The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
What i've been saying. The first 30-45 minutes of part 3 should have been the end of part 2. I don't see how Jackson even arrived at that decision. The end of 2 should have the death of Smaug, cut to the armies rising up, and sauron....fade to black. Then you open part 3 with the uber battle. Honestly, I thought the Smaug fight/death was really well done. I liked the dialogue too. Smaug was ruthless and pretty much evil (which is why I believe Gandalf really wanted to take on this journey was to ensure Smaug didn't fall to side of Sauron). Threatening to pick apart and eat his son in front of him after destroying an entire city and 100's of lives. I thought that was more LotR Jackson than anything else in the triology. Unfortunately, it was a very short sequence.
Yeah, it'll be less annoying once they can all be watched at home however you'd like to, but they could have easily wrapped up Smaug in 2. Apparently the extensive scene with the Dwarves and Smaug bumbling around Erebor was very last-minute and was shot with little to no storyboarding or script. Jackson literally waved a camera around and Weta inserted the dragon and random scenes of Dwarves doing things, which makes the final rendition pretty impressive despite the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

Siliconemelons

Are there fan edits of everything yet? I mean honestly the hobbit movies (at least 1 and 2) would be mounds better if the rabbit chase, goblin tunnel ride and barrel scenes where cut down- and really there would not be much to QQ about as we knew there would be changes in the story/flow like LOTR... In the lord of the rings you kinda had to cut down the timeline and how long everything was... I figured they could have kept that in the hobbit and try and show how long the journey was- mostly this happened in the elf jail...but I do agree not many movie goes would have liked watching Bilbo wonder around the halls for a few days etc.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Finally saw this last night and although it has been YEARS since I read the book(s), one thing bothered me at the end is what Peter Jackson tried to do. (come up with some bridge from Hobbit to LoTR. In the end the king / prince / whoever leader elf told Legolas to go find the human up North (Strider). IIRC in the books, the hobbits / elfs / dwarfs live hundreds and hundreds of years while humans live the typical 50 or whatever. When the elf king tells Legolas to go find the human Strider Bilbo is still pretty young. Flash forward to the beginning of LoTR when Bilbo is old and Legolas finally meets up with Strider (eventually).

Now my question. How the hell does the king know / care about the humans up north and this Strider guy and how the hell is he still alive? Normally I would say magic rings or some such giving Strider long life but we all know what happens when humans wear the magic rings.

Even if Strider is some how special and lives a really long time, why would it take Legolas so long to find him? Any Colbert type LoTR nerds out there know the answer?
It's just fucking stupid and not part of the books.

Probably a leftover for when film 2/3 was going to be the adventures of young Aragorn tracking down Gollum outside Mordor for Gandalf to see what he knows about rings (which is in the LotR appendix).

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
And it's pretty clear in the movie that he and Legolas were already well acquainted by the time we first see them both in FoTR.
They would likely have met when Aragorn took Gollum to the elves of Mirkwood after he captured him for Gandalf.

A lot of people knew Aragorn even if they didn't know the significance of who he was because he used a different name in his earlier travels. The guy got around. He served some time in the army of Rohan and he served Denethor's father when he was Steward of Gondor (which was why Denethor didn't like him; he suspected who he was and saw it as grooming him for the throne).

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
It's just fucking stupid and not part of the books.
It's not "just fucking stupid" for any of those reasons.

Again, he was well into adulthood at the time, he had already been raised in Rivendell by elves, and he was a pretty exclusive member of a nearly extinct race. Thranduil knowing who he was made perfect sense and fit just fine.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's been a few years since ive last read the books but isnt he like best friends with Thranduil although he chose to get education in Rivendell and would regulary go hunting with Legolas/Thranduil till the latter decides he gets too old for that shit?

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's not "just fucking stupid" for any of those reasons.

Again, he was well into adulthood at the time, he had already been raised in Rivendell by elves, and he was a pretty exclusive member of a nearly extinct race. Thranduil knowing who he was made perfect sense and fit just fine.
Joda: "Hey Obi-Wan, I know this great kid called young Han Solo you should go meet him he may be important some day in our thousand year struggle with the Sith"
~20 years later~
Obi-Wan "Hello, I'm Ben Kenobi"

I don't care how possible it is, the very concept is just stupid and not needed. There is no reference to this ever actually happening, in fact I just looked it up and Aragorn actually went to the wood elf kingdom as a ranger, he wasn't tracked down and trained by Legolas wtf.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I finally finished my rewatching of the EE three LOTR movies. I now take offense with anyone who complains of the multiple endings for the ROTK. They just completed the most epic quest ever and they had a few loose ends to tie up. It was great.
smile.png

It would have been fantastic to see the scouring of the shire on film, as the last 100 pages of ROTK book was f-ing fantastic. But I can see why (yet another build up to climax and then another resolution, etc.) ... Also, it's crazy how the real LOTR stuff in the movies is all great, and the shit he added in (the hours of extra elf shit with Arwen "I saw death." "But you also saw life!" was so terrible and not needed. A fan edit would be great if it cut out all the added in and useless shit with Elrond and Arwen.

I had also read that the years had not been kind to LOTR's CGI. There's only a few things that bugged me. One is the infamous scene where Legolas back grabs and flips up on the horse in the TTT when they are attacked on the way to Helms Deep. The other one that really bothered me was when Pippin dedicates himself to serve Denethor, there's a terrible greenscreen scene where he starts to walk forward and Gandalf moves to the side. It was done terribly. There's a couple other green screen scenes there were done poorly too, but that one was the only one worth mentioning.

