The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Most people do not mind the added stuff that is outside of the hobbit book itself, the stuff about going to see who the "necromancer" is- what happened while Bilbo was K.O. at the battle (maybe?) etc. what people ARE upset about was the added crap to the stuff that WAS written about...Neymoy's hobbit song hits on every major scene that PJ should have gotten exactly right as they are the main scenes that we all remember of the story- just add the oger turning to stone situation... I think the rest was sung about ;-)

they also wanted to make it darker than the orig novel to match the expanded stuff from the simalirialn etc. yet what they added was light hearted crap!? wtf... the only silly part that was in the book was the dishes song, and it was done just to piss Bilbo off- they could have cut that song seeing as the awesome of the lonely mountain song was killed because of it.
The dishes scene was great, lonely mountain song was great. The 2 hours of benny hill RUN THIS WAY crap just got old. They did that shit in pirates of the carribean. Fucking give me resolution. I'd rather have a 10 second fight with great build up than some build up and 3 hours of LOL FIGHTING. After a while, that shit just gets tiresome and stupid.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think the worst part by far besides the Elf/Dwarf love-in is the political bullshit going on in Laketown. It's awful, was never part of the original novel, and is completely unnecessary and doesn't add anything to the movie. And the retarded barrel fight scene, and the benny hill shit in Smaug's lair. Okay, pretty much everything is terrible.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Heres an idea, skip this movie etchazz.

Has for me, ill go see it in theatre and i already know ill enjoy it. I know, crazy uh?

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Come to papa
rrr_img_83989.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Heres an idea, skip this movie etchazz.
This.

After fighting the urge to walk out of the theater during the first one I decided the other two would be pay-per-view affairs. That way you get to self credit as editor and eliminate a lot of the unnecessary bullshit, particularly the incessant chase sequences, and make them marginally watchable.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
well, watched it yesterday...

I'd say that it was better than the 2nd movie for sure, but unexpected journey is still the best. the good parts were where the actors were actually acting with each other, like bilbo and thorin. thorins transformation was pretty decently handled, going from good to bad and then to redemption. as was bilbo in growing as person. so when glimpses of the actual source material shone through, it was good.

too much focus on the battle and too little on the dialogue and the aftermath of the battle. too many crazy monsters and such creatures used for one or two scenes then completely disregarded. even one of the 5 armies was more or less disregarded. the worst parts were all these bad comic book villains roles for smaug, bolg, azog etc. also the shoehorned romance/family scenes. legolas of course had some ridiculous actions scenes, but i guess that's just to be expected now.
overall it was decent, maybe a 6/10, thanks to the dialogues of bilbo, gandalf and thorin.

wizard battle with nazguls+sauron was kind of neat, but just so out-of-place.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw the movie last night and I have a pretty mixed opinion of it. I think it simply lacked the gravity of the original trilogy. LoTR you felt if this doesn't work, the world is fucked. This movie simply felt like it was a battle (albeit a big one) for a simple strategic piece of land.

One thing that really kept taking me out of the immersion was the dwarf leader (Dain?) of the Stonefoot army. Was he entirely CGI? It just did NOT look natural at all and was major uncanny valley to me. I can not imagine why the hell they would CGI simple facial interactions. Maybe it wasn't, but it just looked odd as fuck.

**Just googled it, it was CGI. What the flying fuck, why??*

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Not going to read spoilers because I'll be miserable enough watching it as is but someone tell me if Beorn wrecks some motherfuckers. Because I'm not watching it he doesn't.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Not going to read spoilers because I'll be miserable enough watching it as is but someone tell me if Beorn wrecks some motherfuckers. Because I'm not watching it he doesn't.
Beorn's in it for maybe 15 seconds, but you do see him take apart some orcs. It's definitely too brief and I really hope they add more of him into the EE as they did for the EE of DOS.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
It's pretty evident that Jackson and/or the studio took into consideration the complaints about there being too much bloat in the previous two films. The problem is that they took it too far, and ironically, this one is too short as a result. If you're paying attention, you can clearly pick out moments where a scene was meant to go further, but instead abruptly cuts to something else. TTT had this problem, which was remedied in the EE. I hope that will be the case here.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Beorn's in it for maybe 15 seconds, but you do see him take apart some orcs. It's definitely too brief and I really hope they add more of him into the EE as they did for the EE of DOS.
Yep, confirm Beorn had zero dialogue whatsoever and about 10 seconds of a quick mauling, never to be seen again through the end of the film.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Yep, confirm Beorn had zero dialogue whatsoever and about 10 seconds of a quick mauling, never to be seen again through the end of the film.
Me thinking an evil ploy to sell EE's. Someone give me all 6 EE movies collector's edition and i'll say nothing more.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep, I learned from the LoTR triple dip that I will only buy these once an EE box set is available.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Well PJ and his terrible movie can fuck off then. Thanks for the info.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, I thought that even with LotR, the theatrical releases were slightly above average (especially TTT). The EEs are what made them epic, in my opinion.