The future, what will it hold for us?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
On immortality and aging....

If they figure out genes and how to manipulate them, yeah I can see prolonged life. Are they not finding genes that basically control aging? Its like an on/off switch? Sooner they will figure that shit out. How bout replacing our bad shit with mechanical, or even printed organs/tissues? I dont think we can ever become immortal, but shit, ill take an extra 50/100 yrs.
Actually, barring accidents, I can foresee us extending life indefinitely. Hell, "backing up" the contents of our brains and downloading into a new body is a frequent subject in science fiction. Of course this brings up the whole debate about the "soul" and what not, but it doesn't remove the possibility of achieving it.

What I'm mostly interested in, in the short term, is exactly HOW it will be determined that a person can get life-extension drugs or technology. Will it be based on economics? The rich get to live forever and the poor continue to die? Wow, that's going to cause a shit storm.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I think the cure for cancer and the long life research will go hand in hand. Cancer cells are immortal in that they can divide an unlimited number of times. Thats one reason they can spread so quickly. And they are your own cells; your body doesn't recognize them as different from you.

Curing cancer in the long run will take control of the immune system to recognize tumors before they get out of control; once this happens then "immortal" human cells aren't really a problem; in fact they might be a benefit. Granted current tumor cells aren't useful.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm just saying, a bunch of cubicle dwelling people who played EQ for a thousands of hours over a decade telling me they know more about human nature is absurd.
No cubicle here...just a bunch of network equipment scattered around and boxes full of projects that i need to do.

You see human beings have the ability to be multi faceted, and more experienced with time. Some can go to school, play some video games, get a STEM job, get married, have kids, enjoy life, and get away from their leech parents. It happens all the time. Human beings are not specialized. Human beings have abilities far beyond you can even comprehend. Most of us have the fortitude to make tough decisions and prosper in any environment.

I do not think you know much about human nature. I think most of us have a really good idea who and what humanity is and what it can achieve, because we live it.

Deal with your life for fucks sake.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I dunno, I don't think we will ever get all that close to 'extending life indefinitely'. The molecular complexities of the Rubegoldbergian way that we function are just too numerous and too fragile. It seems to fly in the face of both natural selection and thermodynamics. I'm not so sure that it can't ever be done, just that I'll take the Vegas odds against it. Extend life? Sure. Indefinitely? Not so much. Imo.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Baron Karza laughs at your Vegas odds.

d57b4747-db56-40b1-b8db-de9872ab5ad6_zps30ad4212.jpg

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Mist,

Serious question. Why don't you look into EMDR and brain spotting? It does really good with trauma.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm holding up pretty fucking well considering the bullshit I've had to deal with in the past 5 years. Fixing up a house that's been hit by 4 major natural disasters (after my stepdad took off with the FEMA and SBA loan money) while taking care of my mom and going to graduate school and being everyone's fucking slave at the university. And I've still got more money in the bank than I've got debts in my own name. If not having a life and friends is the sacrifice I need to make to get that all to work, welp.

Besides, who needs friends when I've got all you wonderful people for support.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I dunno, I don't think we will ever get all that close to 'extending life indefinitely'. The molecular complexities of the Rubegoldbergian way that we function are just too numerous and too fragile. It seems to fly in the face of both natural selection and thermodynamics. I'm not so sure that it can't ever be done, just that I'll take the Vegas odds against it. Extend life? Sure. Indefinitely? Not so much. Imo.
Perhaps not the same physical body but the possibility exists for your consciousness to be "downloaded" into a new vessel.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but what is consciousness? They dont even know what it is yet or what makes it possible. This is millennia into the future if even at all possible.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but what is consciousness? They dont even know what it is yet or what makes it possible. This is millennia into the future if even at all possible.
I doubt it's that far. Once we start pouring lots of our best minds and our best mechanical minds into the frontiers of neuroscience, I think our knowledge of the subject will explode. Neuroscience and psych are exciting because they're still really young sciences.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I said psychology vs IT, not psychology vs science, because psychology IS a science (at least at the postgrad level, I'll admit undergrad psych is fucking LOL, I mean god, they letmeteach those classes.)

IT and programming are pretty horrible occupations for most of the people working in them. The good jobs are good, and the bad ones are soul crushingly bad.

Study Predicts 9% Drop In Salaries of New CS Grads This Year - Slashdot

Psych is a pretty terrible 4 year degree, but once you get through grad school, your earning potential goes way up. Demand for mental health professionals is at an all-time high and I don't see that changing soon.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think the cure for cancer and the long life research will go hand in hand. Cancer cells are immortal in that they can divide an unlimited number of times. Thats one reason they can spread so quickly. And they are your own cells; your body doesn't recognize them as different from you.

Curing cancer in the long run will take control of the immune system to recognize tumors before they get out of control; once this happens then "immortal" human cells aren't really a problem; in fact they might be a benefit. Granted current tumor cells aren't useful.
Kinda. They're not though because they kill their host. Cancer cells are more parasitic than they are immortal.

Life extension I don't see any troubles with. But clinical immortality? That really is more the realm of science fiction imho. Complexity comes at the price of mortality. The immortal shit is simple. Mostly less than cellular, some single celled, and (iirc) a few very special multicellular systems (jellyfish?). The regulation of growth, or lack of it, is a definitional aspect of cancer. The end product of either seems to be loss of function.

Maybe some diligent researchers will find a way to replace the basal layers in all human tissues and you will eventually be able to go into the doctors office for an oil change every 30,000 miles. But currently we have no idea how to even begin to think about doing that, and I don't think that something like that will EVER be reliable.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Kinda. They're not though because they kill their host. Cancer cells are more parasitic than they are immortal.

Life extension I don't see any troubles with. But clinical immortality? That really is more the realm of science fiction imho. Complexity comes at the price of mortality. The immortal shit is simple. Mostly less than cellular, some single celled, and (iirc) a few very special multicellular systems (jellyfish?). The regulation of growth, or lack of it, is a definitional aspect of cancer. The end product of either seems to be loss of function.

Maybe some diligent researchers will find a way to replace the basal layers in all human tissues and you will eventually be able to go into the doctors office for an oil change every 30,000 miles. But currently we have no idea how to even begin to think about doing that, and I don't think that something like that will EVER be reliable.
Think he was referring to the fact that cancerous cells seem to be immortal when cultured. See HeLa cells

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've been reading a lot of scifi lately, for game ideas and such. Lots of far future stuff that probably has no bearing on reality. The books have some interesting pathways leading to the state of technology that exists in the stories:

Invent AI, AI invents lots of great stuff fairly quickly.
Extend life, explore the galaxy over massive timescales and pick up lots of amazing tech. (No ftl in this story)
Improve humanity via engineering/nanotech, humanity makes cool stuff, explores galaxy, finds more cool stuff

My fave is the extend life option. It comes with its own set of problems, but I'd love to be around to see Andromeda merge.