The House Plants Thread

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Mr_Bungle Mr_Bungle I think you were right about the crispy brown edges of the elephant ear. You said it might be fertilizer deposits and since then all I have done as far as fertilization is a top dressing of compost. I also water it about every 24-36 hours. As you can see, the newer bigger growth is lush and green and has no browning. I think you were right on the money with that. Thanks bruh!

You're welcome, no problem at all. I had a feeling that was the issue, in most cases less is more. Over time fertilizers build up at the bottom drainage holes and cause toxicity as well. I also find that Black Gold worm castings work great in a pinch for a nutrient boost for many plants.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Seedling Update
My Cardinal Climbers, although in a desperate need for a larger pot, has bloomed!

LejXhZz.jpg

7eyK9C3.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lantanas came back after being trimmed. Though I should have trimmed them more when I did.

vz8Dzqn.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
A few things have happened recently some good some bad. My Passion Flower bloomed for the first time this season. It is in desperate need of a new pot and soil.

XEospIE.jpg

Some berries I found walking by my house.

4xjm3zb.jpg

Now for the bad.

The Hoya plant I purchased appears to be sick. I have been pruning dying leafs off like mad. Upon removing it from the pot I realized the soil is just as moist as the day I had purchased it. I have since placed the plant in a coco liner to try and dry out the soil before I chose to either make more cuttings or divide the plants into separate clay pots.

rPYDSz1.jpg

7W7nqBe.jpg

RA2SyqV.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I was gifted with yet another orchid. This one is very impressive with two multi branched bloom spikes.

jBmxGne.jpg

The difference in vibrancy between shaded photos and pictures with sunlight is incredible
t3LhnGB.jpg

zMtyZ8q.jpg

ke0rSo5.jpg

JO2aF7U.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Japanese Painted fern with the spore producing sporangia on the underside of the leaves

F6Vq9cz.jpg

RYY9TkR.jpg

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I'm going to try composting. I bought a large plastic bin and put lawn clippings in there. Along with coffee, organic plant matter, and eggshells.

Also for weeds, do I just buy a he weed killer spray?

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So I'm going to try composting. I bought a large plastic bin and put lawn clippings in there. Along with coffee, organic plant matter, and eggshells.

Also for weeds, do I just buy a he weed killer spray?

I see no reason to buy weed spray. They are easy enough to uproot and can be added to the compost pile as long as the plant has not produced any seeds yet. The weed killer can spread into the ground water and can be extremely counter productive for maintaining a healthy compost pile.

Realistically the best way to deal with weeds is to make sure your lawn is healthy enough to prevent them in the first place. Weeds often take root in areas that are having issues with the content of the soil (low-high PH, not enough P, K or N ((phosphorus, potassium and nitrogen)). )

However for whatever reason if you desire to engage in said chemical warfare I would advise using a horticultural vinegar.

This product is safe to use around agricultural crops

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031AY1L...t=&hvlocphy=9002367&hvtargid=pla-311639442201

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I see no reason to buy weed spray. They are easy enough to uproot and can be added to the compost pile as long as the plant has not produced any seeds yet. The weed killer can spread into the ground water and can be extremely counter productive for maintaining a healthy compost pile.

Realistically the best way to deal with weeds is to make sure your lawn is healthy enough to prevent them in the first place. Weeds often take root in areas that are having issues with the content of the soil (low-high PH, not enough P, K or N ((phosphorus, potassium and nitrogen)). )

However for whatever reason if you desire to engage in said chemical warfare I would advise using a horticultural vinegar.

This product is safe to use around agricultural crops

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031AY1L...t=&hvlocphy=9002367&hvtargid=pla-311639442201
So, the reason why my neighbors are weed free and I got em is neglect from the previous guy? Lawn was like 10inches tall, neighbors were surprised my electric mower didn't die and actually did a great job. ( I have no reference, my first time).

So I just gotta pull up the weeds, wait a few weeks for my compost and spread it around?

Do I buy that drill attachment and drill up the weeds then?

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So, the reason why my neighbors are weed free and I got em is neglect from the previous guy? Lawn was like 10inches tall, neighbors were surprised my electric mower didn't die and actually did a great job. ( I have no reference, my first time).

So I just gotta pull up the weeds, wait a few weeks for my compost and spread it around?

Do I buy that drill attachment and drill up the weeds then?

About the weeds, generally speaking yes, pulling them out should do the trick. However a picture or two of the weeds and yard would really help with any further diagnostics, as would any information related to your USDA grow zone. Some weeds are more vigorous growers and can survive underground through gargantuan root systems that really put up a fight.

As for buying tools/supplies, I have had great success using a weed whacker or its beefier counterpart, a bush whacker if things get too hairy. The auger looks like a good deal but from what I have heard its utility is limited to more of a specialized digging tool.

About the compost, depending on what you have in it and in what amounts the process can take a few weeks to many months. I would recommend adding more soil and fallen leaves into the pile to increase the microorganism count in your bin. You should also be stirring the pile at least once a week, adding water whenever it is dry or whenever you add a large amount of matter to the mixture. I would also highly recommend adding as many earth worms as possible, they work wonders. Aside from decomposing the compost faster they also leave deposits of droppings that plants of all kinds benefit greatly from called "worm castings".

I am not super knowledgeable about lawns as I am more of a tropical/ indoor plant person however AngryGerbil AngryGerbil seems to have this lawn thing down if I remember correctly. I do know that the best time to fertilize is during the active growing season, for me that is pretty much over due to my latitude however depending on where you are on the USDA agricultural chart you may be able to squeeze this project in before fall. If not I would just keep enriching your pile during the year until next spring when it is the optimal time for plant development.

