The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Silmarilion next pls.
There is alot of crazy boring shit in the Silmarilion.

But there is also a metric fuckton of epic awesomeness that would translate quite well to film, stuff that isn't as familiar to most people as the Hobbit or the Fellowship. War of Wrath, Battle of Sudden Flame, Earandil striking down Ancalagon the Black, Beren and Luthien, Fingolfin dueling Morgoth, elves fighting balrogs, the list goes on. You have to assume that PJ is thinking about it, considering the mountain of money this has provided him and the studio.

Siliconemelons

There is alot of crazy boring shit in the Silmarilion.

But there is also a metric fuckton of epic awesomeness that would translate quite well to film, stuff that isn't as familiar to most people as the Hobbit or the Fellowship. War of Wrath, Battle of Sudden Flame, Earandil striking down Ancalagon the Black, Beren and Luthien, Fingolfin dueling Morgoth, elves fighting balrogs, the list goes on. You have to assume that PJ is thinking about it, considering the mountain of money this has provided him and the studio.
Yeah the rights are not going to happen any time soon- PJ was stretching the rights for the "expanded" stuff for the hobbit and used a ton of technicality's to put in stuff that really they don't hold the rights to. Like "Gandalf says he has to go do bla bla bla necromancer" in the hobbit- so we get to show all of the bla bla bla that is actually explained in a bunch of books etc. we don't hold the rights to!

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
On topof Christopher Tolkien feeling like they've bastardized his father's work:

Like many quarrels in Hollywood, the Tolkien/Warner Bros. spat can be narrowed down to an argument about money. Part of the author?s estate?s contract with the film studio said that a percentage of the profits from any adaptation of Tolkien?s work would go back to them, and it became a bit of a controversy following the release of The Lord of The Rings trilogy.The three movies made a reported $2.9 billion at the global box office, but when those box office totals were combined with project?s expenses, the studio claimed that the movie didn?t make a profit? thus reportedly shortchanging the Tolkien estate.
I'd give them a hearty "Fuck off" if I was in his shoes my own self.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
On topof Christopher Tolkien feeling like they've bastardized his father's work:

I'd give them a hearty "Fuck off" if I was in his shoes my own self.
I can't imagine any lawyer would have agreed to have him sign a contract stating he only get money based off profits, so really he has himself to blame for signing such a take it up the ass contract. I mean shit, I'm no businessman and I know you don't work for only a percentage of profits, the person you're working with/for can fudge the numbers to make it look like whatever they want.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I can't imagine any lawyer would have agreed to have him sign a contract stating he only get money based off profits, so really he has himself to blame for signing such a take it up the ass contract. I mean shit, I'm no businessman and I know you don't work for only a percentage of profits, the person you're working with/for can fudge the numbers to make it look like whatever they want.
So many people dealing with Hollywood have been screwed over on gross vs net, that I'm surprised it's still happening.

Royal

Even if he were to acknowledge that he opened himself up to a sucker punch on the contract, it doesn't mean he wouldn't hold a grudge over it.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I agree, and it's not even close. The fellowship was by far the best of all of the LOTR movies and Hobbit movies. Changing the ending of "The Two Towers" kinda soured that movie for me. Shelob belongs in TTT, not sandwiched into ROTK. And as much as I liked ROTK, it had a lot of cheese in it as well.
Shelob belonged where she was from a chronological standpoint. Remember, TTT and RoTK were split and separated into Frodo/Sam and then everyone else. When you get to Frodo's storyline in TTT the book, time goes back significantly from where you left off with the other characters and ends up well beyond where RoTK begins with Gandalf, et al. Other than the cliffhanger complaint, it's perfectly fine and makes sense. And the cliffhanger issue should be mostly moot now that one can watch the films back-to-back however one wishes to.

Royal

Didn't New Line do the same thing to Jackson?
I remember there was some sort of dispute over profits from the first trilogy that precipitated his being removed as director ofThe Hobbitfor a time. That may well have been it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Shelob could've ended up right around the end of TTT if they had cut all the bullshit Faramir stuff out.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
? They did cut all the bullshit Faramir stuff out, the ee has so much more Faramir, so much I didn't really know who Faramir was without seeing the ee.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
? They did cut all the bullshit Faramir stuff out, the ee has so much more Faramir, so much I didn't really know who Faramir was without seeing the ee.
Right, but they still added all the stuff about him taking them to Osgiliath. Jackson himself has admitted that he needed another reason to "delay" Frodo and Sam, simply because the stuff at Cirith Ungol got moved to RotK.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Just finished and certainly found parts of it to be pretty bad I think it was largely what I expected. I think the EE of the first two improved my opinion of the series so I do look forward to what they do with this one. List of gripes:

