The Hobbit

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think they really missed the mark on riddles in the dark. I felt that scene was more dark/scary than portrayed here, which is more like a comedy dialogue almost.
That's pretty disappointing. Bilbo finding the ring is bar none the most important event in The Hobbit. Gollum was supposed to be a murderer who was making up his mind whether to eat Bilbo now or later.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Highlights for me: Opening scene with Smaug fuckin' errybody up, and The Riddle.

For damn near 3 hours, you'd expect the plot to move along a little more than it did. Bilbo being accepting by Thorin feels semi-forced, there wasn't any real animosity to begin with between them.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That's pretty disappointing. Bilbo finding the ring is bar none the most important event in The Hobbit. Gollum was supposed to be a murderer who was making up his mind whether to eat Bilbo now or later.
I thought it was well done.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This movie was ok. It had some lulls and I couldn't wait for the movie to end.

I liked the 48fps and Hollywood has some adjusting to do. The 3D is a total waste and honestly a non-factor. 48FPS and 2D would have been great!

The Tolkien stories just don't age well in the wake of the more complicated stories from Martin and Erickson. I'll get some hate regarding those remarks but it's true.

Plot hole?

Why don't those damn birds just carry them all the way to Lonely Mountain.

Why can't Gandalf blow back all those wolves and shit at end like he did in the mine? All I kept thinking was if Quick Ben was there he would have raped faced and show Gandalf how it's done.

Siliconemelons

I liked the 48fps and Hollywood has some adjusting to do. The 3D is a total waste and honestly a non-factor. 48FPS and 2D would have been great!

The Tolkien stories just don't age well in the wake of the more complicated stories from Martin and Erickson. I'll get some hate regarding those remarks but it's true.

Plot hole?

Why can't Gandalf blow back all those wolves and shit at end like he did in the mine? All I kept thinking was if Quick Ben was there he would have raped faced and show Gandalf how it's done.
the damn birds could have won both this and lotr lol

Faiona_sl

shitlord

Plot hole?

Answer to your plot hole.
In the book its because men of the area don't like them and try to shoot them with bows and arrows because they steal their sheep. So in the book they took them as far as they could go without endangering themselves.

I saw the movie today and actually liked it a lot. I do wish they he would have tried to not change things so much when it came to certain events, but overall it was great. I also really loved the scenes with Radagast the Brown. Does anyone actually know if Beorn is going to be in the second movie or not?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have not been following any of the info on this movie, so I was honestly surprised that this was 1 of 3. I thought it was a good movie, definitely looking forward to 2 & 3.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
So just got back from seeing the movie. Was in 3D, but I don't believe it was HFR.

Anyways here are my pros and cons for any interested:
Pros
Amazing locations as per the pristine New Zealand landscape.
Pretty Cool Visuals, there were a few stand out moments.
Excellent Score, The song the dwarves sing in the beginning helped set the mood for starting out.
Did a great job with casting, costumes, props, and all of the things needed to make the characters look the part.

Cons
Pacing got knocked off pretty badly by some of the added material imo.

There was too much action. I know that makes me sound old a stuffy but I think the movie could have benefited greatly if the action had been toned down leading up to Rivendale. The troll fight scene should never have happened. And Anok the Defiler and his scout wargs chasing the dwarves into Rivendale really robbed them of the one good opportunity to flesh out the character of the dwarves and let Bilbo connect with them. Having them open up to him after he saves them from the trolls would have given more weight to the bond they are forming.

As it was the dawrves were used for little more than comic relief, or as bodies flying around in the action sequences, and given very few lines of memorable dialogue.

I would have liked to have seen a gradual increase and ratcheting of the action and danger as the movie progressed, culminating with the goblin king and warg chase. Some more foreshadowing of golum and the rings connection to the evil forces being awoken in the world may have helped as well.

And as far as the riddles in the dark scene goes. I though it was one of the better scenes in the movie, mostly because they stuck a lot closer to the original dialogue, but the scene felt too bright. I understand that having a 10 minute dialogue in complete darkness would have been foolishness but as it was the underground lake looked like it had floodlights trained on it. Also, golum could have been portrayed to be a lot scarier if they had simply kept him in the shadows a bit more. Limit the light sources to just Sting with gleaming wet rocks and reflections in the water. Then having golum dart in and out of the periphery of the light pool, with a fixed camera, would have been a really cool shot. But really, that is some hardcore nitpicking.

So yeah, biggest gripes would be weak dialogue save for a few decent lines, lack of real characterization of the dwarves, lack of solid exchanges between the dwarves and Bilbo (save at the end of the film. But by then it feels a bit forced as the relationship among the party members hadn't received enough screen time to feel solid), and too much action for the sake of constantly pushing the party forward.

That being said, I pretty much expected all that going in, so I wasn't disappointed really. Peter Jackson really is treating the Hobbit like he Treated the LoTR and is feeling the need to enhance the story as he fears it would not produce a solid movie going experience standing on it's own. I personally don't agree with him to the extent that he has taken it, but I will line up to see the next installments as all in all this was still a good movie.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I loved the Lord of the Rings movies, and obviously am a fan of this book, so the story was great, I enjoyed the parts he added, and I was completely fine even with the fact that he's going to make 3 movies out of it. I will enjoy every single bit of story I'm pretty sure.