• 2Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'm okay with spray, but only as a finishing touch. Total restarts can be done with cardboard or peat moss.

For instance, I airated, over seeded, and fertilized at the right time in order to promote the zoysia to squeeze out the weeds. But it's never going to be perfect that way. If you're looking for that perfection and finishing touch Spectracide works best for me. I find Weed B Gon is too weak and not made for tough weeds. But I only do it as a lawncare min/max hobbyist nerd, it's not really needed. And I only use hand held spot-sprays and never do whole lawn apps. I do them on dry, non-windy days to allow for the chemical to be applied efficiently and then be soaked in by the plant rather than be washed away in the storm drain. The idea is to use natural methods as far as you can, and then use the minimum amount of chemicals as the mix/max nerd Xbox Achievement! cherry on top. I wouldn't lean on the chemicals as your main crutch for lawn health though. That doesn't work anyway. Also remember to be patient, it might take a few years to get it to where you want it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
About the weeds, generally speaking yes, pulling them out should do the trick. However a picture or two of the weeds and yard would really help with any further diagnostics, as would any information related to your USDA grow zone. Some weeds are more vigorous growers and can survive underground through gargantuan root systems that really put up a fight.

As for buying tools/supplies, I have had great success using a weed whacker or its beefier counterpart, a bush whacker if things get too hairy. The auger looks like a good deal but from what I have heard its utility is limited to more of a specialized digging tool.

About the compost, depending on what you have in it and in what amounts the process can take a few weeks to many months. I would recommend adding more soil and fallen leaves into the pile to increase the microorganism count in your bin. You should also be stirring the pile at least once a week, adding water whenever it is dry or whenever you add a large amount of matter to the mixture. I would also highly recommend adding as many earth worms as possible, they work wonders. Aside from decomposing the compost faster they also leave deposits of droppings that plants of all kinds benefit greatly from called "worm castings".

I am not super knowledgeable about lawns as I am more of a tropical/ indoor plant person however AngryGerbil AngryGerbil seems to have this lawn thing down if I remember correctly. I do know that the best time to fertilize is during the active growing season, for me that is pretty much over due to my latitude however depending on where you are on the USDA agricultural chart you may be able to squeeze this project in before fall. If not I would just keep enriching your pile during the year until next spring when it is the optimal time for plant development.
So looks like I'm zone 6a
PHOTO_20170824_182456.jpg

I got these cow lick sprouts, I went in and pulled at the base and they came out easily, but there's like hundreds of em, that's what you gotta do?

PHOTO_20170824_182313.jpg

There's also like patches of not grass, is this a weed patch?

PHOTO_20170824_182345.jpg

Then I got this dead area where a tree used to be(neighbors told me)

I have weeds growing in the cracks of the driveway, I salted and vinegared them a few days ago and they're easy to pull out.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So looks like I'm zone 6a

View attachment 152065

View attachment 152066

View attachment 152067

I have weeds growing in the cracks of the driveway, I salted and vinegared them a few days ago and they're easy to pull out.

So from what I can see you have multiple kinds of grass on your property. I believe what you are calling cow licks and a possible weed patch in the second picture are in fact patches of Tall Fescue. its a grass that looks like this

0000149_tall-fescue-rustler_300.jpeg

1.a.%20TF_HFarm_ChrisGannon.jpg

The soil where the tree once stood needs to be loosened, stirred and enriched with the help of a shovel (at least the top 3 inches of top soil). It looks rather depleted and solidified, you will most likely have to add new organic matter to the area like compost or you can buy a bag of outdoor mix to replenish the soil.

This following web page has great advice, How to Fix Dead Patches in the Lawn - GreenViewFertilizer.com

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So from what I can see you have multiple kinds of grass on your property. I believe what you are calling cow licks and a possible weed patch in the second picture are in fact patches of Tall Fescue. its a grass that looks like this

0000149_tall-fescue-rustler_300.jpeg

1.a.%20TF_HFarm_ChrisGannon.jpg

The soil where the tree once stood needs to be loosened, stirred and enriched with the help of a shovel (at least the top 3 inches of top soil). It looks rather depleted and solidified, you will most likely have to add new organic matter to the area like compost or you can buy a bag of outdoor mix to replenish the soil.

This following web page has great advice, How to Fix Dead Patches in the Lawn - GreenViewFertilizer.com
Yup just got my compost bin with grass clippings, coffee and eggshells

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone here have experience with terrariums? I made one a few years ago, it stayed on the porch so nature took care of some of its needs for me.

However, I have been researching more in depth about the creation of one for strictly indoor display. I have a general idea of what plants I would like to incorporate and what materials I would need as well.

• Thermostat
  • Activated Charcoal
  • Luminosity Detector / Foot Candle Detector
  • Substrate (still deciding on what is best)
  • Humidity Sensor
  • An enclosure with no less than 30 gallons (unless I can have multiple smaller enclosures)
This forum helped me a lot with plant decisions and inspirations.
A Guide to Popular Terrarium Plants - Dendroboard

When considering the enclosure there are a few pros and cons to consider.

An enclosure like this, horizontally orientated with a large open space on top, gives easy access by sacrificing the ability to conserve humidity while working openly. Although this style requires more material and patience as opposed to working in a smaller container, I will be able to add more plants and have greater control over the shape of the landscape.

3d-Rectangle5.jpg

Through my research I have found an amazing plant I would like to show all of you. It is called Rhaphidophora cryptantha. AKA shingle plant. The leaves conform to the surface it is climbing. I desperately need to find this plant in person and buy it.

dc6acfaa84bf07f2896814f09ebfc55c.jpg

31fae7eaa8442e1d4e0f4a6faa4e0cfb.jpg

rhaphidophoracryptantha-bz1.jpg

• 2Like