I'm drunk. I'm sorry for how retarded this sounds. I promise I don't have down syndrome.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They needed something to explain how Aragorn ends up with Anduril, since I believe in the books they reforge it when the fellowship is in Rivendell. Maybe before then, but either way he definitely has it after they leave Rivendell. I didn't mind the shit where Elrond is trying to send Arwen to the grey havens, it was only like 5 minutes of content, not 'hours of extra elf shit'.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Joda: "Hey Obi-Wan, I know this great kid called young Han Solo you should go meet him he may be important some day in our thousand year struggle with the Sith"
~20 years later~
Obi-Wan "Hello, I'm Ben Kenobi"

I don't care how possible it is, the very concept is just stupid and not needed. There is no reference to this ever actually happening, in fact I just looked it up and Aragorn actually went to the wood elf kingdom as a ranger, he wasn't tracked down and trained by Legolas wtf.
Of course it's not needed, but stupid? Nah. Drawing comparisons between that and Yoda mentioning Han Solo to a young Obi-Wan, however, is. Thranduil would have known of - if not outright known - Aragorn. His lineage was of extreme importance to the "elders" of Middle Earth. Han Solo didn't mean shit to anyone until he helped to blow up the Death Star.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
It's been a few years since ive last read the books but isnt he like best friends with Thranduil although he chose to get education in Rivendell and would regulary go hunting with Legolas/Thranduil till the latter decides he gets too old for that shit?
No, he and his mother took refuge in Rivendell after the death of this father, and Elrond fostered/raised on him. Aragorn was actually the descendant of Elrond's twin brother Elros, (who chose to be human, a choice afforded to him as a half-Elf, while Elrond chose Elfen life).

spronk

FPS noob
ugh watching this shit right now, so tedious. every 5 minutes some new creature or location pops up and all you can think is "why the fuck is this story getting more complicated!?!?" so glad i didn't pay money to see this in theaters. only an hour in and i needed to get away and take a break.

dvd screener is pretty meh quality, its watchable but not really great. if you are a visual purist i'd probably wait for the super duper extended edition with extra CGI, since i can't see anyone wanting to see this crapfest more than once.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Of course it's not needed, but stupid? Nah. Drawing comparisons between that and Yoda mentioning Han Solo to a young Obi-Wan, however, is. Thranduil would have known of - if not outright known - Aragorn. His lineage was of extreme importance to the "elders" of Middle Earth. Han Solo didn't mean shit to anyone until he helped to blow up the Death Star.
No, it's fucking stupid.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They needed something to explain how Aragorn ends up with Anduril, since I believe in the books they reforge it when the fellowship is in Rivendell. Maybe before then, but either way he definitely has it after they leave Rivendell. I didn't mind the shit where Elrond is trying to send Arwen to the grey havens, it was only like 5 minutes of content, not 'hours of extra elf shit'.
In the books he leaves Rivendell w/o it. Arwen convinces Elrond to reforge it and her brothers end up delivering it to him just before he decides to go and get dat ghosts (to buttfuck the corsairs later).

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Just watched the third movie in the theater. Should have waited for the torrent.

We walked out at the end and were like: da fuk did we just spend money on?

Sad they ruined the book. Cash grab +++

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
In the books he leaves Rivendell w/o it. Arwen convinces Elrond to reforge it and her brothers end up delivering it to him just before he decides to go and get dat ghosts (to buttfuck the corsairs later).
No, it's re-forged while they are all in Rivendell and he leaves there with it. Aragorn not getting the sword until before he sets out for the dead army and in dramatic fashion was entirely a movie invention.

In the book it was like, "Hey, your sword's done." "K, thx."

Siliconemelons

No, it's re-forged while they are all in Rivendell and he leaves there with it. Aragorn not getting the sword until before he sets out for the dead army and in dramatic fashion was entirely a movie invention.

In the book it was like, "Hey, your sword's done." "K, thx."
Indeed, he does not use it- I believe there is some internal or external dialog about why- mostly still his confliction with being all like "I am the king bitches" he finally is like "okay ill be king, ghost sword!" and everyone knew that only the elves could reforge the sword- and they would not give it to just anyone but the true king.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to fall on the side of being ok with the Aragorn mentioning. Like others said, he's a pretty important piece to the hope and potential outcome to middle earth. I think it was pretty evident when the fellowship would interact with people and they would say something like "they had heard about this ranger from the north..." or how they would not bow to him. People had been festering about Aragorn existence and his right to the thrown for quite awhile. Legolas also was very defensive of Aragon in FotR when they met with Elrond. He even told them they owed him their allegiance and their life.

I was really on the fence when I first saw it as well but when I went back and watched them over Christmas, it made more sense to me. However, it wouldn't have mattered if Legolas would not have been in the movie... you know, like he wasn't in the book.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They give him the banner she was working on for him.

And then wonder took ?omer, and a great joy; and he cast his sword up in the sunlight and sang as he caught it. And all eyes followed his gaze, and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count. And the stars flamed in the sunlight, for they were wrought of gems by Arwen daughter of Elrond; and the crown was bright in the morning, for it was wrought of mithril and gold.