The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I still haven't gotten a good answer about how the antagonist kids could just sit there and circle-jerk each other while hunting down the weak kids. If it's a one-man-survives death match how comfortable could you be in a group? Especially if you were the top seed.

Also lol @ Philip Seymour Hoffman being in this movie. You really could cast a better a better pair of lawful evil characters than Sutherland and Hoffman.
It happens in Survivor all the time. I know they're not killing each other, but people band together with the strong ones to get further in the game knowing they'll have to blindside/backstab them or lose to them in the end. The strategy here would be similar.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The hipster thing to do is hate on these movies, but the first movie was pretty true to the book, had great acting and looked great. I will definitely see this, although probably not in the theater.
I thought it was better than the book. The books are not good. Maybe they are good for "young adult" books, idk.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I still haven't gotten a good answer about how the antagonist kids could just sit there and circle-jerk each other while hunting down the weak kids. If it's a one-man-survives death match how comfortable could you be in a group? Especially if you were the top seed.

Also lol @ Philip Seymour Hoffman being in this movie. You really could cast a better a better pair of lawful evil characters than Sutherland and Hoffman.
In the books they explain that the more wealthy district train some kids from birth for the games. Before the games, during the training or whatever, they kind of size each other up and make Survivor-style alliances. Their goal is to kill off all the scrubs quickly and with flash so they get sponsors and the sponsors send them shit to help them kill off the others. At some point their group dynamic would break up as they would have no one left to hunt but each other.

Think about it, if you're the top seed and you try to go it alone, who do you think the group is going to target? Better to be in the group and reap the benefits.

Caliane

The hipster thing to do is hate on these movies, but the first movie was pretty true to the book, had great acting and looked great. I will definitely see this, although probably not in the theater.
lowered expectations!

Christ, Is this how low we've fallen? If a movie doesn't actively punch you in the balls, you're happy with it?
Acting was ok. Craftsmanship was good/ok. movie was pretty yeah. Sure its not like Twilight which was a complete failure on every level. how is the CGI in that shit so bad?
But, this movie was not GOOD.
The entire tree scene. wtf. NONE of that made any sense at all.
Then, Expert archer, gets a bow and arrow. doesn't shoot anyone with it.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
The novels were really not that great. We now have many good YA writers and claiming Collin's prose was bad because it's a YA novel can't really stand up. I think that since she was originally a screenwriter the novels turned out a little bland and lacking depth.

I thought the movie was a decent popcorn flick and IIRC the girl I was dating at the time loved it, but I won't pay to see these in the theater myself.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In the books they explain that the more wealthy district train some kids from birth for the games. Before the games, during the training or whatever, they kind of size each other up and make Survivor-style alliances. Their goal is to kill off all the scrubs quickly and with flash so they get sponsors and the sponsors send them shit to help them kill off the others. At some point their group dynamic would break up as they would have no one left to hunt but each other.

Think about it, if you're the top seed and you try to go it alone, who do you think the group is going to target? Better to be in the group and reap the benefits.
What you say makes sense, but the movie didn't really cover that. And that shit would've splintered the second they realized they were the only real group.

And it's different from survivor in that:
1. People in survivor are forced to be teammates
2. People in survivor actually need each other to survive. (The elite kids in the hunger games can do fine on their own)
3. 'fighting' in survivor is done via democratic voting, so there is an explicit needs to group up to protect yourself.

nuday

Golden Squire
I thought it was better than the book. The books are not good. Maybe they are good for "young adult" books, idk.
I agree with this. I read some stuff that is considered YA, but I thought the Hunger Games books were pretty.. I don't know, dry? I liked the movie much better.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i thought the first movie was missing something. i dunno wut. maybe this one would be slightly better.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think the real problem with the series is how much better the first 2 books were than the 3rd. The 3rd book was fucking horrid and I really enjoyed the first two. I hope they end this series with this movie.

Xalara

Golden Squire
It seems like they might be taking the right direction for the third movie by giving President Snow a much more visible presence. Of course it could be that Donald Sutherland is amazing as well. It'll be interesting to see how the second and third movies handle how screwed up Katness becomes psychologically speaking.

lordvanduu_sl

shitlord
It'll be interesting to see how the second and third movies handle how screwed up Katness becomes psychologically speaking.
Yeah, I was wondering how they are going to end the third movie based on how she winds up. She gets kind of crazy and the series ends on kind of a downer I thought.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
having assumed the movie/books would be terrible, I was surprised with the movie and enjoyed it.

there are tons of unrealistic things, sure, but I kept saying to myself, holy fuck, these kids are killing each other!

I would have appreciated some more realism, like in gladiator when that guy just pisses himself. There would be at least 2-3 kids pissing themselves and crying as soon as that shit started.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
there are tons of unrealistic things, sure, but I kept saying to myself, holy fuck, these kids are killing each other!
I know it's been said before but you should watch Battle Royal. It's a better "holy fuck, these kids are killing each other" movie.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I know it's been said before but you should watch Battle Royal. It's a better "holy fuck, these kids are killing each other" movie.
I'd love to, I'll check it out when I get home. So many people die in so many movies that movie death has become a thing of commonplace. Like, in American Psycho, most people got pissed when Bateman smashed the dog, not the bum, because people are so used to watching other people die casually in movies.

the hunger games, while failing at lots of things, seemed to accomplish emphasizing the mental anguish associated with the likelihood of death, their fear felt somewhat real to me.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For the most part the first movie was ....ok. The one part that did impress me, besides the stunning beauty of the main actress, was the death scene of the little black girl. I was touched by the way they did that through the view point of her dying as opposed to only from those that observe the death.

I will not bother watching the 2nd movie in a theater. Movies are to damn expensive and the previews actually grabbed me less than the first movie.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I guess I just have higher expectations for books than movies. I thought the book was kind of bad, whereas the movie was kind of good.

Fyro

Golden Squire
I know I'll get reamed for this, but fuck my asshole if "Battle Royal" isn't a steaming piece of shit.

Yes I said it. Just because it's a foreign film and off most people's radars doesn't inherently make it good, it just makes it obscure.

That said, this is for Hunger Games not Battle Royal, so, I hope they don't fuck anything up. Most of the first movie was decent and I enjoyed it, hope they keep the shit that they did well and figure out something new for all the rest.

Also one thing that is great about the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight- it actually gets teens to read. I know most of you don't care, but this is HUGE. These movies actually encourage kids to pick up books which they are not doing now-a-days.

Caliane

I know I'll get reamed for this, but fuck my asshole if "Battle Royal" isn't a steaming piece of shit.

Yes I said it. Just because it's a foreign film and off most people's radars doesn't inherently make it good, it just makes it obscure.

That said, this is for Hunger Games not Battle Royal, so, I hope they don't fuck anything up. Most of the first movie was decent and I enjoyed it, hope they keep the shit that they did well and figure out something new for all the rest.

Also one thing that is great about the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight- it actually gets teens to read. I know most of you don't care, but this is HUGE. These movies actually encourage kids to pick up books which they are not doing now-a-days.
Battle Royal is a live action anime.

For better or worse. Some seriously shitty emo, cliche characters really bring the movie down about 10 notches for sure. The good is pretty good though.