The Last of Us

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Airborne doesn't have to mean it travels further than a few feet. Which is what I assumed it was like in the game, localized spore clouds. It's fungi so it's too heavy of a particle to float too far from the source. The actors in masks being ass is the most likely reason why these aren't in the show.

Episode 1 has me hopeful this won't suck woke dick. I am often disappointed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The fungus obviously can spread by way of direct contact. Are they also air born? If air born, how would anyone be safe? I guess it would be physically difficult to stop a grown adult from getting close to you unless you were prepared for it.
it'll be some kind of big reveal to the cast when they fall into a big mound of spores and everyone is scrambling to put on their mask, and like joels mask broke from the fall and ellie is like, "here take mine, i'm cool"

Juvarisx

Florida
Weird I thought it was still airborne + spread by tentacles in the victims. If not how did the grandma get it sitting in her chair? They didnt mention the corrupted food supply from the game so I thought they might be skipping that.

edit. I am an idiot they hinted at it several times, they fed the old lady bread just prior, Joel specifically mentioning Atkins (no yeast / flour) , no birthday cake, explains the planes crashing as victims were being turned via airplane food which was more like actual food in 2003. I wonder if they will differentiate the carriers on their trip out west food vs direct infection / bite.

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They also noted that Gandma had been to the city, which is where the outbreak for that area had apparently started.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great first episode, not sure what I could complain about that is actually worth it.

Maybe it's because I played and beat the game but I felt like the preview of the rest of the season did a bad job of actually keeping anything a surprise, felt like other than "do they survive", they gave everything away.

spronk

FPS noob
I enjoyed it, but if you played the game you know everything that is gonna happen so its less immersive a setting. Good casting, forgot Anna Torv was in this but then when I saw her as Tessa I almost yelled out FUCK YEAH! Its fucking Agent Olivia Dunham from Fringe!!!

Joels brother seems a bigger story plot here, Tommy was in the game but I don't remember him being a driving factor for Joel like that. I don't remember though.

Great first episode, definitely got me hooked for the rest of the series which will end 100% at season 1 and there will not exist a season 2 because TLOU2 never shipped, its sad. It is crazy how if you just fucking stick with the source material and don't change random shit, you can make something decent. So wild!

• 1Worf

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Never played the games. Thought the outbreak stuff was more interesting than the 20 years later stuff.

Just saw some Tiktok vid about stages of infection, now I am wondering whether I should ignore any "lore" videos and save it for the show

Fadaar

That guy
Never played the games. Thought the outbreak stuff was more interesting than the 20 years later stuff.

Just saw some Tiktok vid about stages of infection, now I am wondering whether I should ignore any "lore" videos and save it for the show

if i were you i'd just blind watch

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I enjoyed it, but if you played the game you know everything that is gonna happen so its less immersive a setting. Good casting, forgot Anna Torv was in this but then when I saw her as Tessa I almost yelled out FUCK YEAH! Its fucking Agent Olivia Dunham from Fringe!!!

Joels brother seems a bigger story plot here, Tommy was in the game but I don't remember him being a driving factor for Joel like that. I don't remember though.

Great first episode, definitely got me hooked for the rest of the series which will end 100% at season 1 and there will not exist a season 2 because TLOU2 never shipped, its sad. It is crazy how if you just fucking stick with the source material and don't change random shit, you can make something decent. So wild!

He wasn’t a driving factor at all for Joel leaving Boston in the game.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I enjoyed it, but if you played the game you know everything that is gonna happen so its less immersive a setting.
The hell? You can say that about any tv show/movie based on an existing story. That's a bizarre gripe about a good show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The hell? You can say that about any tv show/movie based on an existing story. That's a bizarre gripe about a good show.

Yeah I’ve played this and dead space 3 times and I still got the fun goosebumps I did playing. Probably because I fucking love anything survival horror.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob

i didn't mean it as a gripe, i just meant it must be amazing going in blind to this, game of thrones, etc. I was pretty amazed at sandman.

• 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
In the game, the soldier at the end of the opening sequence tells whoever is giving him orders that there is a little girl there after being given the order. I didnt like that they took it out of the show, it gave the situation an even graver feel while somewhat humanizing that soldier. Also why is Sarah black and not blonde? And worse yet, why is Sarah this independent girl boss taking care of Joel who is a total fuck up? Oh thats right, I know why. Other that these, there arent any complaints yet.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
i didn't mean it as a gripe, i just meant it must be amazing going in blind to this, game of thrones, etc. I was pretty amazed at sandman.

My wife watched this with me who has never played a video game in her life including this one, she was fucking lost as to what was going on after the flash forward in time. They did a shit job explaining any baseline factions or what the fuck was going on. So unless you played the game you were lost so that doesn’t make a good TV series.

I thought the casting of Ellie fucking sucked as well as Sarah and the only part I enjoyed was the section in 2003. Guarantee you this goes down the shitter very quickly

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
In the game, the soldier at the end of the opening sequence tells whoever is giving him orders that there is a little girl there after being given the order. I didnt like that they took it out of the show, it gave the situation an even graver feel while somewhat humanizing that soldier. Also why is Sarah black and not blonde? And worse yet, why is Sarah this independent girl boss taking care of Joel who is a total fuck up? Oh thats right, I know why. Other that these, there arent any complaints yet.
I didn't get the read that Joel was a "total fuck up". He was taking care of the household and she was taking care of him. He was never shown as incompetent or needing correction from Sarah. I'm pretty sensitive to race swaps, but I think this is the most innocuous example in recent memory. The race swap changed absolutely nothing about Sarah's character.

• 3Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My wife watched this with me who has never played a video game in her life including this one, she was fucking lost as to what was going on after the flash forward in time. They did a shit job explaining any baseline factions or what the fuck was going on. So unless you played the game you were lost so that doesn’t make a good TV series.

I thought the casting of Ellie fucking sucked as well as Sarah and the only part I enjoyed was the section in 2003. Guarantee you this goes down the shitter very quickly
It's fair that those of that have played the game are familiar with the 2 factions, but I don't think they made this episode overly dense with background/setting the stage. If anything I felt like it dragged a little, but it's not obvious to me what I'd trim. The 2003 section was tense as fuck, but maybe it wouldn't have been if I didn't know granny was turning into a zombie?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wait I didn’t get that at all and my BS meter runs at a 11. I just took it that he’s a single hardworking stiff with a dead wife and raised his daughter to being independent and help out. I just felt like the daughter was trying to go out of her way for a her dads birthday.

• 3Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I didn't get the read that Joel was a "total fuck up". He was taking care of the household and she was taking care of him. He was never shown as incompetent or needing correction from Sarah. I'm pretty sensitive to race swaps, but I think this is the most innocuous example in recent memory. The race swap changed absolutely nothing about Sarah's character.
Wait I didn’t get that at all and my BS meter runs at a 11. I just took it that he’s a single hardworking stiff with a dead wife and raised his daughter to being independent and help out. I just felt like the daughter was trying to go out of her way for a her dads birthday.
I got the sense that he was a bit of a buffoon and that she needs to do things for him. As for the race swap, its more of "but why?" things. But we all know why.

• 2Like