The Hobbit

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It has occurred to me that this movie makes sense if you look at from a DnD perspective. It just shows a weak DM trying to get eleven level 1 dwarfs one level 1 hobbit a level seven head dwarf and and a high level wizard ready to fight a dragon. Gandalf and Dwarf king are NPC under GM control.

Trolls and there horde were just a exp stop to level and gear them up but haven't trained yet so all but two are level one.

Rhadgast is just a random ecounter table roll.

Have to run from Orcs and Worgs because they don't have the HP to fight then.

Stop in Rivendale to train most Dwarfs hit level two Bilbo hits level three because of fast leveling thief exp.

Storm/Rock giants are just a horrible roll on a random encounter chart.

Goblin Town is just a exp grind for the Dwarfs to level up on. Bilbo is wracking up magical item exp for finding the one ring on his side quest.

They all leave goblin town with enough exp to be level five, Dwarf king has enough for level eight but they haven't trained again.

Orc Worgs again it's a fairly close fight now but odds favor bad guys until twelve of fourteen members of party have trained up to level five.

Eagles come in a dues ex machina to stop adventure from coming to a abrupt end.

Next movie dwarfs will train up and start as level five swinging all those +5 weapons they got from trolls Monty Hall treasure cash.

See it all makes perfect sense its just a noob GM making standard noob GM mistakes.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
/wrist

Maybe you all should just acknowledge that Jackson made exactly the movie he intended to make. A Family movie with the source material being a kids book.

You can want it to be different, but that doesn't change the fact that he was largely true to the source material. LoTR's and The Hobbit are different stories, for different audiences.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Uh, hello. That's the whole point of the book.
uh, hello. my entire point is that this was the point of the book. the book was not meant to be funny. everyone keeps saying "it's a kids book" over and over as if "the hobbit" is supposed to be on the same level as "goodnight moon." i put "the hobbit" as a kids book about at the same level as "treasure island" and you know what, lots of people were murdered in that book and it ain't funny. christ, some of you people act like "the hobbit" is supposed to be "the three stooges." i'm seriously beginning to wonder if most of you ever read "the hobbit" because there really aren't that many funny parts in the book.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What a whining bitch Christopher Tolkien is. Poor guy just had to become fabulously wealthy off of his father's work and then decided to sell it to a movie maker and then act like he was raped when the movie made him tons more money for doing jack shit. Fuck him in his 88 year old ass.

Golt_sl

shitlord
What a whining bitch Christopher Tolkien is. Poor guy just had to become fabulously wealthy off of his father's work and then decided to sell it to a movie maker and then act like he was raped when the movie made him tons more money for doing jack shit. Fuck him in his 88 year old ass.
You miss the part where the Studio tried to fuck him out of paying any of the %'s they agreed upon because they were pretending the entire LOTR series WASNT profitable? If you wouldn't be bitter over that fact alone you're fucking retarded

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
You miss the part where the Studio tried to fuck him out of paying any of the %'s they agreed upon because they were pretending the entire LOTR series WASNT profitable? If you wouldn't be bitter over that fact alone you're fucking retarded
Not saying he shouldn't bitch about it, but isn't that pretty much par for the course in the industry? Wasn't it the dude who played Darth Vader who never got paid at all because apparently Star Wars "wasn't profitable" ?

Golt_sl

shitlord
Not saying he shouldn't bitch about it, but isn't that pretty much par for the course in the industry? Wasn't it the dude who played Darth Vader who never got paid at all because apparently Star Wars "wasn't profitable" ?
No idea about the Darth Vader part, it seems hard to believe that his pay was contingent on the profitability of the movies.. usually actors - i'd think especially one that basically is in a costume not even doing a voice, probably just gets paid w/out any kind of incentives like %'s of movies profits. The enormity of trying to say any of the LOTR movies weren't profitable is probably on the same scale as the Star Wars films. If that is true, it's also extremely shameful.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
From what I've heard just about any type of publishing or entertainment the standard procedure is to just not pay anyone any residuals until they at least threaten legal action and then pretend you have never made any money on the project.

Xalara

Golden Squire
You should probably read up on the history of the whole thing before making claims about Christopher Tolkien. He didn't sell the rights, JRR Tolkien sold the rights to help pay for some kind of fund for his children before he died. That said, I will agree that he is whining a bit much, especially since AFAIK the estate was pretty poor right before the LotR trilogy was made.

Beyond that I actually do believe The Hobbit followed the source material fairly closely. This is a fairly good argument for that:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephe...b_2399998.htmlNow, not to say the movie doesn't have issues, but I'd say the issues it does have are on the same level as Fellowship of the Ring with everyone loves. At the very least the movie isn't even close to being a failure.

sabiz_sl

shitlord
/wrist

Maybe you all should just acknowledge that Jackson made exactly the movie he intended to make. A Family movie with the source material being a kids book.

You can want it to be different, but that doesn't change the fact that he was largely true to the source material. LoTR's and The Hobbit are different stories, for different audiences.
Fight has it right. We can all get excited but the target audience is more child orientated.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, and given the source material I find that appropriate. In a few years I can see this being one of my daughters favorite movies, and I can get down with that a lot easier than some of the other kid targeted shit.

meddle_sl

shitlord
As for the movie, a contract? really? I thought the beginning was stupid, but I never read the book so maybe there are legal contracts.
Yes, really- there is a contract in the book. If you can spare three hours to watch the movie, I really recommend reading the book. It is a far, far more rewarding experience.

NeverlosT

Golden Knight of the Realm
agreed. Read the book first quickly then saw the movie. The movie dragged out unnecessary parts and eliminated other important parts entirely. Then again, it could have all been fit into one great 3 hour piece, but profits don't allow for that kind of sensibility these days.