The bad
1. How can you have a roof MADE of shingles what the fuck are they attached to. Some flimsy fucking roofs in Lake town.
2. The dorf elf love shit is simply horrible
3. The comic relief of the Buscemi looking guy pulls me out of the story, evil jar jar in my hobbit
4. CGI of orcs that isnt needed I think we can get 10 extras to run past a camera in armor and have it look much better
5. CGI of Dain, wtf for
6. I think the Legolas fight scenes were the worst we've seen yet
7. giant worms
8. new stupid looking trolls (bring back the cave troll!)

The goo...the ok
1. I liked the sauron confrontation if for nothing outside of the geek in me that enjoys, who would win in a fight scenarios. Anyone could have seen this scene coming a few years ago.
2. I think Bilbo actor does a decent job
3. ...fuck it I'm struggling to come up with 3 freaking things

OK at this point in writing this post I realize this movie is quite bad, but I just love the shit out of middle earth. I wouldn't hold back on going to see it, go see it and hate it with the rest of us.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed the movie.... easily the best of the three. Here's my suggestions (Not spoiling as I do not think the storyline of The Hobbit is a major secret).

1. I felt Smaug's death was completely diminished by the rest of the story. The first 15 minutes of the movie was devoted to Smaug and it was over. What was there was pretty awesome but, it should have been the end of the second much like the Battle of Helms Deep was in TTT. Would have been a great climatic ending to the second movie instead of an afterthought of the third.
2. The elf/dwarf love was still really annoying to me and was completely out of place. I guess if you haven't read the books you tolerated this so-called love story because there's something like this in any movie. It was just stupid and pointless. Their characters were fine without this taking place.
3. Beorn need more time... for real. The eagles were BA and him jumping into battle was BA and it was like the camera man said, "Oh there's some dwarf/elf love over here... I think i'll go shoot that instead of a giant bear destroying 100's of orcs while eagles tear through the entire army." Stupid....
4. Dain was a little out of place as he looked like a WoW cinematic. He actually looks really cool and like a dwarf but the actor dwarves look nothing like him. I guess where he's part of a different clan it's cool but too different.
5. The light-hearted comedy with the deputy of lake town was awkward at best. Again, something you expect in cinematic but was oddly placed.
6. The end was a good attempt at "wrapping it up" but I thought it was choppy and they left out some crucial points. Also, was Aragorn even born when they referenced him?

The good..
1. Actors... man were some of them good. Bilbo had incredible moments. Bard was awesome as well. I still picture Thorin older. The other dwarves had great moments as well, especially Balin. Give Balin an Oscar for all three movies in my opinion. Some dwarves got seriously shafted on screen time though.
2. Fight scenes - They were just cool. You fix a couple of things such as Beorn and you have probably the best if not at least on par with original movies.
3. BA moments by BA people - The Gandalf, Lady Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman scene was actually pretty awesome. They showed their power and it was just pretty freaking cool. However, when Saruman asks to leave Sauron to him, they should have shown him making some kind of deal or whatever at the end.

I know I listed more bad than good but the bad was really overshadowed by good. My biggest gripe was putting Smaug at the beginning of the movie when it could have been a really powerful ending to the second movie.

Definitely going to see it again and really looking forward EE.

I'm going to give it a 8 out of 10 and feeling they can easily make it a 8.5 with the EE. You add some Beorn and take out the dwarf love, you have maybe a 9.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Mulligan,

Yes Aragorn was alive, had not yet met Gandalf
Saruman is not corrupted till later upon using the palantir of orthank.

I agree about smaug should have wrapped that up in previous film. Thorn was around 260 or something by this point i wish they would have shown him older but would make fight scenes maybe harder to swallow

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The Tolkien family got their money. They had to take New Line Cinema to court, but they got paid. The amount I believe is court sealed. Here's a blurb about the settlement: Christopher Tolkien, one of the author's trustees, said the lawsuit was regrettable, but the estate is "glad that this dispute has been settled on satisfactory terms that will allow The Tolkien Trust to properly pursue its charitable objectives."

I still don't see Chris allowing PJ or New Line Cinema to make any other J.R.R. film adaptations anytime soon, as he has openly admitted that PJ "eviscerated" his father's work.