movies. the DCEU movies have generally been a huge whiff.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
it wasn't so much directly what you said, just the communal take that the reason why the flash is failing is because gunn said the DCEU is ending. there's this weird viewpoint that the reason why people see superhero movies is because they are all connected to a larger story. granted, that was a part of the recipe for the MCU but the whole reason why they were able to do that in the first place was the movies individually were good. you WANTED to see more of those characters. does anyone want to see more ezra's flash? even before this movie came out, who was asking for this? people are more excited about joker 2 and matt reeves batman 2 because those movies, while far from perfect, were enjoyable movies. the DCEU movies have generally been a huge whiff.

Was just about to say that. The fact you know the next Reeves Batman isn't setting up some fodder villains and atmosphere and cameos for a team up movie does have me way more hyped to see what they've got going on. Also far more interested in the Penguin TV show as a standalone series, knowing that the character is also not part of a "buildup" to some Power Rangers team up movie.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was just about to say that. The fact you know the next Reeves Batman isn't setting up some fodder villains and atmosphere and cameos for a team up movie does have me way more hyped to see what they've got going on. Also far more interested in the Penguin TV show as a standalone series, knowing that the character is also not part of a "buildup" to some Power Rangers team up movie.

Yanno, maybe there's something to this whole "DC is for standalones and Marvel is for serials" concept.

From my point of view if they want to compete, DC needs a connected universe. But from another point of view, a non-commected universe might make for better movies. Mainly because in a shared universe, all of the important stuff happens in the big ensemble team-up movies and the rest is setup. At least in a standalone-based system there's more likelihood that relevant things will happen and that the villains won't be throwaway.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yanno, maybe there's something to this whole "DC is for standalones and Marvel is for serials" concept.

From my point of view if they want to compete, DC needs a connected universe. But from another point of view, a non-commected universe might make for better movies. Mainly because in a shared universe, all of the important stuff happens in the big ensemble team-up movies and the rest is setup. At least in a standalone-based system there's more likelihood that relevant things will happen and that the villains won't be throwaway.
they just need to stop trying to play catchup with Marvel. Marvel is stumbling. this is DC's big chance to do something different and take over, but they are still doing the MCU thing. they got the asses in seats with Joker and The Batman. do more of that kind of film. forget Justice League teamups. or just take a fucking break and try something else non Superhero related. they have some beautiful graphic novels that are just waiting to be adapted.

example
iu

the score is already written. its even got a dragon in it.
a silly dragon in this version.

j00t

they just need to stop trying to play catchup with Marvel. Marvel is stumbling. this is DC's big chance to do something different and take over, but they are still doing the MCU thing. they got the asses in seats with Joker and The Batman. do more of that kind of film. forget Justice League teamups. or just take a fucking break and try something else non Superhero related. they have some beautiful graphic novels that are just waiting to be adapted.

example
iu

the score is already written. its even got a dragon in it.
a silly dragon in this version.
Thing is, instead of taking advantage of marvel's floundering, everyone is completely misreading the situation on WHY no one is showing up for the flash, as well as the last few marvel movies. People are arguing it's superhero fatigue but that take is mired in nonsense. When a horror movie does poorly, no one says it's because of horror movie fatigue. They say it's because the movie was bad. It doesn't matter what genre it is, a good movie is a good movie.

People are tired of paint by number plots, over use of bad cg, and political messaging. Stop doing those things IN ALL MOVIES and I guarantee you the box office will increase across the board.

And stop putting Ezra Miller in movies.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Thing is, instead of taking advantage of marvel's floundering, everyone is completely misreading the situation on WHY no one is showing up for the flash, as well as the last few marvel movies. People are arguing it's superhero fatigue but that take is mired in nonsense. When a horror movie does poorly, no one says it's because of horror movie fatigue. They say it's because the movie was bad. It doesn't matter what genre it is, a good movie is a good movie.

People are tired of paint by numbers, over use of bad cg, and political messaging. Stop doing those things IN ALL MOVIES and I guarantee you the box office will increase across the board.

both DC and Marvel have so much invested in these slate of bad movies that even if they decided to stop making them now. we would stil be seeing these BAD superhero movies for the next few years and because they cant rewrite the stories, they will just double down on gimmick castings and more bad CGI. the audience is fucked . we wont be seeing a good superhero movie for at least 3 years and when or if they do show up. nobody will bother with them. then they will bring out the fatigue card and likely the diversity card. blaming it all on bubba redneck MAGA racists and never taking responsibilities for their own poor products.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I think there's a good middle ground between what the MCU does (every phase leads to a huge universe threatening thing and massive team up) and completely disconnected movies. The movies can exist in the same universe, but not have to intersect except what a natural story arc makes sense for them to.

