The Leftovers

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah man, Matt's speech was brutal.

I get it, they were all fucked up and damaged people before. But, assuming Nora's story was true, to go through all that and come back, I can totally see how she would shut everyone out like that. I think she was happy to see him, she did go to the wedding, I think she was just freaked out because it had been so long and he was acting so weird.

I never considered that Nora may have lied until later. It's interesting to consider that interpretation. I think she was telling the truth, partly because I watched the "behind the scenes" thing after and partly because I just like that story better. But it's interesting to think about.

From everything we know about her character I just don't see her making something like that up. She's to much of a nihilist to care enough to make up that lie.

Her story was the perfect end and actually answers pretty much every question. All fuckery going on previous was just coincidence and people seeking some higher power type answers while collectively starting to go mad, which is what I always suspected.

I'd love to see three seasons of what the 2% went through. Still 140 million people spread over the world so definitely not world ending. When she initially was telling her story before I penciled out the math I was thinking no way civilization is still going on the other side.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Thats what irks me. Its a great ending, but they purposefully left it vague. Sometimes the artsy fartsy shit can fuck off. What a brilliant ending "The 2 percent thought we were all gone, and were happy and moved on, they felt lucky to be alive"

Meanwhile 98 percent cant handle the loss and descend into madness.

98 percent cant find peace or answer, 2 percent are just thrilled to be alive.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thats what irks me. Its a great ending, but they purposefully left it vague. Sometimes the artsy fartsy shit can fuck off. What a brilliant ending "The 2 percent thought we were all gone, and were happy and moved on, they felt lucky to be alive"

Meanwhile 98 percent cant handle the loss and descend into madness.

98 percent cant find peace or answer, 2 percent are just thrilled to be alive.

For lindelof this was not vague.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So I just got a picard from @Del on some post I made years ago. Did this turd end up being good?

• 2Worf

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I really disliked season 1 and still think that original book material was all in all pretty boring. Season 2 is amazing though and completely redeeming. I really think it's one of the best seasons of TV I've ever watched. The last season was really good too. I wasn't sure what I thought of the finale on first watch, but I've come around to it.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
From everything we know about her character I just don't see her making something like that up. She's to much of a nihilist to care enough to make up that lie.

Her story was the perfect end and actually answers pretty much every question. All fuckery going on previous was just coincidence and people seeking some higher power type answers while collectively starting to go mad, which is what I always suspected.

I'd love to see three seasons of what the 2% went through. Still 140 million people spread over the world so definitely not world ending. When she initially was telling her story before I penciled out the math I was thinking no way civilization is still going on the other side.
I think you have to walk away from the show assuming both scenarios could be true. We aren't shown what happens to Norah for a reason. It's on us to decide to go with faith or logic. Logically, it comes across as a lie. She was shamed and afraid and hid herself away. There is also a lot of things in the episode itself that backs up that she isn't being truthful.

But as viewers we all have faith that what happened to Kevin actually happened, right? Because we got to see it. But you can explain all of his arc with logic too. The last episode even gives us a medical condition to make it more plausible. All of his afterlife episodes could just be something happening in his head. Dreaming in situations where he didn't actually die. But no one watching the show actually thinks this. Because we got to witness it along with Kevin.

So with Norah does removing us from her journey cause us to lose faith? Without that, do you follow the logical conclusion that she's making it up? Either answer is fine. That was the whole point.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I finally finished this show. Fucking brutal and depressing ending. I believe Nora. Really really great series. I don't think I could re-watch it, but I enjoyed every episode. ... Was I the only one that thought Lori killed herself when she went scuba diving? Towards the last few episodes I was thinking they were going towards everyone killing themselves (decennia into madness as Gunnar wrote above). I really like the idea of the 98% can't handle it, and 2% are happy to be alive. And in Nora's case it makes sense because her whole family was gone so they only had to cope with one loss, but she lost everything... I'm sure any one of us that are parent's can't even begin to imagine the loss of a single child. I wouldn't want to be here alive if my daughter wasn't.

By the way, this show had phenomenal monologues. Nora's monologue at the end was heart wrenching and brilliantly acted. This show always had a lot of them, all brilliantly acted (another favorite was Kevin's dad and the old lady earlier in the season.)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So with Norah does removing us from her journey cause us to lose faith? Without that, do you follow the logical conclusion that she's making it up? Either answer is fine. That was the whole point.

While I agree taking this line of reasoning is perfectly fine, I just don't think it fits within her character's personality arc to make up the type of story she told, so I go down as firmly believing her story is the reality of the situation.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just finished this. Thought it was only OK. But the ending was much better than I was expecting.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Haven't read thread so sorry if this was asked.

Is this worth watching? I've had it reommended but then I saw it was written by Damon Lindelof...

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't read thread so sorry if this was asked.

Is this worth watching? I've had it reommended but then I saw it was written by Damon Lindelof...

People either love it or hate it.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finished season one, and I thought it was shit. Going to watch season two simply because I hope the GR's all die horrible deaths.

• 1Solidarity

Brikker

Trump's Staff
People either love it or hate it.

Do they give answers to all the mysteries that popup? Nothing infuriates me more in a show than leaving shit really open ended or never explaining random stuff. Lost is an extreme example of that. I'm 5 eps into S1 and basically don't know anything still.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Do they give answers to all the mysteries that popup? Nothing infuriates me more in a show than leaving shit really open ended or never explaining random stuff. Lost is an extreme example of that. I'm 5 eps into S1 and basically don't know anything still.

All i'll say is the show has a pretty satisfactory ending, especially for lindelof. But since it is lindelof, you're just kind of along for the ride. The show is more about their micro experiences vs a macro style wtf happened kind of thing.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, finished the series:
The event that happened. If Nora is telling the truth it would seem that there was once just one world, but then an event occurred which caused the creation of an identical world where those 140 million people appeared, though from there point of view 98% percent of the population poofed. Correct? So, what was the deal with Kevin "dying" and doing all the shit he did there and then coming back to life?

The first season was pretty bad, second season was better, and the third season was bad aside from the ending.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There was nothing to Kevin dying. He's just fucked up, so is his dad, so was Nora. I think Lindelof was trying to say something about how tragedy effects people. On the other world the tragedy was so huge that it brought them together. On this world, the tragedy was comparably small, but it was enough to just tip everything over that had been precariously balanced leading up to the event.

Season 2 was definitely the best. I liked season 3 ok, but without the ending it would have been a letdown. The ending really nailed it, though.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Man, fuck this show. That was not a satisfying ending for me and left so many loose ends like Lost.

Fuckin Lindelof. Never again.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
There was nothing to Kevin dying. He's just fucked up, so is his dad, so was Nora. I think Lindelof was trying to say something about how tragedy effects people. On the other world the tragedy was so huge that it brought them together. On this world, the tragedy was comparably small, but it was enough to just tip everything over that had been precariously balanced leading up to the event.

Season 2 was definitely the best. I liked season 3 ok, but without the ending it would have been a letdown. The ending really nailed it, though.

Agree completely

Brikker Brikker told you people either love it or hate it.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Man, fuck this show. That was not a satisfying ending for me and left so many loose ends like Lost.

Fuckin Lindelof. Never again.
I totally get not liking it, the show is not for everyone. But I don't see the loose ends. It wrapped pretty much everything up nicely.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity