Poet Warrior
<Donor>
yHVPxnu.jpg

8SdixhX.jpg

Dt1JaPD.jpg

A species of rhododendron?

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Turns out I was needlessly worried about not enough sun for my dahlias as they are blooming fully and there are plenty of buds. It looks a bit haphazard because I screwed up when planting the bulbs. I thought the oblong parts hanging from the bulbs had to be separated and planted - rookie mistake. I tried to fix it later, so I ended up with uneven growth. I ended up staking the plant with the drooping flower. The plant in half shade lower right is a bear's breech I'm trying to get going.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
My best rose.

Rose #1

qDNXvQr.jpg

Rose #2

35wEz21.jpg

Different Rose #1

CbFbJ0R.jpg

White Rose that magically opened this year from inside a cluster of red shoots, cut back all the red shoots to give it maximum sun power, its now leaning on the fence because it was supported by longer red stalks.

GrteFzl.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Mock Orange, smells amazing. I think this is a many petal mutant, but I am uncertain as I have not grown many mock oranges.

Q4UDvVa.jpg

Mock Orange #2

ezAjrqJ.jpg

Mock Orange #3

F0AYeIv.jpg

• 3Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Yellow Columbine

odXIH22.jpg

Purple delphinium - was unexpected. The flower is definitely got some morphology differences to the others.

2Sk7vCa.jpg

California Poppy - You can see how they open and close with the sunlight for quite a few days.

FYBteBT.jpg

Tall Red Blanket Flower

I1eLQ7p.jpg

Love in a Mist

I2B904W.jpg

Catmint

tJIT9c4.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider

Thanks.

To answer your question about bugs, they are there no matter what, it really is about catching it semi early before its everywhere. You can pull/trim/cut any dead parts of your plant out of the arrangement, I find they act like bug houses and they are already lost to us.

Here is a link.

A Dozen Homemade Organic Garden Remedies

1. Organic Oil Soap Pesticide Spray

1 tsp liquid castile soap or natural dishwashing liquid

2 tsp vegetable oil

Add oil and soap to a spray bottle and fill with water. Shake well before each use. Spray the oil soap directly on unwanted pests. The spray smothers them so they need to be as coated as possible.

You can add garlic to your oil soap spray which will help deter pests as well as smother them. Soak 12 cloves of chopped/crushed garlic in vegetable oil for 24 hours. Strain and add in place of regular vegetable oil in recipe. Hint: Planting garlic and onion in your garden repels pests as well.

We have had success with a quart sprayer, a tsp of (organic) soap, a tsp of baking soda, and 6 drops of mint oil (cold pressed organic mint oil). I feel weird giving this advice its hard to verify and makes you seem a little nuts.
This works well for flying bugs, diatomaceous earth for crawling bugs. Be a bit respectful of the bee's, the mint seems to be a deterrent. You can coat a plant you think is in danger, and spray the bug colonies directly.

There are a lot of high powered pesticides for flowers if you just need to keep things alive, but we try to not spray a bunch of nasty shit in the yard. Sometimes you'll find a pest that what you're doing just doesn't work well on. Learning to observe your plants consistently is probably the more important skill to avoid infestation rather than what you actually use to eradicate them once you find them.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I started Pitcher plant seeds today. They are a carnivorous bog plant where some species grow large enough to catch small birds!

DLRdPP9.jpg

While I am on the topic of seeds, my cyclamen produced 2 new seed pods.

HVqU4Vh.jpg

I have noticed that the stems of seed pods have a red pigment that makes them distinct from the leaf stems.

kvzGu2m.jpg

• 3Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I found some wild strawberries in my yard today, the ants have built their mounds around several of these clusters.

yJJcg30.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
The jade plant I cut back last year is doing very well, I look forward to watching it grow over the season.

Jol34og.jpg

dljA1v6.jpg

Peperomia

L0xk6kw.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My Desert Rose is enjoying the heat and mass quantity of sunlight so I decided to take a few photos.

83FcLX3.jpg

wAHhxmP.jpg

I added a small statue of two people to give the plant some scale.

osIbI55.jpg

I am very proud of this picture in particular.

Bb6ytUL.jpg

• 4Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Although the season has started out well, I have had some issues including this Crassula tetragona.

1l265Yy.jpg

If you have seen pictures of this guy earlier he had tons of leaves and now there are barely any. I have tried different levels of sun ans watering schedules but I cant get this plant to thrive.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The desert rose is super rad.

Gerbil, for your lily loving heart. The first deep red opened today. It only has 4 petals, it has spots, and a soft hue of orange deep in the cup. I'm not sure who this guys parents are. But it seems like a mutant that had a red parent and an orange with spots parent. Will be interesting to see if all the others are 4 petal or not.

Lily #1

Hu03PDt.jpg

Lily #2

j8WOnfo.jpg

• 4Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Butterfly I caught today.

HlP0OYv.jpg

This is the peony seed pods, some have 2 3 or 4 of these growths. I am not sure what determines this and haven't worked to look it up, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

yUEejMJ.jpg

• 3Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Fruit, One of the first turned raspberries, and some shots of my cherry tree. Will be ready soon, they are very close.

Cherry #1

Q4Sp59Z.jpg

Cherry #2

s13UN39.jpg

Cherry #3

aJuw7E1.jpg

Cherry #4

cChzjPj.jpg

Raspberry

SbhH71V.jpg

• 4Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Total garden noob, i've never planted shit besides 4th grade water potato. getting a house front and backyard, too many projects to do, but i figure a compost bin is the easiest one? (not to mention cool and hippie/green cred, i guess)

but like what can i use it for? i cook enough that i'll have waste, if you visit the coffee thread, i got lbs of coffee grinds (btw you can use coffee grinds to fend off ants, haven't had ants for more than a day if i see them invade the window sill i throw a trench line of coffee grinds and they don't come back)

do you guys do this? can i use this stuff for lawn or is it just for garden, and for garden would it just be for pretty flowers or like a veggie garden i can eat shit with?