The Ketogenic Diet/Recipe Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
if you have a low light issue, does that mean you cook in the dark too? when i installed can lights in my kitchen, it really upgraded the experience.

Moving to a new house next week with an upgraded vent hood that I picked to specifically accommodate more (LED) lighting and much more air flow.

LiquidDeath

New keto dessert that turned out fantastic.

Basic cream cheese filling: 8oz cream cheese, 2 tsp vanilla extract, liquid stevia to taste (can use erythritol to at about 1/4 cup as well), blend until well combined.

Pipe that into crepinis (bought from Costco fairly cheap): https://www.crepini.com/

Top with stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips or various berries.

IMG_20190612_183019.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much fully switched to hemp as a high fat protein source instead of pea protein. I was already pretty lean, but heading into summer I wanted to drop a bit more fat and if possible add muscle.

So far the results have been pretty remarkable. Down to about 10.5% body fat but up 3lbs of lean muscle mass (using a fairly cheap scale to measure).

60g works out to about 20g protein and a bunch of fat and fiber. It blends into smoothies well and if you fry it into things it gets a nice crust on veggies. Pretty awesome imo.

• 1Like

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Homemade Keto Protein Shake
  • 29g protein
  • 95g fat
  • 6g net carbs (20g fiber)
  • 1100 calories

If you're new to keto, I'd suggest not adding as much coconut milk and avocado oil to begin, and then slowing increasing the volume. The huge influx of fats, while good for you technically, can be a lot for your body to adjust to in one shot. Another benefit of this shake is that it helps avoid the dreaded newbie keto constipation a lot of people complain about, given that it has a LOT of fiber in it.

Ingredients (7)CaloriesCarbsFatProteinSugar
Hemp Hearts - Manitoba Harvest, 60g340626202
Chia Seed, 30g15012770
Coconut Milk - 1/2 can (unsweetened)30033003
Oil, avocado, 2 tbsp24802800
Cacoa, 1 tablespoon203110
Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Chocolate, 8 oz402310
Now - Stevia, (to taste)

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Homemade Keto Protein Shake
  • 29g protein
  • 95g fat
  • 6g net carbs (20g fiber)
  • 1100 calories
If you're new to keto, I'd suggest not adding as much coconut milk and avocado oil to begin, and then slowing increasing the volume. The huge influx of fats, while good for you technically, can be a lot for your body to adjust to in one shot. Another benefit of this shake is that it helps avoid the dreaded newbie keto constipation a lot of people complain about, given that it has a LOT of fiber in it.

Ingredients (7)CaloriesCarbsFatProteinSugar
Hemp Hearts - Manitoba Harvest, 60g340626202
Chia Seed, 30g15012770
Coconut Milk - 1/2 can (unsweetened)30033003
Oil, avocado, 2 tbsp24802800
Cacoa, 1 tablespoon203110
Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Chocolate, 8 oz402310
Now - Stevia, (to taste)

Is this meant to be a meal replacement? It seems pretty beefy (pun intended).

• 1Like

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Is this meant to be a meal replacement? It seems pretty beefy (pun intended).

Yes, it's definitely not a snack, it's a full meal.
You can play around with the oil & fat content though to bring the calories down if needed.

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Mashed cauliflower seems to be popular with keto diets lately. I've always hated the taste of raw/steamed/boiled cauliflower because it is extremely earthy, basically like dirt to me. For anyone who's tried commercial mashed versions or your own, does the earthy taste become milder at all?

• 1Like

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Mashed cauliflower seems to be popular with keto diets lately. I've always hated the taste of raw/steamed/boiled cauliflower because it is extremely earthy, basically like dirt to me. For anyone who's tried commercial mashed versions or your own, does the earthy taste become milder at all?

I usually do riced cauliflower and haven't run into any issues with the earthy taste. I tend to add garlic and herb seasoning to mine though so I think that helps, along with dicing up some spinach to add some bulk to it.

The main thing I've run into with it is that I have to really thoroughly cook it or else it's runny - I prefer for my rice and riced vegetables to be on the "dry" side. Not a fan of mushy/runny texture.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This last Tuesday I decided to go back to Keto. I did it for about 3 months a couple years ago, but there are so many more options now, or at least easier access to those options. I'm diabetic, so it should help with that as well.

