The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I never really liked the Colbert Report. The satire is so overplayed even though he does it the best.

I think he'll be an excellent successor to Letterman.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
First CR episode I ever saw sold me with this:
cr_02085_06_col_v6.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have links to him hosting an interview while not in character?
Well, he's always "in character" in that he's out there performing, just like any other host. But like I said, pretty much any entertainment type person where he's not pushing any sort of agenda for or against them.

James Franco - James Franco - The Colbert Report - Video Clip | Comedy Central

That's pretty much a typical late night style interview.

Sidenote on the Tolkien stuff at the end: Colbert got to visit the set of The Hobbit during filming and he beat the resident Tolkien expert at Tolkien trivia.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The Colbert segments where he's out interviewing congressmen or covering specific things on-site are my favorite. For example, the bits he did about the Denver airport conspiracy theories and/or the gay mayor of some super redneck city (forget the name) are both hilarious.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Colbert doesn't need to be his character to be funny, but it's still an awesome character that I'm going to miss.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
He's come a long goddamn way from his early work on the Daily Show and voice acting on Adult Swim.

Impressive, really.

spronk

FPS noob
feels like there are way too many talk shows out there, and each year they keep adding more. i watch the daily show the next day to get a quick 20 minute recap of the days news, wish they woulda gone a different direction and done a panel late night show or a rotating host kind of show.

I'd watch the shit out of a late night show that had Louis CK hosting one week, Nathan Fielder the next, Jon Hamm, Amy Schumer, Key and Peele, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Limbaugh_sl said:
"CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American values [and] conservatives. Now, it's just wide out in the open. What this hire means is a redefinition of what is funny and a redefinition of what is comedy."
Haha, this reads like a tribute to the Colbert Report.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think what is going to happen is that Colbert will create a new "character" for this show. He'll shift his act at least somewhat, as that's what the gig demands, but he'll still have an on air personae that is not necessarily the "real" Colbert. He acts a certain way to accomplish what he needs to for the show on which he is working. Nothing wrong with that. I think he'll be an adequate replacement to Letterman, but I thought Ferguson or Louis CK would have been, too. I don't think Louis CK could have done it very long term, though. I think he needs more change than a show like that would offer him. Would have had a great couple of years, though.

But it is an interesting thought - have four hosts, have them rotate weeks each month. Could be interesting. Although, what got Letterman his long-term audience is how consistently he did things. He would start doing some bit, and you'd think, "What the heck is this?" And then, three weeks later, you'd be saying, "Hey, where is that bit? He's been doing it every day..." Part of Letterman's charm - do something until it is funny. Takes guts.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I think Colbert could be a great choice to replace Letterman. While Letterman always had "stupid" skits and shit (stupid human tricks, will it float, etc.), in terms of his interviewing he has always been one of the more intellectual of the late night hosts. Colbert isn't just a funny man; he's pretty damn smart (as opposed to Fallon or Leno, for example, who aren't stupid but I wouldn't consider 'intellectual') so I think he could be a good fit. I'd have been happy with Jon Stewart for the same reason.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm willing to bet Jon Stewart was approached. I don't think he wants to give up what he's got. His ratings are great, and he's probably a lot more in charge of that show than he would be the Late Show.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why are people mentioning Louis CK? He's one of my favorite comedians and maybe I just know him for his standup and sitcom but has he ever interviewed anyone ever?