The Last of Us

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The girl who played Sarah was amazing. Who cares what the fuck race she is.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I didn't get the read that Joel was a "total fuck up". He was taking care of the household and she was taking care of him. He was never shown as incompetent or needing correction from Sarah. I'm pretty sensitive to race swaps, but I think this is the most innocuous example in recent memory. The race swap changed absolutely nothing about Sarah's character.
I hated that they did a race swap for Sarah but honestly I think she did a great job at the character. Hate Pedro as a person but he's always a solid actor and does Joel well. I'm with Utnayan Utnayan though and wouldn't be surprised if this goes down the shitter as the season progresses.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My wife watched this with me who has never played a video game in her life including this one, she was fucking lost as to what was going on after the flash forward in time. They did a shit job explaining any baseline factions or what the fuck was going on.

Has she never watched The Walking Dead or any other post apocalypse type show?

I have not played the game but it's fairly obvious that it's based in a sanctuary city administered/controlled/protected by some form of Government agency, and that there's a set of freedom fighters. Anyone with knowledge of post apocalypse stories can fill in the blanks with educated guesses.

The only part that wasn't so clear was who the people holding Anna Torv were.

• 1Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The girl who played Sarah was amazing. Who cares what the fuck race she is.
Yeah I normally hate that shit, but at least she played the role really well. Hate when it’s some ugly ass diversity hire that can’t manage to form a coherent sentence through the Ebonics.

• 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 3 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
By and large, GOT last two seasons notwithstanding, HBO usually does a pretty damn good job. They're woke as hell, but their adaptations are pretty reliable. Thought this was good. Annoyed at race swaps, yes. But I thought Pedro was convincing as a Joel. Too bad we can't have white heroes, but he did a decent job. They didn't emasculate him. The relationship seemed one where a dad and daughter bonded after a tragedy ( mom died? she's never really mentioned in the games or what happened) and the daughter tries to help take care of him as he takes care of her. Girl as Sara was pretty good, but the most unbelievable thing was race swapping Joel to hispanic guy and him marrying a black woman? Lol..those two groups are more racist against each other than whites against anyone. I'm assuming that Sara has always been his biological daughter.

Wife liked it, but she watched me play the first game all the way through. She had forgotten the title though so it took her until the run through town to remember. Anyway, that was my one TV show for the week other than an errant seinfeld episode. Back to ignoring 95% of entertainment made today.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
I don't get it either. If the actor is good and it doesn't change the character, then why not.

That was why Sandman was made how it was and I was fine with how it played out. Reality is Joel's wife in the game was never fleshed out at all so they could have her be anyone, and they picked a very talented young actress to play a minor part and she did a fantastic job so I was fine with it.

Caeden

I'm way more offended at shit like Valkyrie or Heimdall. Besides, everyone knew that characters would be race swapped. Druckman is a "hold her hand during it" level cuck.

• 1Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Never played the game since I'm not a console person, but always wanted to (although hearing about TLOU2 kind of soured that). Kind of feel like I can't read this thread though because of all the fags who want to talk about the game and will inevitably spoil it (I've only been skimming a lot of posts cause I can tell it's happened already).

Anyway, the first 30-35 minutes or whatever was good shit. Oddly, I thought the kid actor in that was really good and kept thinking, "for once I don't hate a child actor." But then I realized Ellie is the main kid and...I'm not sure about that one. I'd agree that the 2023 stuff seemed to drag a bit more, but it still seemed better than 99% of TV these days. Didn't have any issues following anything like some of you said.

It's definitely one of those things where I want to say to my wife, "See, video games have surpassed movies and tv shows for storytelling. They're on a whole different level now." Since she's kind of one of those wives who tolerate my gaming but I think secretly hates it. I'm about 50 hours into Death Stranding (thanks Epic Games), and I mentioned to her that it's all a bunch of actors and has Norman Reedus, so it seems like good timing to drop that line about storytelling.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

The Ellie actress just seemed wrong. Her know she was a fan fave in GoT but she’s a weird looking kid.

• 7Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 7 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never played the game or even know what it was about other than some apocalyptic thing. So this was really good and I have no complaints. The Elle character is annoying as fuck but I get that’s the shtick. Looking forward to more episodes.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Two pages of discussion after the first episode... I imagine a lot of it is bitching but what a great start. I had my hopes low, too.

• 1Worf

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Sony sucks so hard. The Last of Us Part 1 is still $70. But if you sub to PS plus preimum they will give you a free trial of the game. This show made me want to replay the game on PS5 but not for $70

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I watched videos and it’s barely noticeably better than the last ps4 remake. I’m not buying the game for a third time.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
My wife watched this with me who has never played a video game in her life including this one, she was fucking lost as to what was going on after the flash forward in time. They did a shit job explaining any baseline factions or what the fuck was going on. So unless you played the game you were lost so that doesn’t make a good TV series.

I thought the casting of Ellie fucking sucked as well as Sarah and the only part I enjoyed was the section in 2003. Guarantee you this goes down the shitter very quickly
This is somewhat true in my case. Never played the game, loved the first half with all hell breaking loose but I felt a bit of the same when the time jump happened. I just assumed it will all play out and i'll get the info I need to understand. I did wish there was a bit more info on factions laid out early though.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's definitely one of those things where I want to say to my wife, "See, video games have surpassed movies and tv shows for storytelling. They're on a whole different level now." Since she's kind of one of those wives who tolerate my gaming but I think secretly hates it. I'm about 50 hours into Death Stranding (thanks Epic Games), and I mentioned to her that it's all a bunch of actors and has Norman Reedus, so it seems like good timing to drop that line about storytelling.

Don't be a Rajaah Rajaah by trying to get your wife into watching you play games.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd never try to get her to watch me play games. Several years ago I did try to find some we could play together, but I eventually gave up cause she's not super interested in it.