The Last Kingdom

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Season 3 really ramped up the quality of the character development and infused some real pathos in the relationship of Alfred and Utred. It scratches the Vikings itch and is just downright fun.
It really was. I attribute it to the fact that this is first season that it was exclusively produced by Netflix. Netlfix didn't get involved until they signed on as co-production partners for the second season.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
As much as Alfred's wife (Aelswith?) is made out to be the bad guy in the end of S3, it makes perfect sense especially in the context of the time period. She sees Utred as heathen, basically the devil or a servant of the devil despite all his accomplishments. It is incomprehensible to her (probably most christians) that this creature of a man is even allowed to walk among them. It's actually some minor miracle that Alfred absolves Utred in the end considering he's just as devout as she is.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
As much as Alfred's wife (Aelswith?) is made out to be the bad guy in the end of S3, it makes perfect sense especially in the context of the time period. She sees Utred as heathen, basically the devil or a servant of the devil despite all his accomplishments. It is incomprehensible to her (probably most christians) that this creature of a man is even allowed to walk among them. It's actually some minor miracle that Alfred absolves Utred in the end considering he's just as devout as she is.
Definitely, but Alfred knows deep down that he wouldn't even be king with Uhtred's intervention multiple times. I love how he struggled with Uhtred being perceived as an instrument of God, even though he's a pagan

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I think Uhtred was what Alfred truly wanted to be....he envied him, which is why he despised him...he trusted the care of his heir to him and him only...because he knew only Ultred could make a man out of him...

Yesterday, I finished watching The Vikings up to the current episode and boy....it sucks.
I hate the flatout boring characters, stupid "supernatural" bullshit which has come to dominate the theme of the show in the latter episodes, and just downright stupid chain of events like "I repelled an entire army because I dueled this dude..."

I can't help but compare these two shows...because it is largely set in the same time period, describing the same historical characters in their own way... Alfred was straight up chump boy in the Vikings...

Similarity...
maxresdefault.jpg
christopher-mintz-plasse-mustache-kick-ass-2.png

The Pitched Battle was just the worst in this season's Vikings...There is some creativity to what you see in The Last Kingdom, but in the VIkings, it is straight up pitched battle and some fucking fire around the battle. Oh, the catapult was fucking lame. Where was the shield wall? Where is the cavalry flanking charge? Who planned this fucking battle?

Fuck
I hate the Vikings.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Last Kingdom is just a great show in general. One of those top tier shows ala Fargo, The Terror, Better Call Saul, etc. I love the setting/time period, but you can tell from watching the show that you could take the same actors, directors, and production crew and make a great show in any time period.

The characters are written with depth and personality, and the actors know how to bring those things out. While they allow their characters to grow and change over time, they never pull the stunt where someone does something wildly out of character for a plot- convenient purpose.

I think the dialogue is my favorite part. They completely avoid a lot of the trite and tired period bullshit you see with most other shows in this vein. You can tell the writers put a ton of effort into coming up with thoughtful and realistic dialogue rather than just dialing it in with trope-speak.

I could go on because I really like this show but I won't

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Starting up this show. Not bad so far, main character is loosely based on Uhtred of Derbyshire in the Danelaw and Uhtred the Bold. Have checked out historical fiction like Kingsbridge. Thinking of reading Cornwell's saxon novels.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Shit. I saw the thread and was hoping I would be able to curl up early and watch me some Kingdom

xzi

Mouthbreather
The first season was so fucking slow and boring to me, 2 got a tiny bit better because Alfred is such a phenomenal character (and actor), but holy shit bois after finally finishing Season 3 I'm stoked on this show now.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So glad this show is back. Aethelflaed has some nice titties.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
The first season was so fucking slow and boring to me, 2 got a tiny bit better because Alfred is such a phenomenal character (and actor), but holy shit bois after finally finishing Season 3 I'm stoked on this show now.
Yah first season took me 3 attempts to get through, but I really like this show. I binged the newest season yesterday. God damn though the names are ridiculus, I can't keep track of the different elfthem, elfhard, aelfurdump different characters I feel like too many have similar names have the time It takes me a minute to realize who they are talking about. Also Uthred the main guy literally gets fucked over so many times, at some point I want him to win big and fuck em all.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
A just so you don't think I am exaggerating here are the different people all with similar names.
Aelswith
Aethelwold
Aetherelfaed
Aethelred
Aldhelm
Aethelhelm
Aelfric
Aelfwynn

Its god damn exhausting

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
A just so you don't think I am exaggerating here are the different people all with similar names.
Aelswith
Aethelwold
Aetherelfaed
Aethelred
Aldhelm
Aethelhelm
Aelfric
Aelfwynn

Its god damn exhausting

I mean you can't blame the writers even since these are the historical names of these characters.

Also fuck Brida, so tired of her shit.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Aelswith
Aethelwold
Aetherelfaed
Aethelred
Aldhelm
Aethelhelm
Aelfric
Aelfwynn

Its god damn exhausting
I believe the "Aethel" prefix denotes royalty.

• 1Like