The House Plants Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Lily's looking happy this year too. I also thought that scotch moss was dead, then it got better.
15558779503355233837710858494732.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Dracaena grew about a foot over the winter. I didnt know they could grow so fast in low winter light.
15558780989942137152556262441443.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What's up with plants? They seem like the ultimate freeloaders. They take up your valuable real estate all while suckling the resources from your precious land.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My Hoya Vine has new and old flower spikes that are currently active. There has been substantial growth in the vines as well, requiring me to add an additional support.

tums3J3.jpg

VVZZaEe.jpg

VJi745Y.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Serpens Serpens do you still have those Adeniums that you grew from seed all of those posts ago? Mine is on the rebound after the rough winter and is adapting to the new window, but probably needs some new soil and a more practical pot.

9qZVNsS.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Serpens Serpens do you still have those Adeniums that you grew from seed all of those posts ago? Mine is on the rebound after the rough winter and is adapting to the new window, but probably needs some new soil and a more practical pot.

9qZVNsS.jpg
Congrats on the new place. Still have the adeniums but they are not thriving. They are slow growing and not flowering and just figured out they have a mealy bug infestation. I've sprayed them with a diluted liquid soap solution and I think it's working. Hopefully they will improve.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Congrats on the new place. Still have the adeniums but they are not thriving. They are slow growing and not flowering and just figured out they have a mealy bug infestation. I've sprayed them with a diluted liquid soap solution and I think it's working. Hopefully they will improve.

Thanks man, it's much better than the last place.

That is unfortunate, good to catch them though. Hopefully that soapy IPM regiment helps out. It's surprising that anything can actually feed on adeniums considering that they are highly toxic when entering the blood stream.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i guess i'm gonna revive this thread, last week i put in an order for
86d3b3cddabf8f2b8d69183c262213ae.png

5f31efcb698ac391863afd995c062bc5.png

i plan to just put in a 5 gallon bucket in that closet with 7, pots drilled out and just have it sit there with no put using the "kratky method"

this looks like the laziest way to grow something, note i have zero green thumb and i'm amazed i can keep a good lawn. the house i bought actually has 4 garden beds, but with no watering system, those plants have died cuz i forget to go out and water shit.

i just want fresh edame/soybeans

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Forgot about this thread! Nice bump.

I have a small office that I don't use with a florescent light ballast. Have wondered about doing an indoor garden. Have been too lazy to build out and upkeep outdoor garden. Mostly want cheap basil. So curious how your project goes.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
20211019_104620.jpg

i put 7 peas into my mung bean sprouter (i talked about this in the cooking thread, theres also another tray w/ mung beans on the bottom) and theyve been getting sprayed since sunday

i read that a lot of ppl have issues with ph up and down w/ hydroponics, i have a full ro unit setup (well not setup i still have to route tubes underneath, but i have water) so i'll just fill up a 5gallon bucket with that to circumvent the ph issues.

i haven't even setup the closet yet, i don't see a need to until they sprout more.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I'm still alive and collecting plants BTW, I just moved into my new place and have them organized. When I can get a moment I'll upload one of my more recent blooms and new additions / tips and tricks. Thanks for motivating me lads.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
i haven't even setup the closet yet, i don't see a need to until they sprout more.
As some one who deals with irrigation and artificial lighting equipment for plants everyday for employment, I would highly recommend that you set up any equipment before you actually need it. This allows you to trouble shoot any unforeseen kinks, (no irrigation pun intended) BEFORE you have plants in their final homes.

For Example:

Maybe the fan isn't venting enough or has a manufacturing error preventing the heat and humidity load generated by the lights and plants to be properly maintained, thus creating an unfavorable environment or damaging other equipment. Most thermometer/hydrometer combo sensors are relatively cheap and have enough memory to tell you the High and Low data points for each day. I would run your light and fan set up for at least 24 hours to get "day" and "night" readings.

Additionally, there are small oscillating fans that can be clamped onto the vertical support beams in the corner of the tent. I would also highly recommend purchasing some as airflow will prevent spores and some soil dwelling pathogens from taking hold in the tent.

Sorry for the run on sentences, I am fried from work and todays errands.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
As some one who deals with irrigation and artificial lighting equipment for plants everyday for employment, I would highly recommend that you set up any equipment before you actually need it. This allows you to trouble shoot any unforeseen kinks, (no irrigation pun intended) BEFORE you have plants in their final homes.

For Example:

Maybe the fan isn't venting enough or has a manufacturing error preventing the heat and humidity load generated by the lights and plants to be properly maintained, thus creating an unfavorable environment or damaging other equipment. Most thermometer/hydrometer combo sensors are relatively cheap and have enough memory to tell you the High and Low data points for each day. I would run your light and fan set up for at least 24 hours to get "day" and "night" readings.

Additionally, there are small oscillating fans that can be clamped onto the vertical support beams in the corner of the tent. I would also highly recommend purchasing some as airflow will prevent spores and some soil dwelling pathogens from taking hold in the tent.

Sorry for the run on sentences, I am fried from work and todays errands.
yea i get you, i'm just being lazy heh

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
20211024_221531.jpg

theyve been the mung been sprouter for 7 days, i took em out, the roots are really long.

idk wtf i'm doing i just pushed the roots through the basket put that wool stuff on top i guess to "stuff" it down and i put clay pebbles over it (this was after)

i had 1 dead seed out of 7, which turned out fine, i'll just use 6 and i made a 7th hole so i can top off water, put in nutrients, this is the first week and i'm just following the schedule on the website.

idk wtf i'm doing with the lights, these lights can blind perseus, holy shit i guess i'm supposed to have em on a timer? and also with the big air blower as well?

guess i'll just repurpose an amazon smart plug and put it on a schedule.

do i need to like put wiring for the plants to wrap on to or something? like just wrap it in chicken wire.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That light is too high, that's why they're strung out like that. Also did you soak the rock will first?

Look up jeb the gardener on YouTube. That guy has tons of videos covering the krakety method.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
That light is too high, that's why they're strung out like that. Also did you soak the rock will first?

Look up jeb the gardener on YouTube. That guy has tons of videos covering the krakety method.
i just put those seedlings in the pot, b4 they were just on a tray for a week

so i should lower that light by how much?

yea i soaked the wool and pebbles

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Shouldn't matter how high the light is in that tent...

Hydro is such a fucking headache.

Oh, nutrient lock out, burns and root rot happens almost instantly etc etc.

Imo go soil, use something like pure blend pro when in flower.

IMG_20211022_104030016_HDR.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users