The House Plants Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I figured that the pooling water was cuz the weeds, impeding flow? In any event it was 5 buckets of weeds, to the point that I now see a significant dip in the trench, so I'll have to regrade and slope it away, I already sloped the big bald spot, just waiting on my detaching rake to be delivered today.

Yeah for the front I want super low maintenance, heck I don't even know what looks good.

The front is south facing in zone 6a, I guess?

What do I do with all these weeds? Seems like a waste to throw em out, half the weight is the roots holding on to soil.

Currently I'm just trying out a literal wall of weeds against my way hoping it turns to mulch?

Also, can I garden now? Walmart has premade raised garden beds on sale. I don't have any type of carpentry tools, except a drywall saw, so it's not like I'm gonna building shit.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I figured that the pooling water was cuz the weeds, impeding flow? In any event it was 5 buckets of weeds, to the point that I now see a significant dip in the trench, so I'll have to regrade and slope it away, I already sloped the big bald spot, just waiting on my detaching rake to be delivered today.

Yeah for the front I want super low maintenance, heck I don't even know what looks good.

The front is south facing in zone 6a, I guess?

What do I do with all these weeds? Seems like a waste to throw em out, half the weight is the roots holding on to soil.

Currently I'm just trying out a literal wall of weeds against my way hoping it turns to mulch?

Also, can I garden now? Walmart has premade raised garden beds on sale. I don't have any type of carpentry tools, except a drywall saw, so it's not like I'm gonna building shit.

As long as what you have pulled out has not produced seeds you could shake the dirt into the compost with the weeds (cut up of course).

As for planting along side the house Gerbil has great advice, I would just bring that information to the nursery and go from there. Trees are nice if you dont plant it too close to the house or septic tank.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Told the garden guy I'm a supernoob and didn't know what I was doing. He pointed me to some .50 perennials, showed me how to dig a hole plop it in and pat it down. He said it'll be good practice when I'm ready to buy a 20$ plant, that was cool.

I forgot to ask him, but do I put top soil or garden soil in that little side area? Is that considered a garden? It is connected to my sprinkler system, as a separate zone.
PHOTO_20170909_152020.jpg

Some places I dug, the soil was pretty dry, like dusty, is this dead soil?

Last edited:

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So cancer is gonna kill my dad, but I wanted to show him that I'll start gardening now (he loves his garden
He grows squash and shit like this
PHOTO_20170916_133708.jpg
)

So I just picked up a quick raised garden bed from Walmart
PHOTO_20170928_165355.jpg

I ripped up the grass underneath, and filled it with six bags of dirt alternating between soil and compost/manure.

I thought I could just drop a tomato seed in there and call it a day... Then the guy said buy this
PHOTO_20170928_170538.jpg

Guess I gotta pregrow these tomato shits before I can move them in.

My compost pile is looking pretty black now, it's been a month, I was planning on just using this compost pile for the lawn, guess it's just gonna feed my garden bed now.

I don't know what I'm asking, just tell me if I'm fucking up.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
It's too late to plant tomatoes.

Also, if you try again in spring, you're going to need to maintain them. They needs lots of water and sun and do well with lots of compost. They are vines and need a place to climb and lean so you'll need a plan for that. If they grow really well, they can collapse in on themselves if not trimmed or held upright. You'll need to try to trim the foliage about a foot or two off the ground to help prevent fungus spores from splashing up off the ground. There is a ton of stuff on YouTube when it comes to growing tomatoes.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's too late to plant tomatoes.

Also, if you try again in spring, you're going to need to maintain them. They needs lots of water and sun and do well with lots of compost. They are vines and need a place to climb and lean so you'll need a plan for that. If they grow really well, they can collapse in on themselves if not trimmed or held upright. You'll need to try to trim the foliage about a foot or two off the ground to help prevent fungus spores from splashing up off the ground. There is a ton of stuff on YouTube when it comes to growing tomatoes.

