The Hobbit

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Saw it in IMAX 3D. I haven't read the source material so it was entertaining to me. I don't recall checking my watch either so that's a plus as well. My only complaint would be about IMAX 3D. This was my first time seeing a movie in IMAX 3D and I just hated it. If you don't have optimal seating or keep your head in one position the screen starts to blur out. Never again
frown.png

frown.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm not a fan of 3D at all until they figure out a way to do it without glasses(which apparently a few companies have, the tech just isn't on the market yet). I don't want to wear glasses to watch a movie, and I sure as hell am not going to wear glasses to watch TV at home. I saw it in IMAX 3D(non-HFR) also, and while it looked cool for the sake of just providing depth to some scenes, like the goblin lair, the glasses annoyed me quite a bit.

I'd like to go back and see the HFR version, but is it only 3D?

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
I'm not a fan of 3D at all until they figure out a way to do it without glasses(which apparently a few companies have, the tech just isn't on the market yet). I don't want to wear glasses to watch a movie, and I sure as hell am not going to wear glasses to watch TV at home. I saw it in IMAX 3D(non-HFR) also, and while it looked cool for the sake of just providing depth to some scenes, like the goblin lair, the glasses annoyed me quite a bit.

I'd like to go back and see the HFR version, but is it only 3D?
Ya. It is only in 3D. I've seen both now, and I couldn't tell a difference outside of scenes with a lot of movement; it looked really good in those scenes. I would need a side-by-side comparison spoon fed to me to really tell a difference.

Bane_sl

shitlord
Wait the HFR is only 3D? I thought they had non-3D 48FPS versions out there? That's upsetting to me. I wanted to see it again, but can't stand the 3D.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wait the HFR is only 3D? I thought they had non-3D 48FPS versions out there? That's upsetting to me. I wanted to see it again, but can't stand the 3D.
There isn't a 48FPS 2D version. It's only in 3D sadly.

HUH_sl

shitlord
It was okay. I watched it at 24fps/No 3D.

Stretching the book over 3 movies and 9 hours didn't help it. It felt like I was watching the special edition re-release 'with and hour of extra footage!' The best edition of these movies will probably end up being a fan edit cutting all three films down into a single 3 to 4 hour movie.

I just cracked up IRL thinking about the riddle part. Not sure what is so funny about, "What is in my pocket?" but I find it hilarious. Was that in the book as well?

Siliconemelons

yup, Bilbo always wanting someone to poke around in his pocket.

one thing that for whatever reason during that part stood out to me each time I read the book was where Bilbo jumped through a pass and almost cracked his head on a low ledge, wonder if that detail made it in.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I just cracked up IRL thinking about the riddle part. Not sure what is so funny about, "What is in my pocket?" but I find it hilarious. Was that in the book as well?
It was but it was delivered differently. Bilbo got bailed out a couple of times by luck and Golem's agitated state. In the book, he had forgotten about the ring and when he put his hand in his pocket he just wondered out loud "What have I got in my pocket?" and Golem took it to be Bilbo's riddle.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
It was but it was delivered differently. Bilbo got bailed out a couple of times by luck and Golem's agitated state. In the book, he had forgotten about the ring and when he put his hand in his pocket he just wondered out loud "What have I got in my pocket?" and Golem took it to be Bilbo's riddle.
Which is precisely how it happens in the movie too, he wonders out loud what is in his pocket and when he sees Gollum caught on that he repeats it as the riddle.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
just saw it tonight. thought it was outstanding. that was actually the first time i've ever seen a 3D movie (refused to go see dances with wolves i mean avatar) and thought it was pretty amazing. i agree with some of you that i think it's a reach to try and string this out into 3 movies. i honestly think 1 four and a half hour movie could have been spectacular. it seems like they're adding a lot of filler into the movies that wasn't in the book (which i don't really care for or think is necessary. it just feels like fluff) i also don't understand why they just didn't use ian holm as bilbo for the movie. he's a better actor than the guy they used and when ghandalf sees bilbo in "the fellowship of the ring" he says "you haven't aged a day." so obviously he's supposed to look the same as he did on their adventure. other than that, i could have used less of the forced humor in the movie. i honestly don't know why it's in there. even if some of it was in the book, think it would have served the movie better to not have it in the film. still think it was great. probably give it an 8 out of 10. not as epic as the fellowship, but i think on par with "the two towers" and "the return of the king."

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fiance wants to see it again, can't decide between HFR or Imax 3d. Never seen a movie in either format, what would be best considering we've already seen it once?

Phalanx

Silver Knight of the Realm
I saw it in IMAX 3D and wish I could have seen it in HFR.

Might as well try to see it as the "director intended".

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm, no HFR theaters in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, or South Dakota. Guess it will be a while before I check that out.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from this. Saw it in 3D.

I read a few reviews beforehand (read the books already so not afraid of spoilers), and got concerned when so many mentioned that they thought it was artificially long.

After watching it, I am safely back to where I was, with a firm belief that movie reviewers are all tards and I should never worry about what they say. Should it just be a long fighting movie then, or chase scenes? No talking, no story, no songs. Just some orc shouts and a constant blue sting.

I wouldn't cut one single scene. I wanted it to be longer. I loved the opening with the old Bilbo writing as that is how fantasy started so to speak. Tolkien sitting at a desk with a blank paper, writing "in a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit". Hobbits or haflings not being something at that point made him wonder what a hobbit was, and so hobbits, elves, languages, middle earth and modern fantasy was born.

I have the same feeling now that I did at the end of The Fellowship, that it is way too long to wait a year for the next one.

Great movie. A+, will watch again. Easily one of my top 10 this year. Probably my first as I can't think of a better one of the top of my head. 3 hours went by really fast.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw the movie the other day, wanted to see it in regular and then the imax 3d later on. Agree with many of the posters, movie did not see artificially long. I looked at my watch about 2 hours in and was like fuck it's almost over, that sucks. Really liked it, thought Jackson did a great job.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Very valid complaints! In the book the stone giants were literally 1 paragraph, but in the movie they made it all these ridiculously stupid action scenes,
I feel like you could make that case for anything vaguely action-oriented in any of the books and movies. Tolkien clearly wasn't all that interested in describing action, he wanted to be describing lore. We're talking about someone who could spend a chapter on the history of Gandalf's sword, and cover the battle of Helm's Deep in two pages (talking metaphorically here); this doesn't lend itself so well to a movie, so it's hard to really blame the film makers for tweaking the focus.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I feel like you could make that case for anything vaguely action-oriented in any of the books and movies. Tolkien clearly wasn't all that interested in describing action, he wanted to be describing lore. We're talking about someone who could spend a chapter on the history of Gandalf's sword, and cover the battle of Helm's Deep in two pages (talking metaphorically here); this doesn't lend itself so well to a movie, so it's hard to really blame the film makers for tweaking the focus.
Good point. I'm not familiar with his work. I read the LOTR books once about ten years ago, and I'm about halfway through the hobbit.