The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
It looks like the majority of the cost came from filming in 3d . .
I've stated here before that I am no fan of 3D, I'm hoping that what you've said here is another of the steps that will lead to its demise.

If we get start to get a number of box office bombs that had production costs swollen by 3D budget then their end will come soon.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's frustrating because there are some movies where 3d really added to the enjoyment. Pacific rim for example. But 90% of the time its completely avoidable

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
^ that. no reason for this shit to be 3 mediocre movies.

*for the consumer. billions of reasons for the filmmakers

Isifhan

Molten Core Raider
I'm quite interested in the Jurassic World trailer attached to the movie to be honest :p
So wait, Jurassic World and Star Wars will have a trailer attached to this? Definitely will go just to see the trailers if nothing else
biggrin.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wouldn't say 79% is not promising. The whole series has sucked besides a few gems in the first movie anyways.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It's not fair to judge these movies by reviews. They are being compared, even subconsciously, to the originals. The original trilogy is our first love and first step into Middle Earth. We can say whatever we want but deep down we know the biggest problem is they are not the Lord of the Rings. Every review I have read since the first installment to the Hobbit has been criticizing Jackson's decision and you can tell it is obvious the reviewers can not take them out of context of the Lord of the Rings.

I understand if you don't like the movies and you probably have good, if nothing else, your own valid reasons but all I am saying is if you thought these movies would come out and get 90+'s on RT or MC you were fooling yourself.

They have their faults but to me if they get anything 60+ or especially upper 70's, I think that's a really good sign.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
early reviews are trickling in. doesn't look too promising.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Rotten Tomatoes
Not that I care for the opinions of most critics, but if that holds, it'll still end up a good deal better than the first two. I'm not sure what else you could hope for at this point. Even if it turns out to be amazing, it's not going to convert anyone who strongly disliked the previous films.

Anyway, I watched the EE of DOS recently, and while I agree that these movies are too fucking long as is, the EE definitely had some quality inclusions that decently improved the film overall. I heard that the EE of the third film will have 30 minutes of additional material, which has me worried about what they might have cut out so that they could fit in more nonsense.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I'm seeing this here and the same thing is happening in the Star Wars thread. Its the EQ > all MMO syndrome. For a lot of us EQ was our first mmo and we hold all others to that standard. Are there better graphics and combat systems now? Yep... By far. But no mmo will have the same sense of unknown and mystery the original had. Same with these new movie sequel trilogies. They are being held to the impossible task if being better than the originals.
I'm excited for part 3 and I will have all three sitting on the shelf next to LotR.

spronk

FPS noob
hmm got free screening i can go to tomorrow, but its kinda cold outside

the wait times between theater/blu ray for hobbit is pretty long. second one came out dec 13, 2013. blu ray rips showed up march 19th, so about 3 months not too bad. But extended rips didn't show up till Oct 28th, so thats 10 months until you could see all 3 EE's at home. hmmmmmmmm

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm seeing this here and the same thing is happening in the Star Wars thread. Its the EQ > all MMO syndrome. For a lot of us EQ was our first mmo and we hold all others to that standard. Are there better graphics and combat systems now? Yep... By far. But no mmo will have the same sense of unknown and mystery the original had. Same with these new movie sequel trilogies. They are being held to the impossible task if being better than the originals.
I'm excited for part 3 and I will have all three sitting on the shelf next to LotR.
What bothers me most is the way things were done. A lot of LOTR looks realistic. In the Hobbit there were a lot of corners cut.. the CG orks/uruks, the almost always noticeable set pieces/backdrops (especially noticeable in HFR3D), etc. I also didn't enjoy the stupid over the top things with the dwarves like when they're crushed by the king or the dumb as shit water barrel scene.

Feien

Ploppers
Biggest gripe I've had this time around has been the editing and script structure. I actually like the inclusion of all the story from the appendices, I don't even mind Legolas being around, or the weird love story they are building with Kili and Tauriel (though I'm worried that this in the end will take away from the Fili/Kili brotherhood relationship near the end which would suck). I even expected rolling my eyes here and there during action sequences, just like we did during LoTR. But there has been a huge inconsistency in pacing this time around compared to the original trilogy, and I don't think this is only due to it being 3 movies (though I'm sure it didn't help), cus I think you could have built a solid 3 movie timeline, but probably hard to make great sense of it, when you make this decision After principal photography is over and only a few months before the first movie is out.

However, one of the things I've been recently hearing about is a vague answer to a question I've had in the back of my head, what would Guillermo's version been like? After seeing the first movie I felt like that would have been the better version, specially cus I love Gullermo and would have loved to see his vision, but from what I've heard recently (much of which I can't mention for a while due to NDAs and what not) I'm glad PJ took the reigns, as much as I dislike some of his creative choices.

