The Ketogenic Diet/Recipe Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Umm, all the serving sizes and nutrition information that I can see is its 0.5g carb per 1 tbsp?

Apologies, I meant 1g of carbs per tbsp. That is just rounding up because some brands are better on that than others. Most of them just say >1g per 1 tbsp. If you know for sure that the stuff you use is .5 per 1 tbsp then definitely go with that.

By the way, what brand is that? I usually just get the Great Value stuff from Walmart.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Apologies, I meant 1g of carbs per tbsp. That is just rounding up because some brands are better on that than others. Most of them just say >1g per 1 tbsp. If you know for sure that the stuff you use is .5 per 1 tbsp then definitely go with that.

By the way, what brand is that? I usually just get the Great Value stuff from Walmart.
haha, same exact brand. Walmart rules!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
Not a recipe, but pork skins are a delicious alternative to potato/corn chips and come in a variety of seasonings. Can pair with your favorite fatty dips Ken just on their own.

Also an huge fan of pork belly in general. oricing will vary by locale of course, but in my experience it has been half or less the cost of bacon (less than $3/lb in my area) and you can cut it as thick or thin as you like. I like to boil it and save what broth I don't invest for other dishes or to enjoy on its own :3

Crone

My version of those keto taco shells. Made with ground beef, mashed avocado, spinach, and cotija cheese.

20191014_210115.jpg
20191014_210542.jpg

Crone

Those are my jam. Expensive, but 3 grams per tortilla and they taste good and are pliable. Between that and that 90 second bread I'm pretty good.
Been making a ton of that 90 second bread! Have it down now I don't even need measurements I just eye it.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Those are my jam. Expensive, but 3 grams per tortilla and they taste good and are pliable. Between that and that 90 second bread I'm pretty good.

If you shop at Sam's Club, they have these that are waaaay cheaper. They are 5g net carbs per tortilla, though, but they taste great.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If you shop at Sam's Club, they have these that are waaaay cheaper. They are 5g net carbs per tortilla, though, but they taste great.

Yeah, Mission and some other company sell some that are 5g net at my local store. So the Mama Lupe ones are about 7 bucks a pack, which is 2-2.50 more than the Mission ones, and imo they are way better in addition to being lower in carbs, so it's worth it for me. May not be worth it for everyone, but imo tortillas are life so, gotta do what you gotta do.

Crone

View attachment 171804

This really helped curb a taco craving I had.

Keto Pork Rind Tortillas
  • Servings: 12 six inch tortillas
  • Time: 20 minutes
  • Difficulty: easy

Ingredients
  • 4 oz. Hot & Spicy Pork Rinds (regular work just fine, too)
  • 1 (eight oz.) package cream cheese, softened
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Method:
  1. Place pork rinds into a food processor and blitz for about 10 seconds, until they are dust.
  2. Add all other ingredients to food processor and blitz for about 45 more seconds. Until you have a nice smooth batter.
  3. Preheat an electric griddle to high. (Using a non-stick pan on the stove top would work also, I would just set the heat to medium-high)
  4. Spray cooking surface with a little spray oil (I use either coconut oil or olive oil spray) and pour 1/3 cup of batter onto griddle.
  5. Gently spread the batter as thin as you can with a rubber spatula and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
  6. Flip tortilla and continue to cook for about 45 more seconds.
  7. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
View attachment 171805
What recipe is that for the shells? And what 90 second keto bread recipe are you using?
It's from this thread.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

I had the almond flour bread in a mug thing yesterday and was pleasantly surprised
30g almond flour
10g salted butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg

mix in the mug and nuke for 90 seconds. It literally slid right out of the mug when I turned it upside down and was a viable bread/muffin alternative that tasted great still warm with some more butter. I can't wait to try some of the variants like adding jalapenos and cheese.
What recipe is that for the shells? And what 90 second keto bread recipe are you using?
Forgot to link you the keto mug bread. For conversion, I use 2 tbsp almond flour, a smidge of butter, probably like a teaspoon, and then the rest. Fucking grams. Pssh. Lol

• 1Like

Crone

Got home from work travel all week, and weighed myself, and I'm at 300.2. Started at 310.8. If all goes like it normally does, and I lose weight over night I'll be under 300 lbs for the first time since sophmore year of highschool (year 1999).