Agreed. I have a long time veggie farming buddy and he swears by the 'Topsy Turvey Tomato' style. He made his own version rather than buy the 'as seen on TV' one, but they work the same way. The hang the rot ball overhead and let the plant grow down, it keeps them off the ground, and you don't have to support them growing up.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
That's not a bad idea either. It's like your growing them as spilling hanging baskets lol!

In either case Lanx, tomato growth has to be managed somewhat. It's not a 'set it and forget it' type plant. Spider plants.... now those things defy science and can grow in a fence post with barely any water. Can't eat spider plants though....

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
That's not a bad idea either. It's like your growing them as spilling hanging baskets lol!

In either case Lanx, tomato growth has to be managed somewhat. It's not a 'set it and forget it' type plant. Spider plants.... now those things defy science and can grow in a fence post with barely any water. Can't eat spider plants though....
Dang, what's a good set and forget edible food?

DIY Topsy Turvy Tomato® Planter - One Good Thing by Jillee

I have a gondola, think that'd be cool to hang off of for next year?
PHOTO_20170914_102356.jpg

Last edited:

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Lanx...use the University Extension office to your advantage...Lawn and Garden | Douglas County

I know you are in Shawne Co, but the K-State office isn't that far and you can get lots of great advice for your particular area from them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Wherever you plant it, you'll want to know how many hours of sun that spot gets. That is a major limiting factor in what plants can go where. My Elephant Ear needs lots of sun, but if I put my Shamrock out in its spot it would fry.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Swirskii Mites year end review and analysis from a home gardener using mostly pots.

I posted about it but earlier in the year but to recap I bought some swirskii mites. These came overnight in a cylinder from Portland packed in ice packs with instructions to apply immediately upon receiving them, which I did. These are predatory and carnivorous mites that eat white flies, thrips, and aphids and do not eat plants, pets, or people. They are almost microscopic and come packed with oats and bran and you're supposed to sprinkle the oats at the base of the plants so the mites can crawl up the trunk and get to their prey that live on the undersides of leaves.

Review: The goggles, they do nothing. It is difficult to tell if these mites helped my situation at all. I suspect they did not. I think our regular neem oil sprays, hand-picking of bugs, and wiping the leaves with a wet cloth is the thing that won the war. We did win by the way. All plants appear to be free of bugs for now. The sunflower went down to some brown fungus, but not to bugs.

Analysis: I had to check 5 dealers because none of them sold individual cylinders of mites. Every place I went only sold crates of 50 or 100 cylinders to pallettes of 100 crates. I just wanted one tube but nobody sold just one. I finally found the place in Portland who did sell them individually.

I think the reason they are not sold individually is both because of the way they are grown and produced in the first place, which is to say on a strict weekly cycle. And also because I've learned they need a bit more density in order to flourish. This means that a handful of mites scattered across 10 pots on someone's front porch, is just not enough density for the population to take off and flourish and then eat all the bad-guys. This density is not found in a typical home gardener and only in commercial operations, thus, they only sell them in crates.

All in all if you are a small time pot gardener or have only a small patch of an outside garden, then I can't really recommend mites. The low-tech solutions seem to still work fine at that scale and are much cheaper. My neem oil cost me like 4 bucks, my mites cost me like 90. Mites are probably still great in large operations with dense and large growing, but at the small time scale they are not effective on the bugs and wouldn't be cost effective even if they were.

Avoid them unless you're growing on a bigger scale.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Any tree pruning advice? I bought a pole saw cuz the branches are low enough to jab me when I mow the lawn.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Also my backyard tree is big and tall and growing perpendicular branches through my power and cable lines, just leave that alone and hope for the best?

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Also my backyard tree is big and tall and growing perpendicular branches through my power and cable lines, just leave that alone and hope for the best?

In my neighborhood the power company comes along every 3 years and prunes all the trees around the power lines.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
That was the quick 2 minute version. This is the nerdy version:

This guy is great by the way. His advice seems pretty studied and solid.
Does my hedge need trimming?
(Hmm, can't find pic of hedge, will post tomorrow)