<Gold Donor>
Okra;

20180517_151712.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I have more Hoya pictures with no flash on my camera in an attempt to display a more natural representation of the colors.

If you look close enough in these pictures small droplets of nectar are visible on each flower. For me this is one of the most rewarding plants in my collection, also the most cost effective for Dollar to bloom ratio.

1Z5ITgG.jpg

7kjoYLI.jpg

As an additional bonus my plant has started opening the second set of blooms, although they are smaller ,(most likely due to me noticing them later thus, resulting in reduced direct contact with the morning rays.) they are still captivating from the range of textures but also their geometry.

Disclaimer some of these pictures contain flash.

86znIGt.jpg

4onDvx3.jpg

• 3Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I have more Hoya pictures with no flash on my camera in an attempt to display a more natural representation of the colors.

If you look close enough in these pictures small droplets of nectar are visible on each flower. For me this is one of the most rewarding plants in my collection, also the most cost effective for Dollar to bloom ratio.

1Z5ITgG.jpg

7kjoYLI.jpg

As an additional bonus my plant has started opening the second set of blooms, although they are smaller ,(most likely due to me noticing them later thus, resulting in reduced direct contact with the morning rays.) they are still captivating from the range of textures but also their geometry.

Disclaimer some of these pictures contain flash.

86znIGt.jpg

4onDvx3.jpg
Are the flowers actually furry or is that just an illusion?

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Are the flowers actually furry or is that just an illusion?

They actually are fuzzy, on the inside. This species has a waxy outside before the blossoms open. Other species have both a waxy outside and a waxy inside as well, the best example is the Giant Hoya. You can buy these and many more species at my favorite place to visit, Logees in CT. Search results for: 'hoya'

Hoyas come in all shapes and sizes in regards to both foliage and flower structure.

R1635-2-large.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Those are exquisite.

Thank you AngryGerbil AngryGerbil , I really am proud of them. I can't overstate how easy it is to take care of these. As long as its not being over watered and fried by the sun, it is a very happy plant. Being a succulent, determining whether or not to water is a matter of feeling the leaves with between your fingers.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So Okra is blooming just about every other day now;

HgLuCah.jpg

ZLsvOLx.jpg

xgcVmed.jpg

piwyJad.jpg

Fresh v frozen
XUbOsuA.jpg

Tomato plant is full of developing tomatoes. Will be interesting to see how many actually fully develop.

One thing ive found interesting is just how the insects magically appear. Ive already had to remove 4-5 hornworms. Never had tomatoes in my backyard before this plant and the backyard was a desert besides the orange tree up until this spring yet as soon as I have plants, they are here.

• 3Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I spent all my time and money on my wedding and honeymoon this spring so I didn't buy any new plants and I have no cool pots going this year as I just didn't have the time or the cash. But two years ago I planted a hosta arrangement (all divisions from my next door neighbor) that, last year, was scraggly and did not grow in well. However this year they are big and healthy and they are stacking up quite nicely. It's perfect how those darker blue-ish ones have grown taller than then lighter variegated ones up front. I didn't expect that to happen, I thought they would all be the same height.

r2zLThx.jpg

And I just thought this was neat. It's a Pin Oak seedling, sprouting from its acorn. I pulled this from the garden. It's amazing to think of all the potential in this little bundle of DNA. If I didn't pull this thing from the ground yesterday, it very easily could have grown bigger than my house and out-lived my grandchildren. I love biology.

WLECeWc.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
kentucky blue grass

Looking over this, I think seed may be the better solution for you.

Plugs are not for every species. They are good for a lot of warm-season runners like Zoysia, which is what I have... but not-so-much for the cool-season runners like Kentucky Blue Grass, which is what you have.

-----

Just watched your video. He stops talking and starts selling at 1:25.

For that 1:25 though, he doesn't say anything wrong or even deceitful. It's simply not as deep as it could be in a horticultural sense. He is right about KBG being a cool-season runner, but he is possibly wrong about the best way to actually establish a KBG lawn. His advice is good for St. Augustine and Zoysia, as he says, but it is less so for KBG or Bermuda, contrary to what he says.

Just be aware that he was selling that Plug Device Thingy. Everything from 1:25 on is a commercial, and I honestly think him using KBG as an example of a grass that needs to be plugged is also a bit of a commercial as well.

He got you didn't he?

