Poll The Great Telemarketing Avalanche of 2016/2017

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Is one or more of your phones getting daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls?

• I own multiple lines, they all get daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls.

Votes: 37 27.0%
  • I own a single line, it gets daily or nearly daily telemarketing calls.

Votes: 70 51.1%
  • I own multiple lines, I never or very rarely get telemarketing calls.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I own a single line, I never or very rarely get telemarketing calls.

Votes: 22 16.1%

• Total voters

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In the last year, myself and almost everyone i've asked has been getting telemarketing calls on a daily basis, on every phone number we have. I have three numbers, one of which is a Google Voice number that I've never given out to anyone, and occasionally I still get a telemarketing voicemail left on it, which is at least a little entertaining because google's talk-to-text butchers it.

1. The source number is always spoofed, usually to look like a local number (area code + prefix are the same as my numbers about 30% of the time i'd say).
2. The source number is always different, so blocking numbers is not an option.
3. Being on the national do-not-call list doesn't help.
4. Asking that they kindly add you to their do-not-call list doesn't help.
5. Not answering doesn't help either, I went at least a few months without answering a single phone call except from people I knew and they still keep calling, every day.
6. You can't ignore them, you can't ask them to stop, they don't honor the national do-not-call list.

Lately, it's all robo calls initially: "press 1 to buy a new Toaster, press 2 to be put on our do-not-call list", etc. I've used the prompt to add my number to their do-not-call list so many times i've lost track, which immediately hangs up on you but nothing else. I've purposely pushed 1 or whatever in hopes of talking to someone, and then telling them to never call me again, but nothing seems to stop these jackasses. At best, you start getting calls selling you some other bullshit, usually something with warranties or vacations.

So i'm curious how many of you are in the same boat, and if you know of a sure-fire way to stop the constant calls.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
About 3 months ago, I started getting calls from spoofed area code and prefix numbers, about once a week. If it ever escalates to more than that rough average of once a week, I will likely rage. Look for me in the news.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My wife and I have been getting a ton on our cell phones lately. Thankfully the telemarketers do us a favor by spoofing the area code. We both still have our cell numbers from when we lived in San Diego but we have lived in the bay area for 6 years now. So anytime a 619 or 858 number pops up on my phone, I know I can safely ignore it. They also never leave a voicemail. So while it is slightly annoying, I am able to avoid it for the most part.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I used to get Jamaican scam calls that will later follow up and text you and try and get a reply to incur charges but I don't think that scam has worked for yrs. Never answered any of the initial calls, I reverse look up suspicious numbers if they dont leave voicemail. Googling funky numbers usually throws up scam alerts. If your cell is android pretty sure you can deny blocked calls. My landline Telco also gave me the option since the late 80s. I have a hefty ignore list on my cell phone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
My wife and I have been getting a ton on our cell phones lately. Thankfully the telemarketers do us a favor by spoofing the area code. We both still have our cell numbers from when we lived in San Diego but we have lived in the bay area for 6 years now. So anytime a 619 or 858 number pops up on my phone, I know I can safely ignore it. They also never leave a voicemail. So while it is slightly annoying, I am able to avoid it for the most part.
Pretty much this. I have a work cell (gets NO calls I am not expecting and I answer it every single time) and a personal one that gets daily or multiple daily calls from my home area code. I simply ignore those ones and wait for a VM and if none comes, go about my day. Sometimes when I'm high I will answer them in the hopes it's an Indian or African dude who wants to chat but it's almost always a robo-call.

• 1Worf

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much this. I have a work cell (gets NO calls I am not expecting and I answer it every single time) and a personal one that gets daily or multiple daily calls from my home area code. I simply ignore those ones and wait for a VM and if none comes, go about my day. Sometimes when I'm high I will answer them in the hopes it's an Indian or African dude who wants to chat but it's almost always a robo-call.

In the old days the Paki from 'Microsoft' trying to get a virus off my computer by giving him access was good for 2-3 beers worth of entertainment. "Where is my power button located?" "Yeah not seeing one, nope not there either, its says Xbox does that help??' If I couldn't get them to start swearing at me I would consider it a loss.

