The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I was in tears at the end of the second book. Of all the possible moments to deprive the viewer of from the books that is the last one I would have picked.

That and Sauron's party spotlight eye. Not much to complain about otherwise (I do think Viggo sucks but meh).

Chris

Potato del Grande
Imagine how much more epic LotR would be if it had the hobbit Sauron eye instead? DIGITALLY REMASTER THIS GEORGE LUCAS.

Caliane

Legolas of course.
He retired there with Taryn, and Goldmoon, and Bards daughters for the next 50 years, learning to surf on giant piles of gold, until the Fellowship.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My point was that even the obvious, "everyone knows the titanic sinks" argument isn't all that valid because not everyone knows the titanic actually sunk
Yes, but that's more to my point in that not EVERYONE who saw the LOTR movies had read the books or knew what was going to happen. So, even more reason to not deviate from the end of TTT, when Frodo was supposedly killed. It makes a much better ending to the second movie than how they actually did it. There was really no point in the deviation, except once again PJ was throwing in so much filler BS that he ran out of time to put it at the end of TTT, where it belonged.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
DVD SCR is out in all the usual places. I still have not stooped to even stealing this movie and glad I am sticking to my anti Jackson stance.

spronk

FPS noob
dvd screeners are out in all the usual places, image quality is good although image resolution is only 720x304
frown.png
its 2:24 in length including credits, probably means a 3 hour extended release in fall 2015.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes, but that's more to my point in that not EVERYONE who saw the LOTR movies had read the books or knew what was going to happen. So, even more reason to not deviate from the end of TTT, when Frodo was supposedly killed. It makes a much better ending to the second movie than how they actually did it. There was really no point in the deviation, except once again PJ was throwing in so much filler BS that he ran out of time to put it at the end of TTT, where it belonged.
Reread the book. Frodo is revealed to still be alive at the end of TTT.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Doesnt matter in the end as it was original only one book anyway.
His gripe remains putting the Frodo cocooning in TTT instead of RotK movie wise, where it could serve as a cliffhanger to the audience and i somewhat agree since i still remember the fat chick in front of me during RotK grasping he breath and almost bursting into tears during that scene, allthewhile i thought, geeze go read a book dumbass.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Finally saw this last night and although it has been YEARS since I read the book(s), one thing bothered me at the end is what Peter Jackson tried to do. (come up with some bridge from Hobbit to LoTR. In the end the king / prince / whoever leader elf told Legolas to go find the human up North (Strider). IIRC in the books, the hobbits / elfs / dwarfs live hundreds and hundreds of years while humans live the typical 50 or whatever. When the elf king tells Legolas to go find the human Strider Bilbo is still pretty young. Flash forward to the beginning of LoTR when Bilbo is old and Legolas finally meets up with Strider (eventually).

Now my question. How the hell does the king know / care about the humans up north and this Strider guy and how the hell is he still alive? Normally I would say magic rings or some such giving Strider long life but we all know what happens when humans wear the magic rings.

Even if Strider is some how special and lives a really long time, why would it take Legolas so long to find him? Any Colbert type LoTR nerds out there know the answer?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Aragorn/Strider is a direct descendant from the humans of Numenor and they lived for close to 200 years. Aragorn was like 80 in LoTR.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Now my question. How the hell does the king know / care about the humans up north and this Strider guy and how the hell is he still alive? Normally I would say magic rings or some such giving Strider long life but we all know what happens when humans wear the magic rings.

Even if Strider is some how special and lives a really long time, why would it take Legolas so long to find him? Any Colbert type LoTR nerds out there know the answer?
In addition to what Deathwing said, Aragorn was raised by the elves (by Elrond and Rivendell, I believe) so he had close ties with them throughout his life. I can't remember if the LOTR movies show Legolas and Aragorn meeting for the first time during the council at Rivendell, but if not it stands to assume that they met years before and were already friends. Note that my source for most LOTR information is LOTRO, so it might not be 100% correct.

Speaking of LOTRO, it's free to play and it does an awesome job of letting you dive into LOTR lore if you're interested in experiencing it. One play-through from level 1 to max will have you exploring all sorts of areas, characters, and backstories that are only touched on in the movies (and some, even in the books).

HUH_sl

shitlord
According to people on the internet Aragorn would be 10 years old at the end of the Hobbit.

All I could think about while watching this was why the fuck didn't they cut out that horrible dragon/dwarf action scene in part 2 and end that movie with the first 15minutes of this one.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
In addition to what Deathwing said, Aragorn was raised by the elves (by Elrond and Rivendell, I believe) so he had close ties with them throughout his life. I can't remember if the LOTR movies show Legolas and Aragorn meeting for the first time during the council at Rivendell, but if not it stands to assume that they met years before and were already friends. Note that my source for most LOTR information is LOTRO, so it might not be 100% correct.

Speaking of LOTRO, it's free to play and it does an awesome job of letting you dive into LOTR lore if you're interested in experiencing it. One play-through from level 1 to max will have you exploring all sorts of areas, characters, and backstories that are only touched on in the movies (and some, even in the books).
Aragorn tells Eowyn that he's 87 in TTT, (though I think that scene was only in the EE) which would make him around 27 during The Hobbit. And it's pretty clear in the movie that he and Legolas were already well acquainted by the time we first see them both in FoTR.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
According to people on the internet Aragorn would be 10 years old at the end of the Hobbit.

All I could think about while watching this was why the fuck didn't they cut out that horrible dragon/dwarf action scene in part 2 and end that movie with the first 15minutes of this one.
What i've been saying. The first 30-45 minutes of part 3 should have been the end of part 2. I don't see how Jackson even arrived at that decision. The end of 2 should have the death of Smaug, cut to the armies rising up, and sauron....fade to black. Then you open part 3 with the uber battle. Honestly, I thought the Smaug fight/death was really well done. I liked the dialogue too. Smaug was ruthless and pretty much evil (which is why I believe Gandalf really wanted to take on this journey was to ensure Smaug didn't fall to side of Sauron). Threatening to pick apart and eat his son in front of him after destroying an entire city and 100's of lives. I thought that was more LotR Jackson than anything else in the triology. Unfortunately, it was a very short sequence.