-------

Kentucky Bluegrass Lawn & Grass Seed-Grow Kentucky Bluegrass-Buy Bluegrass Seed|Bluegrasses.com

Establishment Of Kentucky Bluegrass Lawns

"Bluegrass can be fairly easy established from seed or sod. Seeded lawns establishment depends upon a well prepared seedbed, application of a starter fertilizer, following seeding guidelines with consistent watering schedules while the seedlings develop and thereafter as needed. Due to the slower growth of Bluegrass, full establishment takes time (1-2 months is not unusual). This is one of the primary reasons to include Perennial Ryegrass in a Bluegrass lawn."

---------------

Your video-guy is right about seeding. It is actually cheaper than plugs.... but it's harder work. That's why he's selling you that thingy-ma-gig. He wants you to buy plugs and tools for plugs. And that's fair. What's not fair is him lumping St. Augustine with KBG with such ease.

His ease is either ignorance or malice. Hanlon's Razor says it's probably ignorance and that's also what I see. An ignorant man effectively selling you a blue tool.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looking over this, I think seed may be the better solution for you.

Plugs are not for every species. They are good for a lot of warm-season runners like Zoysia, which is what I have, but not-so-much for the cool-season runners like Kentucky Blue Grass, which is what you have.

-----

Just watched your video. He stops talking and starts selling at 1:25.

For that 1:25 though, he doesn't say anything wrong or even deceitful. It's simply not as deep as it could be in a horticultural sense. He is right about KBG being a cool-season runner, but he is possibly wrong about the best way to actually establish a KBG lawn. His advice is good for St. Augustine and Zoysia, as he says, but it is less so for KBG or Bermuda, contrary to what he says.

Just be aware that he was selling that Plug Device Thingy. Everything from 1:25 on is a commercial, and I honestly think him using KBG as an example of a grass that needs to be plugged is also a bit of a commercial as well.

He got you didn't he?

-------

Kentucky Bluegrass Lawn & Grass Seed-Grow Kentucky Bluegrass-Buy Bluegrass Seed|Bluegrasses.com

Establishment Of Kentucky Bluegrass Lawns

"Bluegrass can be fairly easy established from seed or sod. Seeded lawns establishment depends upon a well prepared seedbed, application of a starter fertilizer, following seeding guidelines with consistent watering schedules while the seedlings develop and thereafter as needed. Due to the slower growth of Bluegrass, full establishment takes time (1-2 months is not unusual). This is one of the primary reasons to include Perennial Ryegrass in a Bluegrass lawn."

---------------

Your video-guy is right about seeding. It is actually cheaper than plugs.... but it's harder work. That's why he's selling you that thingy-ma-gig. He wants you to buy plugs and tools for plugs. And that's fair. What's not fair is him lumping St. Augustine with KBG with such ease.

His ease is either ignorance or malice. Hanlon's Razor says it's probably ignorance and that's also what I see. An ignorant man selling you a blue tool.
oh yea, thats the guy selling the plugger, there are other vids of regular ppl using it too but his is informative (even tho he's shilling).

I mean yea, spots i have seeded for months and just nothing grows, actually now that i've been plugging, the dirt i take out from my back yard is like a hard hockey puck, but goes in smooth.

When i try to use it on my problem spots, i have to jump on it like a pogo stick to punch it through, and the dirt is like clay, it just breaks up.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
oh yea, thats the guy selling the plugger, there are other vids of regular ppl using it too but his is informative (even tho he's shilling).

I mean yea, spots i have seeded for months and just nothing grows, actually now that i've been plugging, the dirt i take out from my back yard is like a hard hockey puck, but goes in smooth.

When i try to use it on my problem spots, i have to jump on it like a pogo stick to punch it through, and the dirt is like clay, it just breaks up.

Fair enough. Another problem besides nutrients and water could be sunlight. Several of the grasses we're talking about here require a good amount of sunlight.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fair enough. Another problem besides nutrients and water could be sunlight. Several of the grasses we're talking about here require a good amount of sunlight.
oh my sun score is like 94, tons of sun in the middle of ks, and the dead spots are no where near the trees

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hateyou Hateyou and Oldbased Oldbased have me looking at my compost bin more, i thought i could just throw some worm in there and see what happens, what i actually need to do is have a separate bin for vermicular composting.

But on that note i thought my compost bin was just dump (everything but meat/diary etc), and turn every 2 weeks. Now i'm getting a long as thermometer (seems the longest is 20in, plz no length jokes, be civil in the plant thread!). Also i just made a run from tractor supply, seems i don't have enough "browns" in my pile so a good way to add some (since leaves won't fall for a few months) is to buy fresh pine, horse bedding. It was only 40lbs for 6bucks, sure, why not.

