The Leftovers

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I was fine with the conclusion of the departure itself. They didn't talk at all about what the fuck was up with the multiple resurrections of the main character or what was up with wherever he "went" when he died.

Also, if Nora really did crossover and then get the guy to build a machine so she could come back, why would the people who lost 98% of the population not also want to come back?

Only 3 seasons so I don't feel like I wasted my time. The acting was fantastic and I liked Theroux. Just not satisfied overall. I never watched past Lost S1 btw.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The viewer is supposed to decide if Theroux actually went somewhere or it was just in his mind. Only dead people show up in the place he goes but none of the actions there affect the real world. I think it was his way of dealing with his own shit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I interpret that as none of the death stuff was real. Theroux was just a deeply fucked up person. There's another interpretation of this show where that stuff was real and has some meaning beyond Theroux's character's internal struggles.

It's a good thought exercise to try and work through in your head, why would those 98% not want to come back? What would society even be like if that had happened? How does a person react to that, or a family? There's also the chance that no one would trust anyone with a solution to that problem, which must seem so huge on their world. Similar to how Nora and Kevin didn't trust the scientists on this side of it. But I think it's more interesting if it's more than that.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I interpret that as none of the death stuff was real. Theroux was just a deeply fucked up person. There's another interpretation of this show where that stuff was real and has some meaning beyond Theroux's character's internal struggles.

It's a good thought exercise to try and work through in your head, why would those 98% not want to come back? What would society even be like if that had happened? How does a person react to that, or a family? There's also the chance that no one would trust anyone with a solution to that problem, which must seem so huge on their world. Similar to how Nora and Kevin didn't trust the scientists on this side of it. But I think it's more interesting if it's more than that.

Ya this show really hit the sweet spot for leaving enough stuff open to interpretation while still ending in a satisfying way.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kevin’s dead dreaming had to be real. Cause if he managed to only dream dead people, then how could Kevin know that Michael’s grandfather killed himself AFTER passing out from drinking the poison? I think Kevin’s dead dreaming was not supposed to be real but this is just a plot hole.

Another big plot hole is the 3 girls who joined the guilty remnant in season 2. I don’t buy 3 young girls joining that cult for no reason.

Why did Patti kill herself? We assume she did because she knew something that we and Kevin didn’t know. This led to the mystery of Patti the ghost in season 2. But if real Patti doesnt become Patti the ghost (i.e., it’s all in Kevin’s head), then Patti just killed herself to hurt Kevin legally? That doesn’t sound like Patti to be honest.

What was the point of baby Lily???

Overall this show is like a 6/10. Lots of highs for the character acting, emotions, and speeches. Lots of lows because of how fucking slow it can be and the goddamn grief in this show is pervasive.

There are many better TV shows, to name a few: Babylon 5, The Wire, Halt and Catch Fire, True Detective S1. This one falls far short of those great ones.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Kevin’s dead dreaming had to be real. Cause if he managed to only dream dead people, then how could Kevin know that Michael’s grandfather killed himself AFTER passing out from drinking the poison? I think Kevin’s dead dreaming was not supposed to be real but this is just a plot hole.

Another big plot hole is the 3 girls who joined the guilty remnant in season 2. I don’t buy 3 young girls joining that cult for no reason.

Why did Patti kill herself? We assume she did because she knew something that we and Kevin didn’t know. This led to the mystery of Patti the ghost in season 2. But if real Patti doesnt become Patti the ghost (i.e., it’s all in Kevin’s head), then Patti just killed herself to hurt Kevin legally? That doesn’t sound like Patti to be honest.

What was the point of baby Lily???

Overall this show is like a 6/10. Lots of highs for the character acting, emotions, and speeches. Lots of lows because of how fucking slow it can be and the goddamn grief in this show is pervasive.

There are many better TV shows, to name a few: Babylon 5, The Wire, Halt and Catch Fire, True Detective S1. This one falls far short of those great ones.
The Leftovers was done by the same fool as Lost. So, there you go.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I would had this... after Lost... I felt betrayed by the people that wrote it... above all I had listened to their podcasts and shit.. and truly felt betrayed.
I swore that I would never ever consider anything from anyone that worked on Lost
But I can say this... this show did everything right that Lost did wrong, I don't regret anything at all from watching it all the way through.
Its a great show.
If you feel the way I felt... give it a chance.

• 1Garbage

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I would had this... after Lost... I felt betrayed by the people that wrote it... above all I had listened to their podcasts and shit.. and truly felt betrayed.
I swore that I would never ever consider anything from anyone that worked on Lost
But I can say this... this show did everything right that Lost did wrong, I don't regret anything at all from watching it all the way through.
Its a great show.
If you feel the way I felt... give it a chance.
Nah, nice try Lindelof but I am good.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
What are your main points against this show?
And I am laughing... because I was 100% against him and jj abrams and Lieber... really.. anyone that touched Lost I could give one shit about... I felt betrayed!

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Lets get one the same page. I too was disappointed with Lost. That's why I swore never to watch anything that anything to do with them.
But I meant the Leftovers.
Which I loved.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My points about this show is that its made by a hack who can eat a dick. I will not give him any of my precious time.

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
My points about this show is that its made by a hack who can eat a dick. I will not give him any of my precious time.
ok, you are free to feel anyway you want to.
I am also free to feel anyway I want to.
And whenever you feel like being objective about the whole thing... here I am.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
ok, you are free to feel anyway you want to.
I am also free to feel anyway I want to.
And whenever you feel like being objective about the whole thing... here I am.
I didnt tell you how to feel about it.

I am objective. Lindolf is a faggot who will never get any of my time, this is an undisputed fact.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
so that is the person... we got that. I feel the same way.
How about the show?
Or are you the kind of SJW that just cancels anything that has any name that once hurt you or some other sex you are protective of?
Can you tell the difference?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
so that is the person... we got that. I feel the same way.
How about the show?
Or are you the kind of SJW that just cancels anything that has any name that once hurt you or some other sex you are protective of?
Can you tell the difference?
The fuck? Are you fucking retarded? The hell is wrong with you?

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
You are correct, maybe I am retarded.
Can you explain to my retard self... like explain as if I was five... whatever your point is?