• 7Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
In the old days the Paki from 'Microsoft' trying to get a virus off my computer by giving him access was good for 2-3 beers worth of entertainment. "Where is my power button located?" "Yeah not seeing one, nope not there either, its says Xbox does that help??'
Oh man that is JV shit. I would come hard with the "Man, I know this is bullshit. How you doing? Your boss cool?" and have a decent conversation and try to find out where Bin Laden was REALLY at. Those poor dudes are just trying to make a PakiBuck.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity

sole

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I used to love messing with "Windows Tech Support." Haven't gotten one of those in a while, but tons of "free cruises," "irs needs money," and "lower interest rates on credit cards," bullshit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I get a few calls a week. Didn't realize this was a thing, thought it was just a coincidence. Now I'm actually more annoyed.

I never answer unless I know the number, which means my phone doesn't actually get used as a phone ever. No one calls me except maybe my mom.

Really, I'd be fine getting rid of the "phone" portion of my phone and just using it for WhatsApp, texting, and internet.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yep this is why I'm dumping my Android phone. I've got a Samsung and the options on it are only mildly better. My HTC is basically a telemarketing frisbee with no call-block function with any apps since update 4.4 to 5.0 removed the core ability from the operating system.

Its just sad the way Google/Kitkat 4.4 team decided to remove a lot of app compatibility for call handling (bare in mind, Android phone has always relied on either the manufacturer 2nd party software, or 3rd party apps to control calls and text messaging)

I think we all know why Android lost almost all of its meaningful call-handling options 3 years ago. If you don't believe in this particular conspiracy you are a moran. But if there is an Android version beyond 5.0 that restored everything the pre 4.4 had, please aware me before I throw these phones in the trash.

I have 3 phones total, yet no Iphone. Time to change that.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
getting those too, but you can call the number back and the recording asks you if you want your name off the list and you punch in a number on the dial pad and they stop. did that on tuesday and nothing since.

• 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I constantly get robo calls for various bullshit these days. If I do answer the damn call they leave a fucking message so I have to log into my voice mail and delete them. I'm too lazy for this shit!

• 1Like

Cybsled

They have all been spoofed local numbers. I don't bother answering my phone as a result...if it is important, they leave a VM. If it is a robo-marketer, they don't bother to leave one.

On a side note, most of these have been determined to be overseas bullshit where they are using the internet to spoof numbers, which is why the DNC list does jackshit.

On a side note, if you do answer, never use any word that can be construed as being an affirmative or acceptance, especially not the word 'yes'. Apparently some of these operations record that and use it for vocal authorization on your part for scams done over the phone.

• 1Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I changed phone lines six months ago and I've had daily phonecalls 6-12 times a day. Always in spanish, always demanding I pay money right now or that I tell them where Esthar Villa-something lives.

• 1Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Please, please, please someone start a class action lawsuit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Have 4 phoness with consecutive numbers. Every time they go right down the list one phone after another. 2 of which I have never given out the number to anyone. I assume they just go down the list one after another and then change prefixes and start over.

• 2Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
They have all been spoofed local numbers. I don't bother answering my phone as a result...if it is important, they leave a VM. If it is a robo-marketer, they don't bother to leave one.

On a side note, most of these have been determined to be overseas bullshit where they are using the internet to spoof numbers, which is why the DNC list does jackshit.

On a side note, if you do answer, never use any word that can be construed as being an affirmative or acceptance, especially not the word 'yes'. Apparently some of these operations record that and use it for vocal authorization on your part for scams done over the phone.
Does yelling "Stop fucking calling you fucking cunts!!" in futility count as an affirmative?

• 3Worf

spronk

FPS noob
Please, please, please someone start a class action lawsuit.

its all illegal shit, they catch the people sometimes and send em to jail but you ain't getting shit out of it. The reason this is becoming a huge problem is apparently its insanely good money, a few weeks ago one got caught in Miami who made 96 MILLION fucking calls in 3 months and they FINED him $120m which means he probably made even more money
Miami Man Faces $120 Million Fine for 96-Million Robocall Spree

the name of the guy? abramovitz

rLnGYvA.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just FYI this is an international scam group, the feds are aware of it and they are working on it.

Falsifying CIDs for harm is illegal (generally circumventing DNC and TCPA being enough standing for harm).

The reason they use matching area code and prefix as your line is just because it bypasses most "fraudulent caller" apps and services. Generally since you are using a cell exchange prefix on your own cell phone, the spoofer will have one too ergo they will simply be assumed to be "local people you know". It's kind of a kludge, but it works for most issues, except these egregious ones.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought telemarketing was bad in the US...it's insane in Korea. I get multiple text messages daily with advertisements.

• 1Like