I also hear the studios didn't give PJ as much freedom as people seem to believe.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I don't think it has much to do with what came first, at least not nearly as much as it has to do with LoTR (the book) simply being the superior work. Even the best possible adaptation of The Hobbit, whether done in 1 film or 15, could never touch the majesty and epic qualities of LoTR. The source material is just much more interesting. Years ago, I remember Jackson himself saying something like he'd never be able to go back and do The Hobbit after completing LoTR, because it would just pale in comparison.

Now that he's obviously gone back and done The Hobbit, I think he feels he needs to infuse it with every ounce of "epicness" as possible so that - in his mind - it can be compared favorably to the previous trilogy. For that reason, I don't think that they cut any corners or are trying less hard at all. If anything, they're trying *too* hard, with the result that we have loads of additional material that doesn't really belong anywhere near The Hobbit.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
It's not fair to judge these movies by reviews. They are being compared, even subconsciously, to the originals. The original trilogy is our first love and first step into Middle Earth. We can say whatever we want but deep down we know the biggest problem is they are not the Lord of the Rings. Every review I have read since the first installment to the Hobbit has been criticizing Jackson's decision and you can tell it is obvious the reviewers can not take them out of context of the Lord of the Rings.

I understand if you don't like the movies and you probably have good, if nothing else, your own valid reasons but all I am saying is if you thought these movies would come out and get 90+'s on RT or MC you were fooling yourself.

They have their faults but to me if they get anything 60+ or especially upper 70's, I think that's a really good sign.
Motherfucker shit is slapstick. The movies are bad and everyone involved should feel bad. Gandalfs bubble o light and Beorn are the only two things not shitty about them so far. I'm going to see the 3rd movie still but solely because I want to watch Beorn raping the ever loving shit out of some motherfuckers. If it doesn't happen I'll hunt Jackson for the rest of my days.

It's not about being better than LotR. The stories aren't comparable even when it comes to the books. It's about ninja dwarfs and the elfs who fall in love with them. Shit is retarded.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Motherfucker shit is slapstick. The movies are bad and everyone involved should feel bad. Gandalfs bubble o light and Beorn are the only two things not shitty about them so far. I'm going to see the 3rd movie still but solely because I want to watch Beorn raping the ever loving shit out of some motherfuckers. If it doesn't happen I'll hunt Jackson for the rest of my days.

It's not about being better than LotR. The stories aren't comparable even when it comes to the books. It's about ninja dwarfs and the elfs who fall in love with them. Shit is retarded.
I don't think anyone is denying that... I believe the Elf/Dwarf love is probably the part I hate worst. The other stuff I kinda look over simply because I heard this story for the first time when I was a kid so I appreciate some the less serious visuals. However, the point being made is the Hobbit movies are never going to garner much praise because one, they are not as good (given the source material in my opinion is not as in depth and meaty) and secondly because it is following a movie masterpiece. The Lord of the Rings is arguably some the greatest work in film possibly of all time. Especially in respect to a franchise. In the last 50 years you have what? Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings in terms of a family of movies to their level of praise and reputation.

Bottom line, you cannot listen to reviews on this thing because it is either going to be good to you or miserable. The reviews are, for the most part, totally out of context. Not to mention, some of these guys write reviews because they get more attention hating on stuff. It's their livelyhood.

Siliconemelons

Most people do not mind the added stuff that is outside of the hobbit book itself, the stuff about going to see who the "necromancer" is- what happened while Bilbo was K.O. at the battle (maybe?) etc. what people ARE upset about was the added crap to the stuff that WAS written about...Neymoy's hobbit song hits on every major scene that PJ should have gotten exactly right as they are the main scenes that we all remember of the story- just add the oger turning to stone situation... I think the rest was sung about ;-)

they also wanted to make it darker than the orig novel to match the expanded stuff from the simalirialn etc. yet what they added was light hearted crap!? wtf... the only silly part that was in the book was the dishes song, and it was done just to piss Bilbo off- they could have cut that song seeing as the awesome of the lonely mountain song was killed because of it.

Feien

Ploppers
I'm going to see the 3rd movie still but solely because I want to watch Beorn raping the ever loving shit out of some motherfuckers. If it doesn't happen I'll hunt Jackson for the rest of my days.
Since they cut out a lot of Beorn from the theatrical release, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't around much in this movie (God I hope I'm wrong), but they do place more emphasis on him on the Extended edition, and I know for a fact that they did film more than a few scenes with him that would be in this movie, but something tells me that will end up in the Extended version.