The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't know, I can't wait for the first 6 series of 24x2 hour episodes that tell the gruelling tale of Bilbo searching for the pencil to start writing the tale that Silmarillion is based upon. Including a 12 episode arc of trying to find his tobacco pouch and the ever gripping tale of his favourite potatoe boiling pan.

But does he get in a barrel

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I don't know, I can't wait for the first 6 series of 24x2 hour episodes that tell the gruelling tale of Bilbo searching for the pencil to start writing the tale that Silmarillion is based upon. Including a 12 episode arc of trying to find his tobacco pouch and the ever gripping tale of his favourite potatoe boiling pan.

Hopefully Peter Jackson's ego has ballooned to the point that he won't deign to be involved with this.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The Silmarillion was a pretty fucking boring book. Maybe it was just the manner in which it was told or that it had 0 relatable characters. There'd have to be some serious creative licensing going on to make an interesting Silimarillion movie.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Your mileage may vary. The first time I read the Silmarillion it was like reading a phone book of Middle Earth because it's seemingly just a bunch of names assorted to unclear actions and every character has multiple names in various languages or depending on which era it is happening.. but after all these years and reading through it multiple times, there are some genuinely awesome parts to it too. The Fall of Numenor, the creation of Arda by Illuvatar, the Darkening of Valinor, everything involving Morgoth, Ungoliant, etc... that would make for some pretty epic visuals, but I can't see an actual proper story being written for a movie for this kind of book. It's my definition of unfilmable, at least in the current movie format and how you need to make a movie for it to be a success.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Your mileage may vary. The first time I read the Silmarillion it was like reading a phone book of Middle Earth because it's seemingly just a bunch of names assorted to unclear actions and every character has multiple names in various languages or depending on which era it is happening.. but after all these years and reading through it multiple times, there are some genuinely awesome parts to it too. The Fall of Numenor, the creation of Arda by Illuvatar, the Darkening of Valinor, everything involving Morgoth, Ungoliant, etc... that would make for some pretty epic visuals, but I can't see an actual proper story being written for a movie for this kind of book. It's my definition of unfilmable, at least in the current movie format and how you need to make a movie for it to be a success.

d.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are some pretty awesome wiki articles on those era's, would love to see something made that had the final fight of Morgoth & balrogs/dragons/hell spawn and shit against the world. If there is one genre/history that always gets me sucked into the worm hole of wikipedia links and offshoots its the LotR/Silm world.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Silmarillion is basically a mix of creation myth, history book and two pretty much finished stories with the Children of Hurin and Beren & Luthien. There should be a third story with Tuor which is kind of the finale to the whole thing but isn't in a very finished state.

I found the whole thing really interesting but you need to be really into your history and Lord of the Rings to get it, explains all the weird elf and wizard shit from Lord of the Rings. The histories have some awesome moments like Fingolfin vs Morgoth. If you don't want to delve too deep try getting just Children of Hurin or Beren & Luthien in a seperate book.

Children of Hurin is fucking DARK, his kids get cursed by Morgoth and accidentally destroy every kingdom they touch and then eventually each other, all while Hurin watches with cursed sight. Beren & Luthien is probably more familiar as it's basically a similar story to Aragorn & Arwen except Luthien DUELS Sauron instead of sitting at home.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Silmarillion is basically a mix of creation myth, history book and two pretty much finished stories with the Children of Hurin and Beren & Luthien. There should be a third story with Tuor which is kind of the finale to the whole thing but isn't in a very finished state.

I found the whole thing really interesting but you need to be really into your history and Lord of the Rings to get it, explains all the weird elf and wizard shit from Lord of the Rings. The histories have some awesome moments like Fingolfin vs Morgoth. If you don't want to delve too deep try getting just Children of Hurin or Beren & Luthien in a seperate book.

Children of Hurin is fucking DARK, his kids get cursed by Morgoth and accidentally destroy every kingdom they touch and then eventually each other, all while Hurin watches with cursed sight. Beren & Luthien is probably more familiar as it's basically a similar story to Aragorn & Arwen except Luthien DUELS Sauron instead of sitting at home.

Isn't one of them like incest babies and they kill the child or something weird

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Isn't one of them like instead babies and they kill the child or something weird
At the end of Children of Hurin, Turin slays a dragon but instead of a traditional happy ending, it's revealed by the dying dragon that Turin's pregnant wife is actually his amnesiac long lost sister, so she jumps off a cliff because she is carrying an abomination then he falls on his sword.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
At the end of Children of Hurin, Turin slays a dragon but instead of a traditional happy ending, it's revealed by the dying dragon that Turin's pregnant wife is actually his amnesiac long lost sister, so she jumps off a cliff because she is carrying an abomination then he falls on his sword.

Yes that's it rofl

spronk

FPS noob
They should have gone for Malazan or Commonwealth or Ringworld or Black Company or Broken Empire, LOTR is gonna be so boring compared to GOT

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah of they want something on the level of GoT they're gonna have to basically use the Middle Earth setting and make up something out of whole cloth in the GoT mold. Especially if they're setting the series in the immediate years before Fellowship. It sounds like this series has been greenlit by executives that don't understand either property.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Sounds like that fucking Aragorn prequel movie they wanted to make which was mentioned as a possible second half of Battle of Five Armies.

• 2Barf

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I wouldn't mind a LOTR series filled with sex, provided every scene was Evangeline Lily getting gangbanged.

• 2Solidarity

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a huge JRR T fan, currently reading Unfinished Tales. This TV series should basically take it from the top (bottom) and start with the creation of Middle Earth. Plenty of motion picture worthy material to cherry pick from.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it will be anthology style and they can jump around telling all the stuff that was left out mixed in with stories from the silmarion. Things like the razing of the shire.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been reading The Hobbit to my son, who is five. He loves it but there are tons of words and phrases he doesn't know, so we go over each one so he learns the words. We recently read through the riddles in the dark chapter, where Gollum considers Bilbo and wonders if he is a "tasty morsel" which of course resulted in a lot of questions from a five year old.

Next day, I hear through the grapevine that my son is busted in kindergarten for chasing after his teacher, who is 27 and cute and has probably never even heard of The Hobbit, and he kept telling her "Miss Telaxo you are a tasty morsel!"

I'm not looking forward to our first parent teacher conferences where I have to try and explain to her that I'm not teaching my five year old how to sexually harass women, honestly it is from a fantasy novel about hobbits and dwarves.

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users