Then Hateyou Hateyou turned me onto the Garden Tower 2 while it looks ultra posh, i don't think it's 400bucks posh

What i think i will try is either this small
Mr. Stacky 5-Tier Strawberry Planter Pot, 5 Pots

or the larger sized
LARGE Vertical Gardening Stackable Planters by Mr. Stacky

here's the size difference
714-DbO%2BbmL._SL1138_.jpg

Any opinions? i'm just gonna take a 1in or 2in pvc pipe drill lots of holes on the side stick it in the middle and make it a Motel6 Garden Tower.

and yea, i'm an absolute noob, i have no idea what to do once i get it and buy some worms.

i wanna say i wanna just put some potting mix in there and drop a few seeds, but i doubt thats the way to go? i would have to make a little greenhouse and "sprout" them?

why i want to do this? i have no idea, i got this
1420606790285.jpeg

and i put a tomatoe pant on the bottom upside down 2 weeks ago, and it's not dead yet, and i put a bunch of oregano/sage/parsley on the top for fun.

So i guess, i wanna try more? i have a back yard, but a lot of fuck rabbits everywhere, so i'd put my garden tower on my deck away from rabbits.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hateyou Hateyou and Oldbased Oldbased have me looking at my compost bin more, i thought i could just throw some worm in there and see what happens, what i actually need to do is have a separate bin for vermicular composting.

But on that note i thought my compost bin was just dump (everything but meat/diary etc), and turn every 2 weeks. Now i'm getting a long as thermometer (seems the longest is 20in, plz no length jokes, be civil in the plant thread!). Also i just made a run from tractor supply, seems i don't have enough "browns" in my pile so a good way to add some (since leaves won't fall for a few months) is to buy fresh pine, horse bedding. It was only 40lbs for 6bucks, sure, why not.

Then Hateyou Hateyou turned me onto the Garden Tower 2 while it looks ultra posh, i don't think it's 400bucks posh

What i think i will try is either this small
Mr. Stacky 5-Tier Strawberry Planter Pot, 5 Pots

or the larger sized
LARGE Vertical Gardening Stackable Planters by Mr. Stacky

here's the size difference
714-DbO%2BbmL._SL1138_.jpg

Any opinions? i'm just gonna take a 1in or 2in pvc pipe drill lots of holes on the side stick it in the middle and make it a Motel6 Garden Tower.

and yea, i'm an absolute noob, i have no idea what to do once i get it and buy some worms.

i wanna say i wanna just put some potting mix in there and drop a few seeds, but i doubt thats the way to go? i would have to make a little greenhouse and "sprout" them?

why i want to do this? i have no idea, i got this
1420606790285.jpeg

and i put a tomatoe pant on the bottom upside down 2 weeks ago, and it's not dead yet, and i put a bunch of oregano/sage/parsley on the top for fun.

So i guess, i wanna try more? i have a back yard, but a lot of fuck rabbits everywhere, so i'd put my garden tower on my deck away from rabbits.

You don't need a green house to do seedlings, but you don't start them in the tower. Just starter pots and indoor sunlight is fine to get stuff started. You can find info online about what seeds and when. Or you could go the route of buying stuff already started at Lowe's or garden places. My dad seeds stuff himself, I buy stuff already started. We both have pretty much the same results, mines just more expensive. His usually produces more cause he pays more attention to it, more experienced.

Read about what things to plant near each other, that garden tower website has a lot of good info about that. Some things help each other grow by needing different nutrients, providing shade for the other one, etc. Also you will have some flowers so the bugs destroy those instead of your veggie plants. Don't plant Mint in with anything else. The shit goes fucking wild and ruins other stuff. Just do it separately if you want it, in a Mason jar.

Yes on the potting soil, just fill up with that. Put compost mixed with soil and shredded paper in the center of your tower, throw the worms in. There are some things worms don't like, like citrus stuff, I forget if anything else. Once it's going good you can add things like banana peels, carrots etc. to the center.

I recommend baby tomato plants on the very top, they've always done well for us, just pay attention to underwatering or overwatering or you'll get butt rot. Basil and other herbs, small hot peppers, green onions, lettuce, have done well for us too. Green peppers were ok but small, cucumbers failed both years but we had it above rocks...think it got too hot.

Also look up planting times for your area for everything you plan to do. Some stuff you can't plant this late in the year. Other things you can plant almost all year, like radishes.

Have fun, good luck.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Lanx Lanx Here’s what we used to do for herbs before we got a tower. We still do this, cause you can buy living ones and just start them at any time.

Just remove the jars from the hose clamps before winter or they will explode.

D8B69EB4-4CF7-42EC-821C-CEEB6BAA7BFB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users