The Leftovers

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed the season 3 opener...I'm hopeful for a strong final season.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought season 2 was great tv. Fully on board for season 3, although I'll probably just save up and binge it when its done.

• 1Like

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am familiar with the story line but never really watched this. I caught last night's episode. Wow that was intense, loved the first scene.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, that was great. I loved that and I thought the episode itself was great. Usually I can't stand Matt but he was great in this.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This show becomes pretty amazing once you realize that they aren't going to explain any part of the Departure and that this show is simply how people, both individuals and communities, reacted to the world in its aftermath.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This show is in my top 10. It's pretty hated on here though.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Brand

Molten Core Raider
The end of last night with Frasier's distant relation getting loose was good solid fun.

Check me on this, Yahweh was at the well and in the hotel too, wasn't he?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't remember seeing him. Normally the internet would be moist with all the nerdspooge if that were the case and I haven't seen anything.

I didn't like the book when I read it, but I think that for whatever reason I expected resolution of some kind. I'm much more willing to accept the show than I was the book. And going into it knowing there will be no resolution makes it better, somehow.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This latest episode was pretty brutal. These people have all just lost it.

• 1Like

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. My fears that they will not end it are falling away...As is the cast.

Oh yeah, Yahweh was in hotel and at the bridge...Same character. He is also mentioned in season 1 on the news as the "Man who came back to life".

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I thought the finale was great. I think it really put a nice bow on the story. Loved the reveal too. Very simple but gut wrenching.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
It was just about the best ending you could expect. I'm glad it wasn't easy, but the end was satisfying.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It also shows that Lindelof can field a staff capable of successfully ending a mystery based show. This bodes well for his future endeavors.

• 1Picard

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My wife heard good things about the finale, so we tried to watch the first episode. Made it about 40 minutes before we said fuck it.

Then I read through this entire thread. Seems like almost no one liked it, and half the ones who did I have little actual respect for their opinions on anything based on posts in other sections.

In fact, you can tell this is a shit show when there's literally no posts week to week. They were all after the first or last episode of the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Season 1 is the only one where anyone talked about it, and it was all about how shit it was. What a joke.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The finale was really good. I like how they dealt with it, I just expected the science shit to be a hoax.

Overall, I really like this show. They took Perrota's book, which wasn't great, and gave it room to breathe in a super character-focused storyline. I like that they left just enough mystery not to fall into that "explain everything until it's boring" trap that shows sometimes do. Good stuff.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Really? I wasnt trally satisfied.

Im fine with them leaving it ambiguous to whether or not Nora's story was True. Maybe she went and came back, feeling too much time had passed to find Kevin. OR maybe its a lie, she didnt go and has been hiding out not being ready and trying to run from him.

But I just didnt get what changed in the end.

If the only reason she didnt seek him out was it was too much time....When he found her wouldn't she be happy? She would know he never stopped looking and it hadnt been too much time. But why would she run and be mad her found her?

And if shes been laying low all those years, all it takes for her to move on and get back together was him believing her story?

Just felt off. I loved the idea of her story. And it might make me a pussy but I legit cried twice. I was a bit drunk and it hit me harder than normal. Once when Matt was talking about being scared his son might grow up and forget his face and voice if he died, and once when Kevin told the story about how for all the years (However many it was) he spent 2 weeks of vacation in Australia looking for her. All those lost years is just sad.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah man, Matt's speech was brutal.

I get it, they were all fucked up and damaged people before. But, assuming Nora's story was true, to go through all that and come back, I can totally see how she would shut everyone out like that. I think she was happy to see him, she did go to the wedding, I think she was just freaked out because it had been so long and he was acting so weird.

I never considered that Nora may have lied until later. It's interesting to consider that interpretation. I think she was telling the truth, partly because I watched the "behind the scenes" thing after and partly because I just like that story better. But it's interesting to think about.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think it being true is the better ending as well. Brutal too. She finally finds them and sees they are happy without her. That they moved on like she never could.

I do like the idea of her changing her mind last second. Sitting in the orb and imagining that story as a possible and backing out. In reality they were just melting people. Because if it was real someone else surely would have come back over and t he world would find out. Not everyone in the alt world would have been happy.

I think she chickened out at the last second (Which saved her life) and imagined a better story. That's why the episode is called "Book of Nora" and the nun says "its just a better story" or whatever.

She chickens out, tells Matt to keep her secret. Keeps in touch with Laurie as she never truly moves on. Cant be with Kevin because he was right and she needed to be with her kids and she never got there, but finally 20 years later lives with the Lie that she went and came back, and if hes ok with it, shes ready to try.