Hardest part this past week was feeling hungry all the time. Doing the whole stay under 20g, and I need to start tracking everything so that I can get enough fats. I think before that was my problem is that I was under 20g carbs every day, but I wasn't getting enough fats, and so it didn't work out that well.

LiquidDeath

This last Tuesday I decided to go back to Keto. I did it for about 3 months a couple years ago, but there are so many more options now, or at least easier access to those options. I'm diabetic, so it should help with that as well.

Hardest part this past week was feeling hungry all the time. Doing the whole stay under 20g, and I need to start tracking everything so that I can get enough fats. I think before that was my problem is that I was under 20g carbs every day, but I wasn't getting enough fats, and so it didn't work out that well.

When I do keto, I make sure to clear my plate, literally. I drench my food in butter or homemade dressing and then actually lick the plate clean. My wife gets on to me, but that is delicious fat that I refuse to waste and even an extra tablespoon makes a difference.

Cheese is another really easy way to get a good amount of fat easily. Sargento cheese sticks are really great as they are real cheese and you can get them in bulk at Sam's or Costco.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Yes, I think people underestimate how much fat they really need to get going on keto. It can feel disgusting at first if you're not accustomed to it.
I'll go so far as to make a smoothie with an entire can of coconut milk (not the watered down cartons, the cans) and then add a avocado oil or EVOO to kick it up even more.
I find it's also helpful to keep almonds and spinach nearby at all times since you can basically eat as much of that as you want and still stay in ketosis (YMMV, always).

• 1Like

Crone

Yes, I think people underestimate how much fat they really need to get going on keto. It can feel disgusting at first if you're not accustomed to it.
I'll go so far as to make a smoothie with an entire can of coconut milk (not the watered down cartons, the cans) and then add a avocado oil or EVOO to kick it up even more.
I find it's also helpful to keep almonds and spinach nearby at all times since you can basically eat as much of that as you want and still stay in ketosis (YMMV, always).
Have both Almonds and Spinach in the house, but I was curious about that. Almonds have like net 2g carbs per serving, so I get that everyone is different, but regardless of who you are, if you eat too many almonds, wouldn't you get kicked out of ketosis?

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Have both Almonds and Spinach in the house, but I was curious about that. Almonds have like net 2g carbs per serving, so I get that everyone is different, but regardless of who you are, if you eat too many almonds, wouldn't you get kicked out of ketosis?

Yes, overeating anything except for pure fat has the potential to kick you out of ketosis.
For me though, I'd be satiated from almonds or spinach long before that became an issue.

Fat bombing your food helps a lot too, adding more fat to things makes them so much more filling.

Crone

Yes, overeating anything except for pure fat has the potential to kick you out of ketosis.
For me though, I'd be satiated from almonds or spinach long before that became an issue.

Fat bombing your food helps a lot too, adding more fat to things makes them so much more filling.
Yea I made a ham bone and celery soup today. Let some home bones, celery, pepper, and garlic simmer for like 4 hours. Then after putting it into my bowl, I put in some heavy whipping cream. Was delicious, and the extra fat I'm sure helped things.

LiquidDeath

Yea I made a ham bone and celery soup today. Let some home bones, celery, pepper, and garlic simmer for like 4 hours. Then after putting it into my bowl, I put in some heavy whipping cream. Was delicious, and the extra fat I'm sure helped things.

Be careful with heavy cream if you are aiming for actual ketosis rather than just low carb. It has 1g of carbs per 1/4 tbsp. Those add up faster then you realize, especially if you make yourself breve lattes like me.

Crone

I had the almond flour bread in a mug thing yesterday and was pleasantly surprised
30g almond flour
10g salted butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg

mix in the mug and nuke for 90 seconds. It literally slid right out of the mug when I turned it upside down and was a viable bread/muffin alternative that tasted great still warm with some more butter. I can't wait to try some of the variants like adding jalapenos and cheese.
Did this last night and turned out fantastic! You are right, that it'd be a great base to add in other things!

Crone

Be careful with heavy cream if you are aiming for actual ketosis rather than just low carb. It has 1g of carbs per 1/4 tbsp. Those add up faster then you realize, especially if you make yourself breve lattes like me.
Umm, all the serving sizes and nutrition information that I can see is its 0.5g carb per 1 tbsp?