For a long time you'd have heroes in their own books and MAYBE once a year you'd get an issue with a crossover "guest star", usually something like "One of my villains has plans to blow something up here in your town, I came to warn you and we can stop them".

Then you had Marvel come up with Secret Wars (Although I'd pay good money to see a movie with Bruce Campbell as the Beyonder), and DC come up with the various Crisis stories and that's why we have what we have now.

j00t

both DC and Marvel have so much invested in these slate of bad movies that even if they decided to stop making them now. we would stil be seeing these BAD superhero movies for the next few years and because they cant rewrite the stories, they will just double down on gimmick castings and more bad CGI. the audience is fucked . we wont be seeing a good superhero movie for at least 3 years and when or if they do show up. nobody will bother with them. then they will bring out the fatigue card and likely the diversity card. blaming it all on bubba redneck MAGA racists and never taking responsibilities for their own poor products.
Yeah, unfortunately that's just the reality of clown world. Don't take responsibility for yourself unless you're white, in which case take responsibility for your actions as well as the actions of everyone else

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

People are tired of paint by number plots, over use of bad cg, and political messaging. Stop doing those things IN ALL MOVIES and I guarantee you the box office will increase across the board.

Every dc movie has been ass. Everyone lost their minds when Wonderwoman was mid instead of dog shit. The only surprise is it has taken this long for people to realize the next turd that looks like it’s going to be a turd is a turd.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Ok, i'm finally going to give my two cents.

What can I say? I actually ended up enjoying this film. Maybe it was because I had such low expectations going into it, but I was thoroughly entertained throughout the story.

Honestly, the only reason I even wanted to see this was because of the return of Keaton Batman.

Don't get me wrong, its not a masterpiece, but it was good.

Ok, yes I agree the CGI was poor, but I found the storyline good enough where I didn't care.

I surprisingly found Miller's Barry Alan had grown on me by the end of the film, and I wanted him to succeed.

The reveal of Dark Flash being a future version of Barry 2 that had been time traveling forever in an attempt to fix his timeline was good. Both Barry and Barry 2 learn from this and are able to correct the timeline to what it was (mostly) due to learning the lesson that there are some things you can't/shouldn't change and that is what makes Barry's arc. Its cliched, but it works.

Keaton's Batman still kicks ass. I like how in this timeline, where Superman never existed, Batman had no reason to upgrade his tech and lacks experience fighting metas, so he's severely outmatched here, but he does not give up, because he's still Batman.

Supergirl I found surprisingly likeable, and I never felt there was any kind of "against the patriarchy" message revolving around the character.

I enjoyed all the cameos, Super Cage fighting the giant spider was great. Despite knowing it was probably coming, I did tear up seeing Reeve again because he's always been the ideal Superman to me.

I completely marked out for the Clooney Bruce Wayne at the end, not even because I'm a fan of Batman and Robin by any means, but because it was kept secret well enough for me where it wasn't spoiled. I'll be honest, going forward in the Gunn DCU, I wouldn't mind a lighter version of Batman played by Clooney, but not full-on camp, to contrast with past depictions.

Finally, it's subtle, but the fact that the alternate timeline always ends with Zod winning shows just how important Superman's existence is. Both for his power and ability to inspire.

8/10 It's the best film in the Snyderverse by far, for my money. It definitely does not deserve the hate it gets. It had plenty going for it, so I can't say "too little," but this was definitely too late an effort to save the DCEU.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
in its 3rd weekend. Flash is down another 67%. one of the biggest flops in WB history. it still hasnt broken 300 million globally. 280m it probably wont reach 350 mil. its budget was 250 m production and 150m for marketing. its currently in 8th place.

hahah.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Has there ever been a string of this many massive budgeted flops like this before? Mermaid, Flash, Indy, probably missing a couple others. All massive budgets and not breaking even…seems like it should be disastrous for the industry, or at least start making people wake up and tighten their purse strings.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Has there ever been a string of this many massive budgeted flops like this before? Mermaid, Flash, Indy, probably missing a couple others. All massive budgets and not breaking even…seems like it should be disastrous for the industry, or at least start making people wake up and tighten their purse strings.
bombs this year. Shaz 2, Antman 3, Littler Nogmaid, Flash and now Indy5. Aquaman 2 and Marvels are flops to come. Mission Impossible should do well. . GotG3 made money. it didnt blow shit up. i think it ptobably profited a hundred million or maybe 200. Super Mario destroyed the BO with 1.3Bil on a 100 mil budget and took away all the excuses people were ready to use for this year being a massive loss for studios.
Disney is in panic mode so now they are re-releasing a bunch of old successful films for the rest of the summer to make up for some of it.
Starting next month with Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Disney will re-release eight of its most beloved films through the end of October at select movie theaters.

Toy Story, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, The Incredibles, Coco, The Lion King and Moana will round out the eight-film series, respectively.

• 2Worf