That being said, HFR (3D too, but 3D doesn't bother me) is not for me. It ruined the movie for me pretty much. I won't belabor the point, but the only times it didn't really bother me were panoramic landscape shots and the elven stuff. The elves looked dead on perfect for the most part. Galadriel looked ethereal and otherworldly and exactly like I wanted her to look. I didn't like the orcs, goblins, trolls, worgs, or dwarves (except for Thorin and the two brothers, who weren't really made up at all) because it just made them look fake to me. And the action scenes just didn't look right at all either.

I realize this is a problem with me and not the movie, so take that into consideration. Whether it is my brain, or eyes, or just being used to the old way, I couldn't get past it. The movie was pretty much everything I would have wanted it to be...except for the framerate thing. I doubt I'll see this one again until it comes out on bluray, but I expect I'll see the next two in the lower framerate and probably love them.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Glad to hear the 7th Doctor did a great job as Radagast
smile.png

Seeing this tomorrow morning 48fps 3d

smile.png

smile.png

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Enjoyed it. I adjusted to the increased FPS in about 2 minutes, so no issue. And my wife who usually has trouble with the 3D, had zero problems this time around. Not sure if that was due to the FPS or not, we could have just gotten lucky.

Things I didn't like:

-Troll Scene
-Radaghast running around like an idiot in circles with his stupid rabbit drawn sled.
-The Mountain Giant sequence.
-Just the abundance of obstacle course falling/swinging action sequences.

Still good though, I just think Peter Jackson needs to just cut back on that shit.

Things I particularly liked

-All the Dwarves, but Thorin specifically, he is very kingly and authoritative.
-Gandalf reveals that his reason behind helping the Dwarves is a long term strategy to eliminate Smaug as a potential asset for the Dark Lord if he were ever to return.
-I really like how prominent Jackson makes Galadriel across all the films compared to her low representation in the books.

Phalanx

Silver Knight of the Realm
You mean Figwit!

Also, saw it tonight, non-HFR IMAX 3D and enjoyed it a ton. REALLY wish I had an HFR-capable theater in town.

Thoughts:

1. Liked Radagast as a character. Hated the rabbit sled chase. Honestly the first thing I associated it with was "pod racing" and anything that reminds me of that dumpster fire of a film is bad. Bad, bad, bad.

2. Didn't like very much about the Goblin King section. Especially the end where they're busting out...it felt like a more silly (for lack of a better word, I guess) version of the escape from Moria from FOTR, just without the more epic music and gangster ass standoff with the Balrog. Trying to replicate it with the funny looking Goblin King and his cockney accent or whatever was actually cringe inducing...like you could tell they wanted you to think of Gandalf vs. Balrog, only this time it was corny and stupid.

3. Liked the Riddle scene. There were comic relief parts that I guess people don't like, but the Smeagol personality was funny and cracked jokes in the LOTR trilogy, too. The "taters" scene, etc. Worst thing about it - probably the last time Andy Serkis is on the big screen playing Gollum.

4. Maybe it was the hairstyle and his forehead, but I could not stop fucking thinking "Klingon" when Thorin was like directly looking at the camera. Happened like 3 goddamn times...I dunno.

Salacious_sl

shitlord
I'm getting pissed off at the entire industry's business model.

2D
3D
3D HFR
3D Imax
3D Imax HFR
There are also two more options for sound.

3D Imax HFR wasn't available in my area, only 3D HFR. Well that's great, but if you chose 48fps then you didn't get to see the 9 min Star Trek Preview, which was amazing by the way. I missed out on the 3D HFR (48fps), so can't comment on the difference.

I felt the beginning dragged it's ass a bit too much, mostly the Frodo and Bilbo parts. Frodo and old Bilbo seemed out of place to me overall, probably because of the drastic age difference since LotR. This is odd since Elrond and Galadriel's scenes were spot on. Both of them must be drinking the same water Keanu Reeves drinks.

The backstory of Smaug taking Erebor was awesome, and really gives me hope for the next two movies. There was an awful lot of ridiculous shield surfing in this movie. The entire wooden platform scene pissed me off. I don't recall the mountain giants in the novel at all, that entire sequence was way too over the top. The trolls didn't bother me, they were ridiculous bickering tards in the book so were portrayed accurately.

Radaghast discovering the necromancer was awesome. The fight flashback of Moria's gate was awesome. Lots of the humor hit right on the mark. I really liked how Saruman was down playing Smaug, while Gandalf confided to Galadriel.

Can't wait for Beorn, Mirkwood, Dale, Smaug, etc.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Two of the things all 5 of the Wizards were told prior to their coming over to Middle-earth from Valinor was that they were not allowed to match Sauron's power with power, or dominate the races of Middle-earth. True, Gandalf does tend to bend the rules at times and pulls some simplistic magic out of his ass to save the day. Roughly what I mean is, going all Quick Ben gets the attention of the gods, who will demote your ass for breaking the rules openly - hence, Saruman being a dick in LOTR and Gandalf coming back with a promotion to 'the White'.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Did anyone see it in NON 3D? What's the reaction? I'm going to see it again in regular format this weekend.
It was fine. Motion blur was a little noticeable for the first 20 minutes but after that it wasn't any different.

Good movie, a little cartoony at times but overall enjoyable. Not sure where all the bad reviews were coming from.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I don't recall the mountain giants in the novel at all, that entire sequence was way too over the top
Pretty sure they were in the book, only just were just hanging out, throwing rocks at each other like assholes and causing shit to fall around the company.