The Following

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did anyone watch this? It was kinda good, even if the framing of the plot was rather forced.

I think it's technically illegal not to watch something with Kevin Bacon in it.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was solid. I am worried about where the show can go past the first season but this first season should be good.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this was hilariously bad. i was gonna come defend kevin bacon, because he has made good movies in his career, but holy shit some of the things they have him do in this show are so cheesetastic they could only have been pulled off by kevin bacon.

my favorite is when they discover the puppy killer's house and they find all the dead dogs and bacon says with a straight face "caroll is training him to be a serial killer". lol really? serial killers start on puppies and then work their way up? whats next? lambs? why are all these mastermind killers always so omnipotent and confident in their minions doing what he wants and always seem to speak speak with an english accent?
ill give this a few more episodes to improve, but im not very hopeful. it feels like they wrapped everything up nicely in that one episode. just gotta round up the wannabes.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Well, I think it's a common trait for sociopaths to "cut their teeth" on animals.

I thought the pilot was decent. Although the serial-killer "following" is similar to The Mentalist's Red John. But, a reader on TWOP made the comment that sociopaths don't operate that way. They are inherently self-centered individuals and its highly unlikely they would be taking orders from and worshiping some other dude.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The whole point of the show is that these arent sociopaths. People have grown accustomed to the idea that serial killing is the result of sociopathy and that isn't the case for these individuals. Its serial killing as a cult which is a whole different ball of wax and thus makes it harder for the FBI types to adjust.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, I think it's a common trait for sociopaths to "cut their teeth" on animals.

I thought the pilot was decent. Although the serial-killer "following" is similar to The Mentalist's Red John. But, a reader on TWOP made the comment that sociopaths don't operate that way. They are inherently self-centered individuals and its highly unlikely they would be taking orders from and worshiping some other dude.
It's self-centered because the guy is trying to create his masterpiece, a living interactive work of art.

The premise is absurd but I'm not sure it's bad and should make for some decent TV.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I read this review yesterday
http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...orror-exercise

Kevin Williamson has forgotten more about horror than I'll ever learn. His scripts for both the big screen ("I Know What You Did Last Summer") and small ("Dawson's Creek") are overflowing with a love of popular culture and horror stories in particular. His movie debut, 1996's "Scream," breathed new life into a thoroughly played-out genre by making a slasher movie where all the characters were aware they were in a slasher movie, and of the rules that govern such a story.

His new FOX drama "The Following" (it debuts Monday night at 9) is informed by Williamson's devotion to another kind of horror story: tales of charismatic, omniscient serial killers, particularly as popularized by "Silence of the Lambs" and the other Hannibal Lecter films. But here, the tone is deadly serious throughout. It's a series riddled with clich?s, but without anyone to point them out along the way.

Kevin Bacon, following his wife Kyra Sedgwick's path to television, plays Ryan Hardy, an FBI agent forced into retirement after being wounded apprehending Joe Carroll (James Purefoy from "Rome"), a literature professor turned serial killer who murdered young women as a salute to the works of Edgar Allen Poe. In the series' opening moments, Carroll escapes from prison, leaving another trail of blood in his wake, and Hardy is awoken from an alcoholic slumber to help catch him -and, it turns out, the many followers he inspired and trained during his incarceration.

So it's basically Hannibal Lecter as cult leader, only if Lecter were somehow more pretentious and less charming (the downgrade from Anthony Hopkins to Purefoy), constantly dropping Poe references in an attempt to seem deeper and more meaningful than he actually is -or than "The Following" actually is.

Williamson and his writers attempt to examine the motivations behind Carroll and his acolytes, but they usually amount to some combination of name-dropping and psycho-babble, like this absolute hum-dinger of a monologue from the second episode, delivered by Annie Parisse as one of Hardy's new FBI pals:

"Carroll's using Poe's work as a religion. He's speaking to people through Gothic Romanticism. There's a pathology to today's Internet techno-bred minds. He's created a vacancy in our humanity. Find the ones with additional disorders, jackpot. Enter a handsome, charismatic man who can touch them, make them feel their lives for the first time. He conditions them. The only way to truly live is to kill."

Parisse plays it self-deprecating -she concludes the speech by saying, "Or some crap like that" -but it's clearly meant to be a brilliant insight into this man, and the state of a society that breeds others like him. But it's just gibberish, there to try to justify the quantity and quality of baroque acts of violence without really saying anything about why we're really fascinated by characters like Lecter, John Doe from "Se7en" or Dexter Morgan. "The Following" plays at examining both the pathology of these killers and the tropes of their stories -Carroll announces that he's writing a new book based on these events, and begins breaking Hardy and others down into character types -but mainly it seems to take delight in depicting the extremes to which Carroll and his followers will go.

