The Hobbit

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Could someone spoiler whereabouts in the book this next one leaves off? I'm forcing my girlfriend to read The Hobbit for the first time but she is slow as fuck in reading it (might be illiterate) and I want to go see this but I want to know about where she should be in the book without spoiling it too much.

Arakkis

N00b
Could someone spoiler whereabouts in the book this next one leaves off? I'm forcing my girlfriend to read The Hobbit for the first time but she is slow as fuck in reading it (might be illiterate) and I want to go see this but I want to know about where she should be in the book without spoiling it too much.
You sound like a real fucking gem yourself.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Could someone spoiler whereabouts in the book this next one leaves off? I'm forcing my girlfriend to read The Hobbit for the first time but she is slow as fuck in reading it(might be illiterate)and I want to go see this but I want to know about where she should be in the book without spoiling it too much.
Quote for posterity.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And all of that is completely removed from the movie.
Actually I just finished watching a second time just a few minutes ago off a DVD Screener. This was nearly exactly verbatim what happened in the Smaug / Bilbo dialogue. He asks where he is from and he doesnt recognize the scent. Bilbo makes up titles and said he "came from underhill and traveled overhill and over air to get here", etc. Smaug does eventually blame the people of lake town for sending him and vows to destroy them. Soon after, the dwarves enter.

*Edit* And that's me being a dumbass and not noticing 2 additional pages in the thread. At least someone else pointed out Dumar is a bigger dumbass.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Something I am curious about in both these trilogies: Gandalf's magically reappearing staff!

Return of the King (movie version): Gandalf stands off to the Witch King who merely glances at him and shatters Gandalf's staff into pieces. Fast forward to the end of RoTK and everyone leaving Middle Earth and there's Gandalf with his white staff once again.

Desolation of Smaug: Gandalf standing off to Sauron and his staff is disintegrated. (Obviously, he will regain it later at some point to continue with the rest of the story)

Is there any explanation to this?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Something I am curious about in both these trilogies: Gandalf's magically reappearing staff!

Return of the King (movie version): Gandalf stands off to the Witch King who merely glances at him and shatters Gandalf's staff into pieces. Fast forward to the end of RoTK and everyone leaving Middle Earth and there's Gandalf with his white staff once again.

Desolation of Smaug: Gandalf standing off to Sauron and his staff is disintegrated. (Obviously, he will regain it later at some point to continue with the rest of the story)

Since there is no explanation for how a staff is created, I will go out on a limb and say....................magic.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I had posted before that it was odd that so many people had posted positive reviews. I guess they were just hiding for awhile. I agree though (and I assure you that I am a fan of the books and sensitive to the integrity of the story) these movies are pretty well done. I think you have to at least imagine what it would take to make the movie visually appealing when porting from a book. The book as some pretty dry parts that just wouldn't do well and I think Jackson nods to a lot of them. In my review, I will stick to the negatives being preferences that really do not hurt the movie but they were annoyances none the less. The first Hobbit was ok to me but I was satisfied with it being the starting point and knowing that there was more to come. I didn't judge it as I would a stand alone movie. Just as I didn't the others. Honestly, I not near the fan of Fellowship as a movie alone as I am the other two parts but, in context I think it is a very good chapter to a movie-based story if you will.

Everyone has their taste and opinion... that's completely cool but I guess I feel about the same way as I do when people say "Lebron James sucks..." You may not like him, maybe even hate him but he's arguably one of the best skilled players we've seen in years. Anyway, I'm more confident saying after Hobbit DoS, that as a fan of the book, how can you be too dissatisfied? It's really all about getting to see Smaug right? That's the only major visualization anyone and everyone who has read the Hobbit would ever want to know/see and they delivered. Everything else, goblins, dwarves, etc. all have a lot of artistic freedom but the real measuring stick was Smaug and that was awesome.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I had posted before that it was odd that so many people had posted positive reviews. I guess they were just hiding for awhile. I agree though (and I assure you that I am a fan of the books and sensitive to the integrity of the story) these movies are pretty well done. I think you have to at least imagine what it would take to make the movie visually appealing when porting from a book. The book as some pretty dry parts that just wouldn't do well and I think Jackson nods to a lot of them. In my review, I will stick to the negatives being preferences that really do not hurt the movie but they were annoyances none the less. The first Hobbit was ok to me but I was satisfied with it being the starting point and knowing that there was more to come. I didn't judge it as I would a stand alone movie. Just as I didn't the others. Honestly, I not near the fan of Fellowship as a movie alone as I am the other two parts but, in context I think it is a very good chapter to a movie-based story if you will.

Everyone has their taste and opinion... that's completely cool but I guess I feel about the same way as I do when people say "Lebron James sucks..." You may not like him, maybe even hate him but he's arguably one of the best skilled players we've seen in years. Anyway, I'm more confident saying after Hobbit DoS, that as a fan of the book, how can you be too dissatisfied? It's really all about getting to see Smaug right? That's the only major visualization anyone and everyone who has read the Hobbit would ever want to know/see and they delivered. Everything else, goblins, dwarves, etc. all have a lot of artistic freedom but the real measuring stick was Smaug and that was awesome.
so you think the movie was good just because they had the exact same special effects in a movie that jurassic park had 20 years prior. interesting...

Neph_sl

shitlord
Throw me in with the people who enjoyed the movie. After the first Hobbit, what did people expect? PJ is taking liberties with the story and giving us a watchable movie. There isn't enough going on in the novel to make a movie out of, so I loved the new additions of Legolas being a badass and the dwarves actually fighting for their home. Kili / Tauriel was a little awkward, but I give it a pass because Evangeline Lilly pulled off being a badass she-Legolas.

Also, I grinned like an idiot when Thranduil flicked the blood off his sword and sheathed it like a boss.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

The wizard are actually angels, guess what Sauron is? A fallen angel...hrmm.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I actually got bored during the endless barrel chase, laketown politics and gold statue making bullshit not advancing the plot.

In Lord of the Rings I WANTED the extended version, for this I want a truncated version.

Phalanx

Silver Knight of the Realm

I don't know where he sources is staves, but in the commentary of the An Unexpected Journey, they mention as an easter egg/hint/whatever that the staff he starts out with is different than the one he starts out with in the Fellowship of the Ring.

Also, I tend to agree with the 'a wizard did it' explanation. If it ever fit...

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know where he sources is staves, but in the commentary of the An Unexpected Journey, they mention as an easter egg/hint/whatever that the staff he starts out with is different than the one he starts out with in the Fellowship of the Ring.

Also, I tend to agree with the 'a wizard did it' explanation. If it ever fit...
IIRC, His staff appearance changed anyway post-Balrog fight when he became Gandalf the White. That would explain the difference between fellowship and RoTK. However, this does not explain how he re-aquired the white staff post shattering by the Witch King.

It's just something I thought about after watching Desolation of Smaug last night and saw his staff disintegrate as he was battling Sauron.

Perhaps Gandalf enjoys woodwork in his spare time? Fuck knows...

spronk

FPS noob
utgwCAt.jpg