The Ketogenic Diet/Recipe Thread

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What are yalls opinion on those shake/powder meal replacement keto products? Like Keto Chow, Ample K, etc?

They claim to be complete nutrition and they sound super convenient for people on the go, which I need due to work. They seem pricey though. Any of you use them and can share your review? I don't trust random internet reviews anymore, they all seem to be inside jobs.

Also, its not keto but does anyone use Huel?
I've gone crazy on Amazon getting about everything keto related to try it out and this includes the keto chow shake mix. I do 4oz of heavy cream, and fill the rest of my shaker bottle with water, and it tastes amazing and do think that's it's pretty filling. This is the chocolate flavor but they have a metric ton of flavors you can try.

I'll have to go through my Amazon list and make a quick review of everything I bought. Lol

Also, made that 90 second mug bread this morning, along with gravy made with 2 tbsp almond flour and heavy cream. Was amazing! I love finding new low carb recipes of things I've always done before.

That brings me to another question. Everyone is different but what is the difference between 20g or less in net carbs vs say 40 to 50g of net carbs per day? I understand some people would still be in ketosis but not me. Honestly not sure I get into ketosis at less than 20.

My thought is to eat like I'm on keto, but if I go over 20g because I wanted an extra helping of brocolli or maybe one day I wanted to eat a small apple, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Also realizing that calories in and out still matter greatly. Weight loss has stalled out and so it's been about 10lbs in water weight that I lost. That's fine, but despite eating keto, still consuming way too many calories is a problem for me.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've gone crazy on Amazon getting about everything keto related to try it out and this includes the keto chow shake mix. I do 4oz of heavy cream, and fill the rest of my shaker bottle with water, and it tastes amazing and do think that's it's pretty filling. This is the chocolate flavor but they have a metric ton of flavors you can try.

I'll have to go through my Amazon list and make a quick review of everything I bought. Lol

Also, made that 90 second mug bread this morning, along with gravy made with 2 tbsp almond flour and heavy cream. Was amazing! I love finding new low carb recipes of things I've always done before.

That brings me to another question. Everyone is different but what is the difference between 20g or less in net carbs vs say 40 to 50g of net carbs per day? I understand some people would still be in ketosis but not me. Honestly not sure I get into ketosis at less than 20.

My thought is to eat like I'm on keto, but if I go over 20g because I wanted an extra helping of brocolli or maybe one day I wanted to eat a small apple, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Also realizing that calories in and out still matter greatly. Weight loss has stalled out and so it's been about 10lbs in water weight that I lost. That's fine, but despite eating keto, still consuming way too many calories is a problem for me.

The only way to figure out your carb threshold for keto is relentless testing. Keeping track of your carbs each day and measuring whether you are producing ketones or not should be pretty straightforward with keto sticks.

As for the too many calories issue, I strongly suggest people with that particular problem to start skipping breakfast and introduce a reduced feeding window. When you restrict the time you have to eat, it just becomes very difficult to consume too many calories in such a short period of time especially on keto with foods that are very satiating. If you go that direction, though, don't start with anything over 8 hours. 8 hours is probably still too long for a lot of people, but that is a realistic starting place for someone used to eating over the entire time they are awake.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

The only way to figure out your carb threshold for keto is relentless testing. Keeping track of your carbs each day and measuring whether you are producing ketones or not should be pretty straightforward with keto sticks.

As for the too many calories issue, I strongly suggest people with that particular problem to start skipping breakfast and introduce a reduced feeding window. When you restrict the time you have to eat, it just becomes very difficult to consume too many calories in such a short period of time especially on keto with foods that are very satiating. If you go that direction, though, don't start with anything over 8 hours. 8 hours is probably still too long for a lot of people, but that is a realistic starting place for someone used to eating over the entire time they are awake.
I skip breakfast most mornings anyway. Not truly a fast as I will typically have a Diet Coke or energy drink, but because of work travel per diem it's not uncommon to eat a Ribeye steak for lunch and something equally as caloric for dinner.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

how was it? and how much did it cost?

I've had some of the bagels and the plain bread so far. The plain bread certainly won't fool you into thinking it is regular bread, but it did a serviceable job for bacon tomato sandwich, a very good peanut butter toast, and a freaking awesome grilled cheese. Toasting seems to be a must. The bagels are good at being toasted bagels but are fairly flavorless. I'm interested to taste the honey bread, but don't want to open it before the plain bread is gone as each loaf (or bag of 6 bagels) cost $6.99.

