The Grand Tour (from the guys in Top Gear)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
While I really want this to go to Netflix, I hope they don't wait for them to finish an entire season and dump it all at once. This is one of those shows where I think it would be better to keep to a weekly release schedule.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
While I really want this to go to Netflix, I hope they don't wait for them to finish an entire season and dump it all at once. This is one of those shows where I think it would be better to keep to a weekly release schedule.
I really don't like the dump they do either. Part of the fun of watching a show is talking about it every week with other people or online. When they just dump it at once you lose a lot of that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i have a question, would the top gear track be off limits to jeremy's new show? i mean its really just a runway and its not like the BBC owns it or something, do they? i have seen other shows use that same runway section for their test laps.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
IIRC, it's McLaren's track. Wouldnt be surprised if Top Gear has a contract to lease it or something.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The track is apparently owned by Dunsfold Park Ltd. Actual location isDunsfold Aerodrome. The track portion was designed by Lotus, not McLaren. And it's apparently not that hard to get access to drive on.

Basically it sounds like they should be able to use it if they want to. Barring some kind of copyright issues or whatever with the actual layout.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The best thing about the track was its use over the years gave them a long list of cars lap times, see how they rated. Loosing that database will suck. It was also good to have a whole airfield for filming other segments on too, as they could shoot 'glamor' shots of cars driving in formation, they could drag race, do crazy things on wide tarmac / concrete.

Oh and Celeb lap times too, but those were often affected by weather + the fact that they changed cars once (or was it twice?)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The best thing about the track was its use over the years gave them a long list of cars lap times, see how they rated. Loosing that database will suck. It was also good to have a whole airfield for filming other segments on too, as they could shoot 'glamor' shots of cars driving in formation, they could drag race, do crazy things on wide tarmac / concrete.

Oh and Celeb lap times too, but those were often affected by weather + the fact that they changed cars once (or was it twice?)
nothing was lost, wikipedia has extensive data on all the car's best lap times.
List of Top Gear test track Power Lap Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and of course BBC top gear might keep those old numbers unless along with their mandatory female rule they must have a female stig doing some of those laps to make things equal. then they will wipe it clean.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think he means you can't compare a car that was done on the Top Gear track to anything new if they use a different one.

Basically you're starting from scratch for comparisons.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
oh, i thought he meant they didnt have the data anymore. i still think they will be able to use the old track. top gear uses it maybe a month out of the year? so its standing empty for 11 months. im sure something can be worked out.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Yeah, I meant if they lose the use of the track and the ability to compare a new car to what others had done.

I kinda missed putting down some of my own thought process, in my post. I was at the end of a long day, my brain wasn't firing right.

Oh and to add: The new episode is on this weekend . . . Monday morning where I am. Check local guides.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And now I have watched it. The first film was OK, with the classic cars. The second film, with the SUV's, was fucking amazing. Tons of big laughs start to finish. And now I'm sad.

It took me a second at the start to realize why the big statue was there. "Why do they have a huge elephant in the ro.....OH! Nice!"

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
What Grimm said. Was the SUV film the one that lead to Clarkson being fired? He really seemed quite pissed at the end, but if so, they did manage to finish the segment at least.

Also kinda want to watch the BBC 'Merica version when it comes out, just to see what they do about the wheels. Usually they edit that kinda thing out, but they were on screen quite a lot. If they are even going to show it that is, according to my DirecTV guide, its just reruns tomorrow. /shrug

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The SUV shit was hilarious. Jeremy at the end with half a car vibrating fucking killed me. I also thought his "I hate working on Top Gear" was pretty funny.

And I actually thought the first bit was decent.

Overall though, every time they cut to the studio was sad. Worse was the good bye at the end. Oh well, at least it's not good bye forever.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Overall though, every time they cut to the studio was sad. Worse was the good bye at the end. Oh well, at least it's not good bye forever.
Hamster and Slow definitely kept it totally straightforward and toned down on purpose. Zero effort to present in an entertaining fashion whatsoever. I get the impression they were not trying ot give the BBC any more than they absolutely had to.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the ending was a bit of a downer, but damn the rest of the show was classic awesome. i was thinking that the pub at the hotel where they had top gear trivia would be the pub that jeremy showed the BBC producer his pimp hand. i would imagine that they finished filming their segments and then later when the incident blew up, word came down that clarkson was suspended/fired. i dont think it happened right away.

when the new show is announced i will be making a new thread if somebody hasnt already done it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Any hints on where to find it, would really only be interested in the goodbye end.