The Grand Tour (from the guys in Top Gear)

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I'm going to wait on the Christmas specials myself.

I must say though, I had some misgivings about this season before it started, but it really has been quite terrific.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
so in order not to bitch i decided to wait a week to watch both episodes back to back like it was a true christmas special. what a great special. i loved every moment. hammond's car did not catch fire even though i was sure that it would like everyone else. grats to James May on discovering the source of the nile. the best part was the river crossing.and holy shit when is africa ever going to discover the 15th century? let alone the 21st?
actually no, the best part was that colossal douchebag hammond didnt win.
the holiday specials go in this ordernow.
South America>North Pole>Vietnam>Africa>Botswana>Middle East>US>India
I still think the Vietnam episode is the absolute greatest, but it totally sucks ass on Netflix due to them not having the rights for all the music, if you've only seen it on Netflix do yourself a favor and watch it again on DVD or find a torrent.

I'm going to wait on the Christmas specials myself.

I must say though, I had some misgivings about this season before it started, but it really has been quite terrific.
I still enjoy watching the show, but it feels like they are doing less and less as the series get's older. Seems like Season's 5-14 were the best.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still enjoy watching the show, but it feels like they are doing less and less as the series get's older. Seems like Season's 5-14 were the best.
They used to do two season a year almost every year, with seasons being anywhere from 6-10 episodes. 2012 and 2010 we only got one season though. And they haven't done a season longer than 8 episodes since '07.

That said...GOOD NEWS! Clarkson has confirmed we're getting a summer series this year. They've already filmed a race between a Corolla and a racing yacht for this upcoming series. I imagine it will start in June. So, fuck yes. I also imagine it will NOT feature a big travel special episode. We got them in back to back seasons just now and that is not something they'd usually do. I'm guessing it's because of the longer break, they don't do two of them in a year when they do two seasons.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
when they had the economic downturn the BBC severely cut their budgets. which is why top gear had limited episodes. i guess it was limit their episodes or have the same number of them but with no budget for fun stuff. with the announcement of their summer series lets hope they are back to their normal budgets.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
It's bullshit their budget is cut considering they're profitable and funding the crap no one watches on the BBC.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Its not bullshit. On the old boards the article stating as much was linked. Besides, this is one of the most popular shows in the world, do you really think they decided to have less episodes on a whim?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He means it's shitty that it happened considering they are clearly a net gain for the network, not that it did not happen.

I'm trying to remember if they got a budget increase last season or this season. For some reason I seem to recall that as a story after the initial cut at some point. I mean, the initial cuts were in like '08? I can;t find anything mentioning it going back up though.

Also saw that at the time in '08 the guys had recently gotten raises. Clarkson was signed for 4.2mil a year and Hamster and May were 52 and 42k per episode, respectively. Kind of explains why the other two are so active in making other TV shows over there too.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That said...GOOD NEWS! Clarkson has confirmed we're getting a summer series this year. They've already filmed a race between a Corolla and a racing yacht for this upcoming series. I imagine it will start in June.
Yeah boy, June 30th, 10 days!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/Top...ack-2013-06-13

Awesome.
7s2nom8.jpg

Awesome.
mFJOHqm.jpg

And it looks like we're getting a new Reasonably Priced Car, based on this pic. Awesome.
C0jckqQ.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need to have a longer season. 6-8 episodes just isn't enough =/
That's how British shows do it typically, apparently. Those 9/10 episode seasons early on were abnormal for those limeys.

BUT! We're getting 2 seasons this year, should come out to 13 or 14 episodes total for one year. Which means 13-14 hours of great TV, way more than most shows manage in a year. Or really, more than ANY other show manages in a year. Everyone else has stinkers=P

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I enjoy their "tour the world" episodes. Like when they had to ride through Iraq and shit going to Bethlehem.

That was a great episode, as was the season finale last year touring Africa.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they toured africa just a few months ago. but i cant wait and it does in fact look like they are redoing their RPC scores. pretty damned quick since the last time.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
they toured africa just a few months ago. but i cant wait and it does in fact look like they are redoing their RPC scores. pretty damned quick since the last time.
Saw it confirmed in another teaser article thing.

The Kia got 4ish years and 41 drivers. Lacetti had 5ish years and 57 drivers. Suzuki Liana had 4 years and 65 drivers.

But those are just straight numbers from Wiki, early on they had goofy shit like the blind guy with Clarkson guiding counted. And of course the 2nd and 3rd cars had their numbers pumped up by the 1st episode track days.

It's kind of short, but not crazily so. And the Kia had by far the most big international stars in it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Watching the in-show driving, it really LOOKED like Tom Cruise was the fastest. But damn did he get smoked a lot.

I guess his was the most action-packed lap time though.

And I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys the movie with Cameron Diaz that he was in promoting when he did that episode.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I take all their times with a grain of salt. After they let Jay Kay go 7 times until he had a time that beat Simon Cowell it's pretty clear they're happy to game the system to get someone where they want them. They'll always skew shit to push their own agenda(look up their crooked shit with electric cars they've tested), I just accept that it's not a documentary.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I take all their times with a grain of salt. After they let Jay Kay go 7 times until he had a time that beat Simon Cowell it's pretty clear they're happy to game the system to get someone where they want them. They'll always skew shit to push their own agenda(look up their crooked shit with electric cars they've tested),I just accept that it's not a documentary.
la la la la la I can't hear you!