The worst part about them is that the size is variable based on the loaf you choose, and I got a loaf with slices half the size of regular bread slices. Still, the grilled cheese I made with them were so good that I may keep buying it just for that. I've read that it makes very good french toast as well, so I'll test that soon. I also have a panini press that I haven't used in a long time that I want to try with them since they seem to really take to being cooked.

Crone

I've had some of the bagels and the plain bread so far. The plain bread certainly won't fool you into thinking it is regular bread, but it did a serviceable job for bacon tomato sandwich, a very good peanut butter toast, and a freaking awesome grilled cheese. Toasting seems to be a must. The bagels are good at being toasted bagels but are fairly flavorless. I'm interested to taste the honey bread, but don't want to open it before the plain bread is gone as each loaf (or bag of 6 bagels) cost $6.99.

The worst part about them is that the size is variable based on the loaf you choose, and I got a loaf with slices half the size of regular bread slices. Still, the grilled cheese I made with them were so good that I may keep buying it just for that. I've read that it makes very good french toast as well, so I'll test that soon. I also have a panini press that I haven't used in a long time that I want to try with them since they seem to really take to being cooked.
That's another debate I'm in about why I kinda wanna go low carb vs keto. Fucking tomatoes and onions. Yea, they have carbs. But if I have a slice of tomato on my lettuce wrap burger, I'm not gonna fucking die. Or if I throw some red onion on my salad, or also on my burger.

But overall between a few from veggies, few from this or that, it's usually stuff I cut out despite loving them. That's hard.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I tried keto/low carb back in Jan/Feb and looking back at my old post seems I shot for 50 net carbs or less per day. Well I was not happy with the results and threw in the towel. If I do this again looks like the guidance is 20 net carbs or less a day. Still mulling it over though.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

Anyone tried that stuff? Seems like in theory it would be good, but in practice I'm not sure what I would use it on.

Crone

Anyone tried that stuff? Seems like in theory it would be good, but in practice I'm not sure what I would use it on.
Hey lazy be lazy but save yourself the expense, and just buy a bag of pork rinds at the store, throw the whole bag in a food processor and you now have the same thing!

Best thing I've found it used for is the keto taco shells.

LiquidDeath

For any low carb/keto peeps that have Braum's Fresh Markets near them, they have the best low-carb bread I've ever tasted. 7g net carbs for 2 slices. They are slightly smaller then most normal bread slices, but they certainly do the trick and it is honest to god bread. Best part? It is only $1.79 a loaf.

braumslowcarbbread1.jpg
braumslowcarbbread2.jpg
braumslowcarbbread3.jpg

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im glad they are actually making low carb shit these days. Back about 5 yrs ago when I started on keto there was shit all at the stores. Slowly its looking like demand is strong enough to actually force supply of this shit.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I guess I dont understand the difference between net carbs and total carbs because the numbers on that bread are way different.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I guess I dont understand the difference between net carbs and total carbs because the numbers on that bread are way different.
You subtract the dietary fiber from the carbs since dietary fiber is not digested.

16-9= 7 net carbs.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Excellent keto finds from Costco. Costco's website is for shit, I don't understand how such a large company can fuck up so badly on their website but you literally have to go to a different company's website to figure out what food your local Costco stocks.

Tyson's Blackened Chicken

chicken.jpg

Fully cooked and delicious, just reheat in the microwave. I could eat this stuff all day on salads or with a high fat dipping sauce. Highly recommend.

Jones Fully Cooked Chicken Sausage

sausage.jpeg

Again, already fully cooked. They taste good, but the texture is not the greatest. For throwing in the microwave and enjoying in minutes, though, they are hard to beat. It is chicken, so it is light on fat, but you can solve that by eating with eggs or smothering in fatty dressing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I dont like frozen chicken, has a weird texture and taste to me and really it’s usually just cheaper to cook it yourself and it doesn’t take long.

LiquidDeath

I dont like frozen chicken, has a weird texture and taste to me and really it’s usually just cheaper to cook it yourself and it doesn’t take long.

I'm with you, but this blackened chicken is really something different. The flavor is pretty great if you like spicy food.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why are you eating chicken sausage? Do you hate yourself?

These are what you're looking for:

an-sausages-12oz-ns-paleo1.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
While I’ve never had chicken breakfast sausage, I enjoy chicken Italian sausage and brats.

• 1Like