The Hobbit

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Maybe giant eagles save the day on a recurring basis in their world.
It is funny that they always show up in impossible situations though. Was probably easier to just write the eagles in than explain how they get out of certain situations.

Stuck on a wizard tower? Eagle. Stuck on a volcano? Eagle. Falling off the side of a mountain? Eagle.

Malkav

French Madman
Gandalf sent the little butterfly looking thing to get the eagles. Was the same in lotr. You see that before the eagles save the day.
Well in the book he doesn't even call them. They see the fire, they come see what's up, and decide to fuck up with the goblins/wargs by helping the group.

It's not some random Eagles either. They are sentient beings and are capable of speach. They are a bit like the Ents in a way. So them helping in the Hobbit and taking a side in LOTR is not far fetched.

Too bad the conversation with the Eagle King is missing in the movie...Hoping for it in the extended version.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I didn't mind them showing up, I didn't mind Gandalf sending for them....the fact though that everyone in the party acts like it's no big deal that birds the sixes of a RV came swooping down to get them. Fuck for all they knew they were being taken to giant nests to be given to their young for breakfast.

There were no fucks given.

Again, not a HUGE deal...but it really stuck out to me for some reason.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, I didn't mind them showing up, I didn't mind Gandalf sending for them....the fact though that everyone in the party acts like it's no big deal that birds the sixes of a RV came swooping down to get them. Fuck for all they knew they were being taken to giant nests to be given to their young for breakfast.

There were no fucks given.

Again, not a HUGE deal...but it really stuck out to me for some reason.
Funny you mention it, because it's kinda like that in the book. They're just grabbed, taken to the nests, and some are wondering a bit if they'll get eaten, before everyone is brought to the Eagle King.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Funny you mention it, because it's kinda like that in the book. They're just grabbed, taken to the nests, and some are wondering a bit if they'll get eaten, before everyone is brought to the Eagle King.
See and that's how it SHOULD have went down. Now it bothers me even more that they left something so minor yet something that makes that much sense out.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
See and that's how it SHOULD have went down. Now it bothers me even more that they left something so minor yet something that makes that much sense out.
if i were the eagles, i'd be pretty pissed that i didn't even get a thank you....

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No shit right? That's probably why they left so quick. "Fuck these guys, they never even said a word to us the whole way here."

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Jackson downgrading the eagles in LoTR pretty much set them up for the same treatment in The Hobbit.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
It is funny that they always show up in impossible situations though. Was probably easier to just write the eagles in than explain how they get out of certain situations.

Stuck on a wizard tower? Eagle. Stuck on a volcano? Eagle. Falling off the side of a mountain? Eagle.
Just like American intervention in World War 1 and 2. The eagle came in and saved the day.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Thought it was excellent and loved HFR. My eyes took about ~30 seconds to adjust and then it felt so perfect.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
also can anyone explain why Gandalf doesn't use his giant bird army at all times? seems like it would make his crazy quests a lot easier.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I seen't it. Was OK, too much Jar Jar level shit in some of the scenes, but I was warned about the more kiddie shit beforehand.

Man, didn't realize how much I missed Smeagol til he showed up.

Bane_sl

shitlord
also can anyone explain why Gandalf doesn't use his giant bird army at all times? seems like it would make his crazy quests a lot easier.
It's been years but I seem to recall them as if they could only be summoned in the most direst of situations. Sort of like how Gandalf can't use his wizarding powers unless its truly called for.

Bane_sl

shitlord
I want to see this in HFR.

yFsGU.gif