I'm not saying that Williamson is obligated to turn every horror story he tells into a deconstruction of the genre, nor a PhD thesis about the pathology of serial killers and those who love them (with or without "today's Internet techno-bred minds"). But the hollowness of "The Following" means that the only thing there is to focus on is the actual storytelling, and it's lacking.

At the Television Critics Association press tour earlier this month, Williamson referred to "24" (which used to air in this timeslot) as "my favorite show of all time," and you can definitely see some of that show's DNA here -specifically in the way that other than Ryan Hardy himself, virtually any character at any time can be revealed to be a mole trained by Joe Carroll. And the problem is that when anyone can be a surprising villain, then no one actually is. Seemingly trustworthy figures pop out of the shadows so often brandishing a gun, knife or nastier death implement (Carroll's signature is putting out his young female victim's eyes with an icepick) that it becomes wearying -if not comical -after a few episodes.

The weary gravity of Bacon's performance holds things together to a point, and the one deviation from clich? that the series takes is in making Hardy a man whose problem is identifying too deeply with the victims -"The kill makes it personal, you unravel," he's told -when the usual gimmick is that the profiler learns to think too much like the killer. Bacon alone kept me watching at least an episode longer than I otherwise might have.

We're in the middle of a boom of serial killer-driven television. "Criminal Minds" shows no sign of going away anytime soon. "Dexter" is more popular than ever. NBC has an actual Hannibal Lecter series coming up later this year, and A&E is debuting "Bates Motel," a "Psycho" prequel series about the young Norman Bates, in March. There's an unending fascination for this kind of show -or related gore like AMC's wildly popular "The Walking Dead" -and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if "The Following" were a big, bloody hit for FOX.

But success and quality don't always neatly overlap, and "The Following" is a show that's disturbing without actually being scary, and that approaches deep, dark subjects without having anything real to say about them. Williamson may have put thought into what this show is about, but what comes across on screen is an empty exercise in fetishizing the charismatic evil of serial killers. Alan Sepinwall may be reached at[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE Comments Rate It Rate It TV Ratings: 'The Following'

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
"And the problem is that when anyone can be a surprising villain, then no one actually is."

I actually shut this crap off after
the 3rd 'surprising villain', and that's just the first episode.
By that point I was just laughing at how silly this show is. No thanks.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
second episode was fucking horrible. caroll is choking his ex wife in with the feds watching through CCTV and it wasnt until kevin bacon says. arrgh! we gotta get in there now! did they move off their asses. ill give this one more then im done.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I like Kevin Bacon enough to keep watching for awhile, but yeah, the whole "anyone can be a villain" thing is going to get old fast. They are already hinting that the FBI lady that specializes in cults might even be one...or are they just playing out suspicious scenes to keep us guessing on every single character? Fuck, at this point the wife could even be in on it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think what pisses me off most is this is almost exactly like season 1 of 24 and this show has no purpose and its in 24's timeslot. everyone who is in danger in this show stays in the house and of course somebody sneaks in for the kill. fat security guard dude fucking ninja stealths into this house to kill caroll's wife then bacon asks her afterward. would you be ok if we moved you somewhere safe? and she says something like "to where?" and i yelled at the tv, how about somewhere they dont have the fucking blueprints to?

and yeah the shifty eyes shit at the end between the fed and carrol was so facepalmy. i was like uh is she one of "them" and is there a cellphone smuggled in that book?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is one of the worst written shows I've seen in many, many years. It's too bad, because I like Kevin Bacon and the rest of the cast is solid.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
When I saw the first previews for this coming on over here, all I could think is, "Holy fuck, how broke are all these movie stars that they are all turning to TV series?"

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
When I saw the first previews for this coming on over here, all I could think is, "Holy fuck, how broke are all these movie stars that they are all turning to TV series?"
Kevin Bacon lost pretty much all his savings in the Bernie Madoff scheme.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'll watch it until Bacon gets to say "The facts of the case are these" blah blah "These are the facts, and they are, indisputable."

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so basically this show introduces new characters each week and they either are "one of them" or "one of them's" next victim. i like the reveal this week, the 2 guys posing as faggots are keeping a secret , dun dun DUN that they really are faggots. mind blown.

i dunno, should i keep watching this schlock? there is a cute girl at work who watches this and thinks its the greatest thing ever and when i talk to her i pretend i love it too. or do i go all astrocreep and tell her shes a fucking moron for continuing to follow this shit?