Keto fucking works man. Shit!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A word to the wise, and it may not apply or you may be already aware. But for me, when I hit target weight and went off it, my weight shot back up pretty damn fast. Not wishing to invite the contrary discussions of what promotes or doesn't weight gain, I'll just say that for me it's clear that it isn't a tool so much as a lifestyle at this point. Previously, I had viewed it more as temporary thing that would help me achieve a goal.

• 1Like

Crone

Will be keto for the Holidays this year, and so I've started to amass a few different Keto recipes. I'm really looking forward to Turkey, and the subsequent Turkey broth/soup I make.

LiquidDeath

Got these today at a local grocery store to try out. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm pretty pumped to be able to get this stuff locally now.

IMG_20191029_132825.jpg

maskedmelon

A word to the wise, and it may not apply or you may be already aware. But for me, when I hit target weight and went off it, my weight shot back up pretty damn fast. Not wishing to invite the contrary discussions of what promotes or doesn't weight gain, I'll just say that for me it's clear that it isn't a tool so much as a lifestyle at this point. Previously, I had viewed it more as temporary thing that would help me achieve a goal.

Depending on your size, you can expect to gain several pounds of glycogen when you go off keto, so you need to drop to a weight s low your target weight. If you don't like keto meal options, fasting for 48hr once a week works wonderfully for weight loss without damaging your metabolism. Its just more challenging to fast when you aren't already in ketosis

I've been on Keto for about a year now (not for weight loss) and have utilized fasts for toning several times, but now just do them because it feels freaking amazing and then I can also eat double the day after :3 if you go longer than 48hr than refeeding becomes more of an issue and it's just one more thing to manage.

• 1Like

maskedmelon

For those of you ornate limited culinary prejudice, I've a delicious cocoa recipe to share. I like foods and I like how well keto makes me feel so I don't do substitutes. I find food that works within the parameters I've established. So here it is:

1 stick of butter
2 teaspoons of unsweetened baking cocoa.
3/8 teaspoon of salt
~4-6oz of hot water

I don't measure the water, just guessed at it. This fills up a 16oz coffee cup about 3/4 to 4/5 ful. Here's what I do. I find that microwaving the butter for 1min in a paper cup melts it without making it too hot. I then stir in my salt adding 1/8 tsp at a time. I add the 2tsp of cocoa powder and mix well before adding the hot water, which will breakup any longer clumps.

This kinda tastes like an unsweetened cookie. To me it is very similar in flavor to some of those Christmas cookies that you get in tins. The vanilla ones that look like piped cake frosting, but are hard and crispy. That is probably a poor description, I will see if I can find a picture :3

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
What are yalls opinion on those shake/powder meal replacement keto products? Like Keto Chow, Ample K, etc?

They claim to be complete nutrition and they sound super convenient for people on the go, which I need due to work. They seem pricey though. Any of you use them and can share your review? I don't trust random internet reviews anymore, they all seem to be inside jobs.

Also, its not keto but does anyone use Huel?

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

What are yalls opinion on those shake/powder meal replacement keto products? Like Keto Chow, Ample K, etc?

They claim to be complete nutrition and they sound super convenient for people on the go, which I need due to work. They seem pricey though. Any of you use them and can share your review? I don't trust random internet reviews anymore, they all seem to be inside jobs.

Also, its not keto but does anyone use Huel?

My opinion? I've never tried them, but if it would be helpful to you and your routine then try them out. If you feel good on them, you stay in ketosis, and your blood work is still good then great.

A few years ago I had a big throw down with an asshole poster on this board about keto vs other things, and even though he is a gigantic prick I have come around to his way of thinking after a lot of research and self-experimentation. The best diet for you is one that makes you feel good, that keeps you healthy, and you can stick to forever. If it doesn't meet all of those requirements then it will never work and it is different for everybody. So I think the best advice you can get is to just keep doing radical self-experimentation until you find what works for you.

One of my friends just cannot be assed to stick to a real diet now that he is 40 so he fasts two days a week. That balances his calories out and keeps him at a level of health and fitness that he can live with. My own practice is low-carb as often as possible and fasting for at least 16 hours a day (so at most an 8 hour feeding window a day). I have 2 small children, a wife that doesn't like low-carb, and a lot of family obligations that make it very difficult to do keto now, so I do what I can and make sure to work out as often as possible and get my yearly physical to ensure my numbers are good.