The King Henry Tapes (By Me!)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Severe case of the flu pushed me back a couple weeks, but back at it. Beta read should start sometime around the 12th...I hope! If you're already on the list I'll email you, if you'd like to join the beta read team for some typo hunting help that is greatly appreciated, send me an email or just pm me on the board!

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Copies sent. Thanks again for the help, guys!

For the rest: release will be somewhere around March 23 to March 26. Be back with a link when the book goes live.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Fuuuuuuuuuuck yes. was just hitting up amazon looking for something to read and figured "lets check the FOH book thread". Life...saved.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Bought, as always. Still haven't finished #6. I know, I know. Read more, game less.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Haven't finished yet and will hold off on a review/comments till then but this line had me LOL "Tyson wasn't an expert on towers...well, outside of Ubisoft games".

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Finished the book. Gotta say I wasnt a fan. Really felt like 90% of the book was Eva and Tyson having internal monologues or something. Past books it was a 1 day front to back read. This one took me a few days and it was a struggle. Still love your work man and looking forward to the next.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
The characters were largely isolated and in situations where they couldnt have a conversation, so they had no one to play off of...hence a lot of inner monologue. Although, can we consider Eva a monologue? It's pretty crowded in there.

Anyway, my self-critical assessment of the book is that Eva rocked, Tyson floundered and likely won't return as a POV--especially won't return to headline another novel or novella for sure--I alao set up what I had to set up and Strike Alpha has some interesting possibility in the future. I still like Isabel, she's one of my favorites to write. In the end...it's not even in the same league as FM6, but then how could it be? I suppose in a way Assault served as a nice sacrifice to sky high expecations.

As for the next side novel, it's extremely dialogue and character heavy, lots of feels and lots of jokes, but I can't promise there won't be the occasional King Henry monolgue rant. Like on babies, who do they think they are?

I've also started woking on FM7, so more on that later too.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar

Sorry if you touched on this- what do you use to type? I had a self published person I know ( )

He used a program called Scrivener - Scrivener | Literature & Latte

Any input on these types of programs?

I am very behind my "yearly" project - my small RPG via RPGMaker MX and the transcription and publishing of my grandmothers memoir were all "last year" and now...they are this years... I wanted to start on my YA novel I have been piecing and piecing together actually started in more than emailing myself idea tidbits.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
I just use MS word 2007. Yeah, I'm boring.

I've found having a separate laptop JUST for writing, even with the WiFi disabled, is a lot more important than anything else to my writing output. Second step is putting down the game controller and leaving the laptop open, heh.

Of course God of War is coming out, so... :(

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just use MS word 2007. Yeah, I'm boring.

I've found having a separate laptop JUST for writing, even with the WiFi disabled, is a lot more important than anything else to my writing output. Second step is putting down the game controller and leaving the laptop open, heh.

Of course God of War is coming out, so... :(

Didn't realize this came out. Just bought! I'll probably burn through it tonight. But always a pleasure reading your stuff.

I do miss your previous lol covers though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar

Just finished it. I do have a bit of feedback on it though. Great stuff and I look forward to the next one!
  • Isabel is a really amazing character. I always like when she's around because she has a lot of complexity. I understand that being the Thousandface, when she takes someones body she also understands their general thoughts and personality. Which has a huge impact on her own psyche?
    • Given that she became the Maximus sometime during school (at least). Why did nobody in the Corpusmancer school even try to take her aside and help her? A lot of her problems seem to stem from using the power of the Thousandface to take someone elses form and not know how to deal with the psychological impact of it? She was just left totally alone in this state to get fucked with by Catherine?
    • This makes the treatment of Maximus (Maximi?) perplexing. While KH's Maximus status is pretty tame at the moment as he didn't have a crazy disparity in power compared to his teacher. Having no mentors for Valentine or Isabel makes less sense with how incredibly destructive Valentine could be and they just lucked out on her intentionally making every effort to suppress it or how personally damaging being the Thousandface could be.
  • Obadiah Pane is just made way more awesome by this and I am sad that he's gone. Despite his faults and ambitions. It's pretty fucked up (in an awesome way) that at least he was doing something to save Wilders from guaranteed death to Anima Madness when compared to the greater Mancy World. Even if it was just so he could draw Anima from them for his artifice and experiments.
    • I did always think that his abduction of Valentine's sister was just convoluted. For as careful as he was up until he knew of the World Breaker it just seemed completely out of character to kidnap someone high profile like her. The dude had outsmarted everyone for years and takes on a huge risk like that that was the vehicle to his own demise?
  • I personally enjoyed Tyson's perspective more than Eva. Tyson is a good. Normal kind of dude to relate to. Although he quips about vidya games a bit much. Eva's constant Shadow Emo Talk is bleh.
  • The Three Queens seem like a huge downgrade in villains. They were Catty Mean Girls bitches and one with major daddy issues and seem far below the caliber of Paine. I hope I am wrong!

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
1. Isabel is very much one of my favs to write. I would however caution you on assuming all TF would manifest like Isabel or that Isabel's situation is purely the result of her being the TF. Our exploration of Maximi has only just begun.

2-3. First, one of the themes of the series is about institutional malaise and the failures of an overburdened system. Isabel and Catherine are very much failures of the situation. Second, there is a bit of unreliable narrator in that you're only getting the parts of the story King Henry bothers to tell you and the only what he experienced. Every Ultra at the school had as much interaction with various staff members as KH, there's a lot of testing and therapy going on he glosses over, etc.

4-5. Paine is broken, he uses evil means, but is he wrong in his ultimate aims? Even with Paine gone, it's a question KH is going to struggle with going forward.

As far as Christmas, the Curator was already flexing his muscle by driving out vampires, etc. so he was moving in the direction of being more visible and starting to take on the system. Second, Conan Sapa was paid for goods delivered and yeah, overstepped just a tad. Third, if KH doesn't travel to another Realm and make a deal with a dragon then Paine gets away with it. How was Paine supposed to anticipate that? Fourth, yeah I was still figuring all this writing thing out back then and sometimes your plot is a little more forced than you want it, still am figuring it out really ;)

6. Tyson is very passive and I write him as having anxiety disorders, so obviously that grates on some people, especially those who prefer punching and explosions. I very much played it up this go around too. Will admit that writing a chunk of the book with the flu probably didn't help.

7. There will be more developments in the villain department, I assure you :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sharinel

Golden Squire
New novella release date from Nebs blog page :-

The Glassbreaker Goes Home (FM6.75): Release Window = August 20th to August 27th

Can't wait!

Sharinel

Golden Squire
FM 6.75 released - Amazon

Really good slice of life showing KH and family sitting down to a meal. What could possibly go wrong?

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar again Gratz on all the success and recent updates/releases etc.

Question: do you have a line a copy editor? Do you pay for them? What is the cost (in general) for a full novel line and copy editing?