Poll The Great Telemarketing Avalanche of 2016/2017

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Is one or more of your phones getting daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls?

• I own multiple lines, they all get daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls.

Votes: 37 27.0%
  • I own a single line, it gets daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls.

Votes: 70 51.1%
  • I own multiple lines, I never or very rarely get telemarketing calls.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I own a single line, I never or very rarely get telemarketing calls.

Votes: 22 16.1%

• Total voters

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
bell canada screwed up when they set up my land line with a second number dedicated to our fax machine. tbey tried to fix it several times and failed miserably. end result is that all long distance calls go straight to the fax. all friends and family call us on our cells along with my clients. the only calls incoming to our landline are telemarketers and they get screechex at everytime.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Go go totalitarian EU gubernment I guess.
Doesn't work in France. Does that mean we're out of EU yet?

There is an official "do not call" registry. Made no difference.

Btw, this thread made me decide to junk the voicemail (on land line). It only gets telemarketing calls anyway, so that's not a loss.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Btw, this thread made me decide to junk the voicemail (on land line). It only gets telemarketing calls anyway, so that's not a loss.

We have one of those too, don't know if it helps.

I got more calls a few years ago but turning down absolutely everything (even if it was actually free or cheaper than what I had) might have helped. I turn away charities at the door too if they have a shitty story or a scammy way of collecting (automatic deduction that you can "stop anytime"). Maybe I'm just an asshole that they have given up on...

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We were just talking about this at work the other day. Damn near everyone - myself included - is getting deluged with fake IRS calls. I average just over 1/day. But like many others here, if your name doesn't pop up on my phone when it rings, I don't answer. I just make a habit to add numbers of people I get legit calls from now and again - doc, dentist, etc.

I'd say I don't know who the hell falls for this shit, but then, I deal with these types of morons on a daily basis. It's absolutely amazing how stupid and/or ignorant the average person is.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love the ones that say they work for windows. My first thought was "Really, you work for a program"? Then of course I realized that they must have meant my actual windows in my house. I asked if they cleaned dirty windows. The guy was like "Yes, we can clean windows on computer. I tried to explain to him that my computer did not have any windows but that my screen was pretty dirty. I asked how much they charged for each window. I figured he might get annoyed at this point but he was determined(They NEVER use females). He kept trying to direct me to certain files and I kept explaining that the dining room windows were the dirtiest because my dog liked to look out those windows. It took a while of back and forth but eventually I got to learn some new words. It was fun.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's people that answer their phone? Unless you're my mother you're gonna be shit out of luck trying to call me.
My mother calls my wife by now. Easily one of the best marriage perks.

We don't need a DNC list in Germany. Calls like that are illegal by default.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
if its so urgent that you need to call, you need the fire department instead of me anyway

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Recent months things have gotten more numerous - but I am getting the fake IRS and fake "local police will take you into custody!" robo voicemails... the annoying thing is - I do not answer anything that I do not have saved - but they fill up my limited space in my visual voicemail...stupid Verizon.

• 1Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Shoot I get these scam ones too and block them on my iphone. My father said his business land line always gets calls from google wanting him to pay them for advertising and such, tells them no then they call back a day later from a different area code, at least 1-2 a week.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Yep this is why I'm dumping my Android phone. I've got a Samsung and the options on it are only mildly better. My HTC is basically a telemarketing frisbee with no call-block function with any apps since update 4.4 to 5.0 removed the core ability from the operating system.

Its just sad the way Google/Kitkat 4.4 team decided to remove a lot of app compatibility for call handling (bare in mind, Android phone has always relied on either the manufacturer 2nd party software, or 3rd party apps to control calls and text messaging)

I think we all know why Android lost almost all of its meaningful call-handling options 3 years ago. If you don't believe in this particular conspiracy you are a moran. But if there is an Android version beyond 5.0 that restored everything the pre 4.4 had, please aware me before I throw these phones in the trash.

I have 3 phones total, yet no Iphone. Time to change that.

join the 21st goddamn century and get a phone capable of 7.1+

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
There was a guy who sold a device that would just go on and on keeping the idiots on the phone wasting their time.

"Would you like to buy XYZ"
"Ok let me get this...ooh there's a bee in here let me get it"
"Almost got the bee"
5 minutes later
"Oh I got the bee now about your product.."
"Yes it's XYZ"
"Oh wait someone is at the door"
5 minutes later
"Ok tell me about it"

They had a demonstration video on some youtube channel and the longest they got was keepiong the idiots on the phone for 20 minutes in hopes of getting a sale.

I discovered "Lenny" a few weeks ago, I think his record is close to an hour now:

Someone needs to make a Lenny app for Android/iPhone. If these dickless spammers are going to keep spamming us the least we can do is waste their time too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I discovered "Lenny" a few weeks ago, I think his record is close to an hour now:

Someone needs to make a Lenny app for Android/iPhone. If these dickless spammers are going to keep spamming us the least we can do is waste their time too.

When the recording answered the idiot calling couldn't even get his name out and what company he supposidly represented.

• 1Worf

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I lost my old cell # thanks to Sprint being fuckheads after their shitty phone bricked.

My new Verizon number was previously owned by someone named Josh who was apparently the biggest drug dealer in the eastern US, gave his number to EVERY "meet women in your [location.js]" ad that has ever ran, and is on the list of every collection agency on the planet.

And even with all that, it only took a few weeks of blocking numbers to reduce the spam down to the usual trickle, at least up until the last couple of weeks from all the spoofed calls.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is almost completely unrelated, but in the Lenny video, the Comcast business rep says they offer 99.95% uptime. That seems pretty shit for a business connection, isn't it? Maybe it's because the only time I've worked IT as a civilian it was for a web based company so any downtime meant massive amount of lost money. But that's an entire 4 hours over the course of a year of unscheduled downtime.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Pretty standard for the big name ISP contracts. If you want an insane SLA you can pay bigbucks for it. There are fiber ISPs that don't even offer SLAs.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I live in Ohio but have an Atlanta phone number and get probably 2-3 404 calls a day so I know to just ignore them.

I had a good one a while back where I got a call from a Seattle number. Some guy saying that he's from whatever company that handles my car warranty (had all the info about my make/model and even the dealership I got it from which is spooky). Tells me that my warranty has expired and in order to keep it I needed to make a payment right now and if I get off the phone then the offer is expired.

What's always stunned me is that even if I call them out they never drop the act. I can say "This is a scam. You are a scammer. You are trying to scam me." and they get huffy and go right back into the script. It just seems like such a labor suck. If you're found out why not just get off this call and try the next one? Do you think I'm going to submit after the third time you mention "serious penalties and fine" and just go "Ah, your right. Lemme go get my credit card"?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Kiki

Log Wizard
Dealerships sell that info instantly. Same reason you start getting warranty bullshit in the mail.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Dealerships cant sell your info in canada because that is illegal and you could be fined for spamming.